emission , oxygen senor

i notice a warning light that went on... i was thought it was related with brake thing.. but not.. then i was thought it was related with A/C but not..
then i was thought it was emission.. somehow i went to autoshop and they said it is oxygen senor..

what do you think?
can you tell me what i should do?
should i clean engine fuel injection before i go autoshop for oxygen senor repair or what?

let me know thank!

Easy. If you noticed your MPG drop down during engine light on then oxygen sensor or catalytic converter are bad. Check oxygen sensor with digital multimeter. Sometime cars have more than one oxygen sensor. Sometime bad catalytic converter knock oxygen sensor out.

Replace and reconnection battery is not always solve the problem.

OBD-II device is not alway right for troubleshooting.

Believe it or not, I disconnected the battery terminals for an hour and reconnected them. This ressetted the sensor, although if it shows up again, then something more serious is definitely going on under the hood.

it's what some people told me to cheat the DMV inspection test if you do not want to cough up $$$ for repair yet... because the fines for expired inspection sticker is kinda hefty.... :(

what is OBD II???

my engine warning light is off after it repaired.. so i dont see anything wrong.. so far it good to go! it all fine.. i hope i am right.. cross my finger if this would not make other more plm show up later on..

what is OBD II???

my engine warning light is off after it repaired.. so i dont see anything wrong.. so far it good to go! it all fine.. i hope i am right.. cross my finger if this would not make other more plm show up later on..

On-Board Diagnostic System

I've replaced oxygen senser myself. It's easy to do. I would check with autoparts store and see if they sell a senser for your car. If so, then see if you can replace it yourself if needed.

Keep in mind, sometimes the check engine light come on just cause the gas cap is loose. I would always check the gas cap before doing anything else.

hello secretblend.. you may can go dhh soon this april.. let me know if you can go.. haha

but it already repaired.. oh well i dont mind about rip off.. i just need to do it i dont want something make me keep worry all the time lol!

I've replaced oxygen senser myself. It's easy to do. I would check with autoparts store and see if they sell a senser for your car. If so, then see if you can replace it yourself if needed.

Keep in mind, sometimes the check engine light come on just cause the gas cap is loose. I would always check the gas cap before doing anything else.

Some cars are very easy to replace the oxygen sensor and some cars dont. I had to removed the back-cat off from car then replace the oxygen sensor then put back-cat back on. The oxygen sensors are on the top of catalytic converter. It's pain in ass. Some cars have oxygen sensor at front of the engine that where connection to catalytic converter that's pretty EASY.

I always tight the gas cap all in my life till I feel single click. Why should leave loose gas cap like that?

Some cars are very easy to replace the oxygen sensor and some cars dont. I had to removed the back-cat off from car then replace the oxygen sensor then put back-cat back on. The oxygen sensors are on the top of catalytic converter. It's pain in ass. Some cars have oxygen sensor at front of the engine that where connection to catalytic converter that's pretty EASY.

I always tight the gas cap all in my life till I feel single click. Why should leave loose gas cap like that?

because the gas station wants you to come back sooner! :laugh2: (assuming you're using full-service gas station)

because the gas station wants you to come back sooner! :laugh2: (assuming you're using full-service gas station)

Don't have full-service gas station in my area. :aw:

gas-statioin-parking-fail.jpg

I've done resetting engine check lights by bypassing OBD jack with one wire like paperclip or short jumper solid wire (18 or 20 guage wire) on 1990 Mazda Protege. I follow the repair manual on how to reset it. Also there's another way to jump wire to different setting on same OBD jack to get engine checklight to send out morse code to tell you what's wrong and follow it on the repair manual book. It's always an oxygen sensor.

Right now, my 2005 Dodge Durango just had it's engine check light lit on. It's kinda moody cuz sometime it doesn't come on and other time it does. One time the check light was on and I was entering ramp to I-435. I shift gear to 2 and kinda floor it to make engine go 4,500 rpm and once entered highway, the checklight went off and I shifted back to "D" and afterward problem solved for a while (last me 2 weeks) and then it came back on. I haven't reset the OBD jack yet cuz I don't have diagram and "morse code" chart with description of problem.

State of Kansas have NO Inspection. Cracked window, no muffler, engine check light lit, worn tires, missing or removed Catalyst converter... No problem. You can drive a rustbucket junker in Kansas and not getting caught by Cops (Done this, Done that :rofl2: ).. But in Missouri (I live just 20 min from State line of KS/MO), they're very strict. My Durango still have Missouri inspection sticker on windshield cuz I bought it from KC MO. I never need to worry about updating inspection.

I know Oxygen sensor are about between $15 to $50. It look like a sparkplug with permanent wire attached to bottom of manifold. I replaced one before on Mazda Protege and Mazda 323. It's kinda hard to remove cuz the rust. I use penerant lubricant to eat rust. (I had the one that is yellow cap with white can. I forgot what name of the brand but that thing you can spray on syrofoam cup and watch it "melt"). I left it there for 15 min to give it time to work through the rust. Then I tighten and loosen the Oxygen Sensor with care without too much force. Once unscrewed 1/2 way. Spray the lubricant on thread and screw back in and then unscrew so you lubricate thread on manifold to prevent stripping it while unscrewing it. This make the job much easier for installing new Oxygen sensors.

Catty

Did you know that heat can also help to loosen things up? I am not sure if you knew because you don't deal with heat thing.

Did you know that heat can also help to loosen things up? I am not sure if you knew because you don't deal with heat thing.

Yes it sure does. Let the manifold and Oxygen sensor cool off. Then you use torch and heat up the wall of Manifold around the Oxygen sensor. The heat expand the hole and make Oxygen sensor loose and easy to remove. I know I don't want to burn myself. I got burned several time and have several scars on my hand. I had nuf of it. :lol:

Catty

Yes it sure does. Let the manifold and Oxygen sensor cool off. Then you use torch and heat up the wall of Manifold around the Oxygen sensor. The heat expand the hole and make Oxygen sensor loose and easy to remove. I know I don't want to burn myself. I got burned several time and have several scars on my hand. I had nuf of it. :lol:

Catty

Figured. Never happen to me before. You know why? Wear the mechanics gloves. Yes, I am smart enough. :) Not just heat, good for metal cut, easy to hold the tools when tools is on oily from transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc.

Other glove I own exactly one. Blain's Farm and Fleet : CLC® Pit Crew™ Oil Change Gloves
that's I use for change oil. Used oil can damage your skin a little but new oil is ok.

Figured. Never happen to me before. You know why? Wear the mechanics gloves. Yes, I am smart enough. :) Not just heat, good for metal cut, easy to hold the tools when tools is on oily from transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc.

Other glove I own exactly one. Blain's Farm and Fleet : CLC® Pit Crew™ Oil Change Gloves
that's I use for change oil. Used oil can damage your skin a little but new oil is ok.

ah... one of those fancy heavy-duty mechanic glove with hi-viz at Home Depot.... Catty was probably using good ole' dirty Doc Brown gloves :lol:

ah... one of those fancy heavy-duty mechanic glove with hi-viz at Home Depot.... Catty was probably using good ole' dirty Doc Brown gloves :lol:

Probably. I noticed mostly older people hate to wear gloves because don't feel anything. I said well don't get cheap gloves. Get the mechanic glove that allow you feel anything when you touch.

highlander, lol that funny you post here with the picture! good one!

catty, isee!
i am not sure where is the excatly catyal conventor in my truck, toyota tacoma 98 4cyl.. i know where is my oxygen senor at.. i saw them which they put it there.. i didnt know where was it.. until that.. pah i saw! LOL! i was thought it was in engine , turn out NOT! it under! werid!

highlander, lol that funny you post here with the picture! good one!

catty, isee!
i am not sure where is the excatly catyal conventor in my truck, toyota tacoma 98 4cyl.. i know where is my oxygen senor at.. i saw them which they put it there.. i didnt know where was it.. until that.. pah i saw! LOL! i was thought it was in engine , turn out NOT! it under! werid!

it's always where Oxygen Sensor placed at Exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe connected to Manifold. Depending on make and model, Oxygen Sensor typically located where the hottest exhaust part of the engine. Sometime it is installed at Catalyst converter. If you see thing look like sparkplug screwed on side or front of Exhaust manifold or on pipe with 16 guage wire attached to it permanently, it's an Oxygen sensor.

Hope you'll find it this time.

Catty

Probably. I noticed mostly older people hate to wear gloves because don't feel anything. I said well don't get cheap gloves. Get the mechanic glove that allow you feel anything when you touch.

Exactly!! I don't always like gloves. I rather feel my way to find parts in tight spot. I can install, remove, or insert parts blindfolded. Just feel the way and using picture in mind knowing what it'll look like when you install parts without looking at it... So that's why I don't need gloves. Most professional Mechanics don't wear gloves much.

Catty

Exactly!! I don't always like gloves. I rather feel my way to find parts in tight spot. I can install, remove, or insert parts blindfolded. Just feel the way and using picture in mind knowing what it'll look like when you install parts without looking at it... So that's why I don't need gloves. Most professional Mechanics don't wear gloves much.

Catty

You still can feel anything thru right gloves like nitrile, latex,and thin leather. Just get the mechanics gloves and you will feel different than cheap gloves.

Yes, I hate mostly people who "professional" mechanics who don't wear gloves and they wasted their customer's time like they can't touch anything because too hot for and let cool down for replace the brake rotors, back-cats, engines, etc.. plus they don't care about risk their health.

REAL Professional Mechanics wear the mechanics glove and do fast job like Formula1, NASCAR, Rally, drag racing, and Off-road racing.

Back