Does this happen often???

I just tell them to speak louder, as "I'm deaf". They will do this and because I'm H.I., can hear them make a fool of themselves.

Trish, welcome to the real world! Congradulations on knowing how we feel and of course, it is often. I get rejections often for many things such as employments (I am an Independent Industrial Designer, Artist, and Drafter) as you can see. Hey, I had to face BOTH sides of the fence. What I mean is that when I was a kid, I was send to a residental school for the Deaf and back then, I was very "hearing" HOH with excellent speech skills, grammar, you name it. It is all about jealousy and uneducated personality that they were not taught by parents.

Those construction workers were wrong. I sort of chuckled since it reminded me how movies and TV shows and commercials always show construction workers uneducated and flirt on young women and oh, how they picked on people who appeared different to the workers.

But that is not all, everywhere!! When I was in hearing high school mainstreaming, I ate lunch alone, I hardly have friends at all in school. Then after high school, in college when I was young, I only had one or two friends and the rest, they ignored me. Even a deaf woman in college tried to destroy me for no reason!

Then the reality out there, tough to get jobs, even tough to get a spouse!! I just got married just last August! I am 42 now. Got married 2 months before my 42nd birthday. Hearing women used me. They also rejected me anywhere I tried to meet such as at skating rinks, singles dances, trade shows, even churches! Sad world we live in.

Your teacher was correct to have a slient dinner and pretend to be deaf to give you and your classmates a full understanding how we feel. My wife understood over 17 years ago when she first took sign classes for 3 years and went through the same lunch or dinner with her class and the teacher. Now, she is happily married to me! I lost more hearing 2 and half years ago but still use my great voice! My wife really sign pretty well! Works out great!

I agree with one of you regarding about judgemental. Although it is not my place to judge people nor you should judge. Let...you know who takes care of this. The Creator will make that call on those who judged against you and me. What comes around goes around. Heard of that expression? I have seen this happened quite a bit. Even those who judged me or someone else, I can see what comes around. No wonder they either lost their jobs, their businesses, out of businesses, etc. I knew one who admitted to me that she judged against me and she lost her car and job. Long story.

Careful what you say though. Just ignore losers ok? They are uneducated. That is why I would like to establish Ethics course in high school as requirement for ALL students and ASL as requirement for all public related careers such as police, fire, medical, secretaries, counters such as fast food, etc. Would that be nice, heh? I would rather to see ALL try EVERY kind of ethical: Asian, Blacks (non-Africans), Africans, Physical Challenged, mental challenged, poor, Deaf, Native Americans, Homelesses, mental illnesses, oh I can go on and on. Would it be nice we have this? What about as punishments to take such ethical courses for every criminals who are ignorants making bad calls on us people? There is but they are not using this program. Instead judges put them in prisons. Not good enough.

So, Trish, yes, this does happen often. Welcome to our world.

thats horrible you shouldnt have to get used to it. there is simply no excuse for people to do this

My teacher who teaches us sign language told us a story. In her upper classes she takes her sign students out to eat. They are not allowed to talk at all. Only signs and fingerspell. They ahve to ignore hearing people the best they can. She said there were construction workers coming into eat. they kept making fun of them. There was also a guy who followed one of the students around saying mean things to them real loud. they had no idea that these were all hearing people who knew sign language. The teacher told the resturant and they made the men leave. i just find it crazy that people would act so horrible! Why would you do something like that?!?!? These were grown men who should know better! I was just wondering if anyone else has had an experience simlar. Does it happen often? I just don't know what is wrong with people. If you don't like someone i think you should just keep it to yourself not following them around saying awful remarks! I found this really mean and it makes me what to try this. It would be hard not to say something back for me but the students pretended not to hear. the teacher just wanted them to see what some deaf have to go through. Does anyone else have some awful stories like this?

Just beat them with purse then your problem will be solved. :)

Also, I'm sorry about people that who gave you a hard time.

Same with problem that went happen at Best Buy, one of manager was laughing at me when try to communicate in sign language, such as ask for pen and paper then he don't understand and asked one other employee for help to find DVD movies then tried asked her to get pen and paper then she got frustrated and walked to tell their manager about me then one manager asked me to leave for no reason, I told that I cannot using oral language and want communicate with pen and paper but they refused. I got pissed off and fuck to all stupid employee that who give a shit on consumer, also I'm shopping at Circuit City sooo often because they understand about me.

Screw on Best Buy!!!!

Same with problem that went happen at Best Buy, one of manager was laughing at me when try to communicate in sign language, such as ask for pen and paper then he don't understand and asked one other employee for help to find DVD movies then tried asked her to get pen and paper then she got frustrated and walked to tell their manager about me then one manager asked me to leave for no reason, I told that I cannot using oral language and want communicate with pen and paper but they refused. I got pissed off and fuck to all stupid employee that who give a shit on consumer, also I'm shopping at Circuit City sooo often because they understand about me.

Screw on Best Buy!!!!

U can sue them for that...that is discrimination right there if the manager told u to leave simply because u cant communicate using your voice. There is a big line between mocking deaf people and discrimination.

Thanks for info!

Screw on Best Buy!!!!
Thanks and I will not shop at BEST BUY ever again to join you, man! But.. please do not shop at Circuit City either because my friend tried to apply for a job at Circuit City's division, CAR MAX dealership and they REFUSED to give him an application for employment. I was there and asked the lady THREE TIMES for the application for my friend. I used my voice and my friend used sign language. Maybe it works for you because the company may have changed its policy after this incident in 2002. I still will not do business with Circuit City anyhow. I buy my DVDs elsewhere anyhow. For a computer, I will have to shop at Stables instead but they do not have much choices. Oh well!! Compusa is closing the store here in my hometown due to company downsizing franchises.

File a lawsuit against Best Buy and they will have to change policy. Contact ADA office at the Justice Department in Washington, DC. They are the same department sued against Denny's for discrimination that I know of...vaguely.

Last edited:
why should someone boycott a store because one person had trouble getting a job application? That makes no sense. I shop at Circuit City all the time and they are very understanding toward deaf people.. Maybe your friend was an isolated case.. You can't boycott a store based on ONE isolated incident..

If it was multiple incidents.. Ok I can understand that.. but just one incident? that's kind of ridiculous, If you ask me.

Some people are like that.. Sometimes you have to fight back or just walk away from the situation and be the better person. I always walk away from people who act like that, not my type of people who I want to be around. I will let you know if I like what you say or do.. Thats how I am, if I don't like the person then the person can go somewhere else because I know for a fact the person is basically a back stabber. Always choose your friends carefully..... But anyways, the students should stand up for themselves and do what is right

Back