Domain Name Question

Savvi

Reaction score
My domain registration was $8.00 last year. It was my first year. To renew the registrar is now asking $35.00. Is it common practice to increase the price this much once it has been established as belonging to a specific business?

My domain registration was $8.00 last year. It was my first year. To renew the registrar is now asking $35.00. Is it common practice to increase the price this much once it has been established as belonging to a specific business?

Depends on how long you wanted to renew your domain name. is the 35$ fee for one year's worth of registration?

BTW, you can renew from another registrar if you want.

In general its a good idea to start comparing prices and making arrangements to renew and transfer if necc. about a month before your rights to the domain name expires.

Sometimes there's a transfer fee, but some companies will forego that if you committ to paying a fee for one or two years at the same time. Its worth it to transfer to a business that has a reputation for reliability, accessibility and fairness (including not escalating the prices once you've signed up with them.) Google is your friend.

Another piece of advice that I usually see being repeated is to use different businesses to register your domain name and to host your site. Don't use the same business for both.

which service are you using?

Depends on how long you wanted to renew your domain name. is the 35$ fee for one year's worth of registration?

Yes it was for one year which is what seemed so excessive to me.

Last edited:
BTW, you can renew from another registrar if you want.

In general its a good idea to start comparing prices and making arrangements to renew and transfer if necc. about a month before your rights to the domain name expires.

Sometimes there's a transfer fee, but some companies will forego that if you committ to paying a fee for one or two years at the same time. Its worth it to transfer to a business that has a reputation for reliability, accessibility and fairness (including not escalating the prices once you've signed up with them.) Google is your friend.

Another piece of advice that I usually see being repeated is to use different businesses to register your domain name and to host your site. Don't use the same business for both.

That is really helpful. What registrars that you would recommend? I picked a nationally known company but I guess they are not as good as they would like me to believe. I don't have a good knowledge base for this so your input would really be helpful. Thanks

Last edited:
which service are you using?

I don't know if I can post the name of the service here. Would you know who I am having this problem with if I tell you the initials are NS?

That is really helpful. What registrars that you would recommend? I picked a nationally known company but I guess they are not as good as they would like me to believe. I don't have a good knowledge base for this so your input would really be helpful. Thanks

I just googled "domain name registrars review" and went by the reviews. I don't know a lot about this, but I did spend a few hours reading reviews and web sites about what the rules are for domain name registration renewal. Last time I went with Cheap Domain Names Registration, Domain Transfer, SSL Certificates, Free DNS, Privacy Protection • Namecheap.com

I use 1and1.com and they have not increased my domain registration price. That is a big jump in price. Make sure it is for 1 year. Not sure why some are saying not to use the same company to host your website and to register your domain. 1and1.com gives you free domain registration as long as you keep them as your host site. I have been using them for 3 years and have been pleased with them. I have 15 domains with them and they have not charged me more than what they offered. Sometimes you can get the first year at cheap price, then the next year will be regular price of $9.99.

I have heard good things about 1and1 also for web hosting.

I think the reason some people say not to use the same business for both web hosting and domain registration is for the same reason people say not to put all of your eggs into one basket. What would you do if a dispute came up?

But obviously not everyone agrees and it is an individual choice.

@Jazzberry, you are right, it's what works best for the individual. That's why you have to research before choosing what you do.

I have heard good things about 1and1 also for web hosting.

I think the reason some people say not to use the same business for both web hosting and domain registration is for the same reason people say not to put all of your eggs into one basket. What would you do if a dispute came up?

But obviously not everyone agrees and it is an individual choice.

In this case it was a good choice. I called my registrar to start the transfer process--didn't know I could do that so thanks for the heads up-- and they offered to renew for 8.99 if I would stay. Can you believe it. Then I can go through this same nonsense next year no doubt. I said no thank you. They may try this on me once but they will not get the opportunity to do it again. I am just numb. I can see the mess if they were also my web host. Now I just need to find someone with a really good reputation to transfer too. This is so unsettling.

I just googled "domain name registrars review" and went by the reviews. I don't know a lot about this, but I did spend a few hours reading reviews and web sites about what the rules are for domain name registration renewal. Last time I went with Cheap Domain Names Registration, Domain Transfer, SSL Certificates, Free DNS, Privacy Protection • Namecheap.com

Thanks for spending so much time on this. I do appreciate it very much. I don't know a lot about this stuff either obviously. I am just grateful I can ask here and usually get some pretty good advice.

Thanks for spending so much time on this. I do appreciate it very much. I don't know a lot about this stuff either obviously. I am just grateful I can ask here and usually get some pretty good advice.

Oh, I'm nice, but I'm not that nice! :) I spent the time researching when I needed to renew a domain name. The research took me awhile, but passing on what co. I decided to go with only took a few seconds. I realize my 2nd post in this thread wasn't that clear.

Oh, I'm nice, but I'm not that nice! :) I spent the time researching when I needed to renew a domain name. The research took me awhile, but passing on what co. I decided to go with only took a few seconds. I realize my 2nd post in this thread wasn't that clear.

Well, most of you are more familiar with research and the tools of the internet that allow you to do that than I am so it is very helpful to me when you at least point me in the right direction and suggest where I should begin. I can take care of critically ill people and bake a great cookie but this internet stuff just defeats me. :shock: Half the time I feel like I am visiting another country and I don't know the language much less what country. God gave me different talents so thank you for sharing yours.

Those sound like great skills Savvi, I wouldn't mind having those skills. :)

I'll just pass on another comment. I would make an arrangement to pay the next year's registration fees quickly. The arrangements you just made with the last registrar, IIRC, was to release the hold on the domain's name. Also, IIRC, you usually want it locked down tight* but you won't be able to do that until your next payment goes through with the next registrar.

Just keep proof of payment -- and you should be OK.

Oh, and I agree with you that it was a good idea not to keep using the first registrar. The way I see it, once someone proves that they are willing to take advantage of you -- that is all you need to know about them whether we are talking about a person or a business. I always try to drop those kind of people as quickly as possible.

* I don't remember the exact name of that process but that is the general idea.

Back