Entry Level Graphic Design Position?

Steel X

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

As some of you may have known that I've already graduated from National Technical Institute for The Deaf at Rochester Institute of Technology. I earned an associate's degree in Arts & Imaging Studies studying graphic design. I completed my internship this past summer. Now I am looking for a job as an entry level graphic designer. Obviously, with the economy still in bad shape and other things aren't really helping many people find jobs. I have already made my online portfolio, my physical portfolio, and still continue to do some art work via adobe illustrator and photoshop. I still continue to learn how to improve my work through tutorial videos and such so...yeah. Anyway, I have already applied to like more than 20 jobs and still at it. Some emailed me back and said they already got someone else who "fit their needs" and others said they aren't hiring at the moment, but will keep my resume in case. Others said they like to have a phone conversation with me. Yet, I tell them that I'm deaf but I can speak to them through the speaker with someone who can assist me, interpreting what the person say in case I didn't understand it, or meet the person face to face meeting, so no response yet...lol anyway, I am trying to find jobs about anywhere in the Carolinas. My most preferred area would be in Charlotte, NC but of course I would try other places in case. I gotta risk myself to get a job anyway. My brother who is living in NYC said he would help me find one. I'm looking for some jobs in MI where some of my friends live there too so...I dunno. If you have any advices or anything like that on how to find a job, I would truly appreciate your advice. Thanks very much and I look forward to your response.

My best friend lives in NC and she's very involved with the arts. I also have a lot of NYC connections as a photographer if you want me to pass along your info.

Graphic design is a hard and competitive field. Everyone thinks they're an artist and there's always someone willing to do the job for free lol

If you want tips for starting your own freelance company feel free to private message me... It's another approach (screw the man!)

Appear that you have skillful on familiar with graphic studio app and concept on how to adverting. New demand that need to know more than just graphic designer; photography, artist, illustrator and creative leader. The more skillful you have, the best chance to be hiring. Video edit is bonus, which I'm not good enough. I'm still learning. YOLO

Also, a friendly tip, if you don't have a website/FB page, make one. It's the quickest way to send your work to people, and I noticed you didn't have any link provided in your post above. That's the biggest flaw I see in some people's advertising (take for example CL, which is BARELY advertising).... I'd NEVER consider hiring a person who works in the visual field who advertised photography/video/makeup artistry/modeling/etc without providing any info about how to see what I'm hiring them to do.

You may also consider talking with Kerri Clark... http://kerriclarkdesigns.com.... she's a deaf graphic designer. She might have some insight as to how to get your foot in the door

Also, a friendly tip, if you don't have a website/FB page, make one. It's the quickest way to send your work to people, and I noticed you didn't have any link provided in your post above. That's the biggest flaw I see in some people's advertising (take for example CL, which is BARELY advertising).... I'd NEVER consider hiring a person who works in the visual field who advertised photography/video/makeup artistry/modeling/etc without providing any info about how to see what I'm hiring them to do.

You may also consider talking with Kerri Clark... Kerri Clark Designs.... she's a deaf graphic designer. She might have some insight as to how to get your foot in the door

I know Kerri Clark and she's such a good photographer!

I apologize for not getting back sooner. Had a lot going on lately. Anyway, Ohmhlight, you can certainly pass around my info to others who are looking for an graphic designer. Let me know how I can forward my info to you. That would be very useful since my brother lives in NYC as well. :)

A really effective way get noticed is to customize the portfolio pieces based on the company you are applying towards. For example, you might have a detailed illustration that belongs on a museum wall however a corporate environment would probably rather see an order form example. Before selecting what to include get a brief understanding of the job, the look of their current work and any colors or styles they seem to favor.
Timing is also really important - it would be ideal to apply within 3 days of the job being posted.
It does take some extra work to prepare - but in my experience I was bombarded by 100+ apps in just a few days and many were extremely talented but were glanced over because they didn't show examples related to the job.
Dedicate some of your time to actively using your design skills and keep your resume active. Choose something that fits your lifestlyle: update your blog on a at least weekly basis with a tutorial or industry news, freelance, or help a non-profit etc...

I'd also suggest setting up a LinkedIn profile. I know one deaf guy who is getting into graphics designed and just got his degree in it last year as well and is looking around- he's in Maryland and has said that the graphics design field is TOUGH and extremely competitive right now- so hang tough.

I too am looking for work - mine is as a QA software tester (mainframe mostly...sigh..but it paid the bills lol). I get what you are saying about contacting and talking with recruiters. Most insist on telephone/voice. I can sort of do that but right now can't because of 'equipment failure" (can't afford to fix/replace...) so I try to give them other options- EMail, Relay (IM/text), Im/online chat or in person. Some are more than happy to do in person (as long as it is local and within 2 hours- I once drove up to Durham for an interview). Most don't understand or 'get' the whole text relay part. I don't have VRS (yet- not sure it's doable).

Phew... anyway.. best you can do is keep pounding the pavement and looking. I've been looking for 16 months now :(.

Yea, I've noticed that getting a job in graphic design is extremely tough than I've expected. I am still on the hunt for almost eight months now since I've completed my co-op internship back in August. I am still applying to more jobs, yet I still get turned down by many and I still have not got a single interview yet. I am currently working on logos for my clients as a freelance graphic designer now. I really hope I can be completely employed soon so I can get out and have my own place!

Best bet is starting business, but again the competition is fierce and cut throat businesses. I am now departing from IT field, after realize that job market out there is too saturated. Your pretty much stuck at "Buyers Market" where buyer is actually employers and they are out looking for top best designer at cheapest possible salary. 25 years ago, it is whole different ball game where back then it was seller market because not many skilled designers out there and employer had to pay premium due to lack of skilled designer. Not anymore. :(

Yes, I am going back to school this coming fall and it will be completely different field and I am going to pursuit something that is not popular for young generation. Perhaps you should think about career change but keep designer as side job so you won't lose much.

The only hot market for job is.... Medical field, Engineering, and interpreters! The rest, not much going on. I learn from my VR counselor last week. :( Believe it or not, they won't pay me finish my degree in IT! I could, but looking at my age, forget it. Yes, I was recommended go in medical field, and they will pay full no problem, and it was not my interest and had to turn down that field.

I am currently working on logos for my clients as a freelance graphic designer now.

put that in your resume or remember to mention that whenever you reach out for applications.. that can help. 8 months... it's been 17 months for me now :(

Diehardbiker, yikes... not exactly what I wanna hear lol. I will be talking to VR soon regarding job hunt and all that and see where I go. I hate to give up my IT field (it's my second "career" and I love it)but with the age now... I don't know how much harder its going to be. I don't have an IT degree either so I was lucky to do fairly well with jobs and all... Medical field? Hmm...

guess I'll see... :/

put that in your resume or remember to mention that whenever you reach out for applications.. that can help. 8 months... it's been 17 months for me now :(

Good idea. I will fix that on my résumé. Thanks! Yea it's really hard but I'm gonna give my everything I can to make it possible.

You may also consider talking with Kerri Clark... Kerri Clark Designs.... she's a deaf graphic designer. She might have some insight as to how to get your foot in the door

My Facebook page and tumblr are up now. Still adding more artwork in those sites.

Yeah, the job will always be there but not as hot as it used to be. Just that it will be much much harder to land a decent job. I'm sure those can find will probably earn little above minimum wage.

Diehardbiker, yikes... not exactly what I wanna hear lol. I will be talking to VR soon regarding job hunt and all that and see where I go. I hate to give up my IT field (it's my second "career" and I love it)but with the age now... I don't know how much harder its going to be. I don't have an IT degree either so I was lucky to do fairly well with jobs and all... Medical field? Hmm...

guess I'll see... :/

Don't give up, but you may need to expand skill with something else. I have multiple skills, and able to expand and because of multiple skills I have, I will have better chance of finding decent job in couple years from now.

My Facebook page and tumblr are up now. Still adding more artwork in those sites.

and get Linked-In too

Best bet is starting business, but again the competition is fierce and cut throat businesses. I am now departing from IT field, after realize that job market out there is too saturated. Your pretty much stuck at "Buyers Market" where buyer is actually employers and they are out looking for top best designer at cheapest possible salary. 25 years ago, it is whole different ball game where back then it was seller market because not many skilled designers out there and employer had to pay premium due to lack of skilled designer. Not anymore. :(

Yes, I am going back to school this coming fall and it will be completely different field and I am going to pursuit something that is not popular for young generation. Perhaps you should think about career change but keep designer as side job so you won't lose much.

The only hot market for job is.... Medical field, Engineering, and interpreters! The rest, not much going on. I learn from my VR counselor last week. :( Believe it or not, they won't pay me finish my degree in IT! I could, but looking at my age, forget it. Yes, I was recommended go in medical field, and they will pay full no problem, and it was not my interest and had to turn down that field.

what kind of medical field, business office?

Google yourself.
When the hiring manager is deciding who to interview they most likely will.

See if you are putting your best foot forward in the search engine. You may need to adjust how you name your images in your portfolio so they show up in a search.

no that's not true. they are looking for EXPERIENCED designer for the best bang of their buck. you're NOT gonna find a person like that for cheap price. it's an insult. right now - companies are hiring mostly people with experiences. that's why people fresh out of school are having hard time searching. I had easy time finding a job after college..... and after I got let go. no problem. my secret sauce? my resume was already filled with work experiences. and plus write a good cover letter.

Yes, I am going back to school this coming fall and it will be completely different field and I am going to pursuit something that is not popular for young generation.
cool. what field?

Perhaps you should think about career change but keep designer as side job so you won't lose much.
my recommendation would be is to show your unique skill and capitalize on that instead of being a broad type of this and that. every designer has its unique talent on specific thing so you need expand on that and impress them.

no. not true. I find it quite abysmal that many VR counselors are very clueless about job markets. I had to keep correcting my friends about what their VR counselors told them.

Engineering field has been getting hit pretty hard for some years now. The biggest portion of engineering fields rely on government contracts and you know that government fund has dried up a while ago.

Medical field... yep always high in demand.

Interpreters.... well not really unless you're certified beyond impression. I know too many "new" interpreters around here and then they changed jobs later on.

IT is always in high demand but you have to be experienced and you need to know many tools. It's still currently one of high-paying jobs. The hardest part is to always keep improving yourself and learning new tools because there will always be someone younger and better than you. the only way to stay ahead of them is to be experienced.... and you'll end up being their boss :)

Back