DVDs coming with no captions

Banjo said:
No, it came from a low-profiled distributor.

I find hard for me to believe it. Wow. That's pretty bad.

Eveth - My DVD player is hooked up just fine, I was able to view CC with my other DVD movies that has CC logo on the back cover.

Banjo - It was Elvira's Haunted Hills. It was a low budget movie. I guess they couldnt afford to add CC, but why bother adding CC logo on the back cover? My guess it's for extra profits they needed.

apathrev said:
I don't think this is really a case of discrimination, as much as it is expected demographic, production and time contraints.

ok but how can it be "time contraints" etc ?
ALL movies have "written documents"
BEFORE making any movies so
these written documents could be easily stored/converted
to captions immediately BEFORE production and
BEFORE distribution. Simple.

Banjo said:
No, it came from a low-profiled distributor.

Or it could have been pirated as many times I've seen them forget to copy the closed captionng onto the VHS. The same thing could be happening to the DVD's.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Or it could have been pirated as many times I've seen them forget to copy the closed captionng onto the VHS. The same thing could be happening to the DVD's.

Richard

MPI Home Video releases the Dark Shadows DVDs. I wrote to them when the DVDs first came out and they told me that there were no plans to CC the DVDs. Even though some websites that sell them advertise them as being CC'd, there is nothing on the boxes to indicate it. I just wrote them another letter and complained about it. I told them that they were deliberately snubbing the deaf/hoh community by not providing anything.

DarrenD said:
MPI Home Video releases the Dark Shadows DVDs. I wrote to them when the DVDs first came out and they told me that there were no plans to CC the DVDs. Even though some websites that sell them advertise them as being CC'd, there is nothing on the boxes to indicate it. I just wrote them another letter and complained about it. I told them that they were deliberately snubbing the deaf/hoh community by not providing anything.

MPI Home Video?

Figures. I don't believe they've ever put subtitles or captions on any of their DVDs. I know this because I've seen their DVDs in stores and they look like they're badly designed.

:topic: Excuse, me. I'm sorry.

I should say it, I rent Netflix. Anyways, I ordered it for "Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith" for bonus disc have closed-captions on all bonus features including: music videos, trailers, documentaries, and all of them
have CC! Isn't it suprising!? :jaw: It's great for it have closed-captioned
on bonus disc for them of all! :popcorn: I'm very happy with the Fox
did providing CC on bonus features, but it is only for Star Wars. Not of them
all movies without Star Wars, them would be probably not closed-captioned
on bonus features. I will pm you about DVD that need subtitles that even
not in U.S.A that I asking a question, it's okay to tell anything on
public forum about that importing DVD?? I am uncertainly about
the rules. If it has been allowed on the public forum? If you want to tell me, please write me, thanks.

Banjo said:
MPI Home Video?

Figures. I don't believe they've ever put subtitles or captions on any of their DVDs. I know this because I've seen their DVDs in stores and they look like they're badly designed.

A lot of their stuff is done very cheaply. I think we should embarass the hell out of them...somehow...as being hostile to the deaf/hoh community. Deaf/hoh people don't care about old movies, old TV shows, WWII, or documentaries?? They just plain do not give a shit and I think they deserve to be dragged through the mud. But I have no clue as to what actions we could take.

Another thing that I find aggravating...The Criterion Collection has a lot of great movies, both old and foreign, that are not available anywhere. Whereas the movies are subtitled, virtually NONE of the extras are CC'd unless there are mostly foreign interviews. And a lot of times the extras are extremely interesting. These disks are more expensive than your regular run-of-the-mill DVDs, too. To me that is just plain ignorant to not include CC. Most video stores do not carry these type of movies...certainly not Blockbuster.

DarrenD said:
A lot of their stuff is done very cheaply. I think we should embarass the hell out of them...somehow...as being hostile to the deaf/hoh community. Deaf/hoh people don't care about old movies, old TV shows, WWII, or documentaries?? They just plain do not give a shit and I think they deserve to be dragged through the mud. But I have no clue as to what actions we could take.

Another thing that I find aggravating...The Criterion Collection has a lot of great movies, both old and foreign, that are not available anywhere. Whereas the movies are subtitled, virtually NONE of the extras are CC'd unless there are mostly foreign interviews. And a lot of times the extras are extremely interesting. These disks are more expensive than your regular run-of-the-mill DVDs, too. To me that is just plain ignorant to not include CC. Most video stores do not carry these type of movies...certainly not Blockbuster.

MPI is just a low-profiled video distributor with small funds to spare. They won't last long because they lack the quality in their DVDs. I wouldn't' be surprised if they are already facing bankruptcy problems.

I agree with you on the issue concerning Criterion. To be frank, their special features aren't that big of a difference and even is inferior compared to many top-notch DVDs being sold at $15 to $30 around here. They do release a lot of great titles, but they definitely make it difficult for the deaf viewers to enjoy their DVDs. It's pretty much a rip-off. :-/

Back