Earthquake in California

Yes, the highway 37 offramp to Sonoma was shut down due to damage and had over an inch gap.

So far no fatalities... the quake may hit at a good time when everyone is in bed and if it did happen in the day time where the more crowds are on weekends, we would be seeing much more casualties.

I can't believe all the damage in Napa. It was the rolling type of earthquake, those tend to cause more damage. That is why you see some of the sidewalks lifted like three feet and then it is ok, then lifted three feet then ok. Napa has so many older houses and buildings and those seem to have taken a big hit. So far no deaths which is amazing.

Loma Prieta quake I believe 62 people died. Most of those were when the Cypress Structure collapsed.

Poor California , forest fires ,droughts and earthquakes . I really love California .

It's great to live here really. I would rather here over Hurricane states. :lol:

Looks like the sources saying it is officially 6.1 on the richter scale.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7-MJpjaPA]Napa Earthquake Caught on Camera CCTV - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_o9kcgkeg]Earthquake inside Napa Pet Food Express store 8/24/14 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WRrKKw6ZKI]6.1 earthquake on 8/24/14 in American Canyon, CA (View 3/3) - YouTube[/ame]

It's great to live here really. I would rather here over Hurricane states. :lol:

I agree. I would not want to live where tornados occur. Tornados and hurricanes happen multiple times a year and usually cause severe destruction. California gets a big quake every 25 years or so and they rarely hit the exact same location.

California weather has spoiled me. I would hate to have to dig my car out, shovel my driveway or drive in all that snow a lot of you get.

My daughter in Ireland is getting tired of all that rain. It rains basically all the time there. She loves to hike, ride bikes and run outside. It gets messy walking the dog when it is really wet out. I'm hoping all that rain is making her homesick so she will come home soon.

I agree. I would not want to live where tornados occur. Tornados and hurricanes happen multiple times a year and usually cause severe destruction. California gets a big quake every 25 years or so and they rarely hit the exact same location.

California weather has spoiled me. I would hate to have to dig my car out, shovel my driveway or drive in all that snow a lot of you get.

My daughter in Ireland is getting tired of all that rain. It rains basically all the time there. She loves to hike, ride bikes and run outside. It gets messy walking the dog when it is really wet out. I'm hoping all that rain is making her homesick so she will come home soon.

I am not looking forward to having digging my car out in about 4 months .
When I lived in Berkley, Calf. I walked to the stores or took a public bus and I loved being able to grow a garden almost all year long.

The intensity compared to 1989 and Napa.

Last edited:
The Loma Prieta earthquake still gives me chills. Luckily the World Series was being played by the two bay area teams so there was very little traffic compared to a normal commute day. Everyone was at the game. I remember they first estimated about 250 deaths just from the Cypress Structure collapse. Thankfully that estimate was way high.

I remember one guy who was trapped alive in his car for several days til finally rescued but died some later.

Buck Helm: 90 Hours in Freeway Wreckage Created Quake Hero : Disaster: Tough longshoreman dies nearly a month after rescue from damaged interstate in Oakland. Respiratory failure is blamed.

The Loma Prieta earthquake still gives me chills. Luckily the World Series was being played by the two bay area teams so there was very little traffic compared to a normal commute day. Everyone was at the game. I remember they first estimated about 250 deaths just from the Cypress Structure collapse. Thankfully that estimate was way high.

Oh yes I remember this poor guy. No one could believe he survived that long. May he RIP now. The other really sad story on that same Freeway collapsed structure was when they had to saw through the dead mother to get her child out. It made big time news of course. It was terribly sad. I have some vivid memories of that day.

For about a month when everyone was driving to work, no one would stop under any of the bridges. It took a few months then everyone was back to normal.

Back