Does deafness affect your other senses?

I am not sure if I am following you. Like I didn't hear which is the fifth sense. However, my vision is like double senses as fifth senses. Recently, one time, I asked was a simple question with my kid's friend's father's bumper sticker on his car in email. He didn't notice something so small on his bumper sticker then he had to take a look at his bumper sticker. He was shocked that he never noticed his bumper sticker for so years that I noticed something that i wanted to know what was it on his bumper stick while we were driving. This is when we drop our kids off for school, then on the way to work using the same road.

It would be cool if I adopted a deaf rottweiler some day to go with my current rottweiler who isn't deaf and see how they coexist.

Well, my Mika dog is deaf from birth and I am HOH. I noticed with her when we first adopted her, that she is "all eyes" on everything. Besides being a herder breed, she is intense in using her eyes. Watches *everything* from facial expressions to body language. Especially my hands as I learned dog training hand signs w/ a few ASL signs thrown in, to communicate with her for commands like sit, down, stay. We made up signs for "good dog" and "go outside?" :P So, when my husband & I are practicing our ASL lessons, poor Mika goes nutso because she doesn't know the signs and is trying to figuring out what the heck we are trying to tell her. She still doesn't quite get it, that we're not giving her signs, but giving each other signs. :mrgreen: I have become even more observant with my eyes, too, just like Mika. I watch mouths/faces when people talk to me, and I look for clues in body language, facial expressions, etc. I am also always scanning my surroundings when I'm out and about as well since I may not hear someone/something coming up from behind me or off to the side where I'm not looking or facing.

Several studies have been done on this finding that we tend to be more attuned to our peripheral vision. Also I find I am more sensitive to movement/ vibrations. I also interpret vibration for loud noise as a noise. like a motorcycle passing me, gunshot, thunder. you know any sound that causes actual physical sensation in the ear. I have zero residual hearing so I know I don't actually hear anything but somehow my brain registers these as sounds.
There are other reasons some people may notice things such as having OCD or being Autistic. I pretty much notice license plate when driving and will register all the personal ones without actively looking. same with billboard etc. yet every time I ask my wife who is deaf also if she saw it she never does. This I attribute to having Asperger's

My sense of smell is better with my hearing loss. My vision is getting worse, and so my sense of smell is getting even stronger.

I *feel* the vibrations in my chest from too loud car stereos (the kind that have the extra bass added :roll:) or just loud engines going by. Unfortunately, I can hear the lowest bass ranges somewhat still, unaided, while missing the higher vibrations. But it's an actual discomfort in my chest more than the hearing of the "noise." :(

I absolutely feel vibrations of the window that I sit near when there is thunder or the loud bass car stereos passing.

And I can feel vibrations of my dog's barking bounce off that window also.

I absolutely feel vibrations of the window that I sit near when there is thunder or the loud bass car stereos passing.

And I can feel vibrations of my dog's barking bounce off that window also.

I can feel the vibration of my dogs barking or growl through their leash. Finlay was growling at a guy once and I could not hear him but I could feel him growling through his leash. Finlay did not the guy and I did not like the guy too.
I can't stand the boombox people have in their cars. The sound and vibrations drive me nuts.

I feel vibrations a bit more than most people do, but my sight is also impaired. Not as much, and I do wear contact lenses, but in the dark I can see very little, and am left with not much to go on. I therefore rely on others to guide me in very dark and unknown areas and am very sensitive to small movements made by them.

Sudden movements make me jump very easily, as do very sudden sounds. I guess these are the only senses I have really noticed to have been more prominent due to my deafness.

My power HA make my vision bounce with the noise. For example, if I'm standing by a farm tractor idling, my vision will really bounce with the speed of the motor, and if you speed it up just a bit, my vision bounces faster, or if you slow it down, the bouncing is slower and more pronounced.

It would seem that one's brain "shifts to" vision and "tries to compensate" for the "decrease in Hearing".
That is my experience over the last 5 years since becoming bilateral DEAF on December 20 2006.

I do know I have incredible vision memory and Im not sensitive to pain. :cool:

My power HA make my vision bounce with the noise. For example, if I'm standing by a farm tractor idling, my vision will really bounce with the speed of the motor, and if you speed it up just a bit, my vision bounces faster, or if you slow it down, the bouncing is slower and more pronounced.

Trippy.

I have a more stronger feeling with vibration. when i'm in my bed, i can feel people walking through the hallway, and i can feel the thunder booming thats coming through my walls. I can also feel my dogs growl or bark through their leash and the motorcycle passing by while driving. In my house, we have a huge house fan in the hallway thats very very loud, and i can feel it a lot in my room on the floor and a little bit on my chest, especially when i'm in the hallway.

I have a fantaaaastic sense of humor! :D hehehe. I get the vibrations too, and the spastic peripheral vision (I always want to see everything and I absolutely must have you in my sight if we're walking together). It gets funny because I'm a little more sensitive to tricks of the light that my brain registers as weird images.

This is so interesting!! I have a super sensitive nose, I never really thought about it having anything to do with my hearing loss, but I suppose it could.:D

I find myself saying a couple times a week....if i was going to lose one my sense why couldn't it have been my sense of smell, my nose works too damn good. This is usually after I have worked on a particularly smelly client. I'm a massage therapist.....and some people are super stinky!!!! For some of my smelly regulars I put a few drops of aromatherapy on the skin between my nose and mouth so I smell that instead lol

It also makes me think of how many times I've been told I have "good hands", one lady even asked me if she thinks because I lost my hearing if my sense of touch increased...because I feel everything. I was like...uuuhhhh I don't know if it works like that. But I do have very sensitive hands! I wonder I wonder

To answer the question-I don't think DEAFness per se as such affect other senses. However one's brain adjusts to use other senses-vision to "compensate" for DEAFness.

Back