Editing captions, removing content

I just finished creating my own srt (subtitle) file for a british tv show and I have a better understanding of CC on tv. Bottom line for prerecorded shows is that the CC is only as good as the transcripts/script handed to the person creating the CC. I started with a british transcript, commercials and all, and still found places where they had left words out. I am hoh, but volume is not as much of a problem for me with this ha as clarity is. That is why I decided to make sub files for shows that didn't have them. It took close to 9 hours to do a sub file for a two hour movie, most of that due to me being new, but it is also a matter of playing, watching the lips and listening, then rewinding and adding subs. Whew! I have a new, healthy respect for the ones that do CC for a living. Yes, they have a program, and are not hoh, but most of it is still done manually by use of the kb.
Actually, captioning is not done with a regular keyboard like you and I use. They use a court reporter keyboard which enables them to type MUCH faster than a regular keyboard. The timing is what takes the most time...getting stuff to show up on screen at the same time as the audio is playing. It does take many hours, which is why it is so expensive if you want something captioned!

Back