Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

Since such a person doesn't know ASL or Deaf history, how could he be a part of the Deaf community? Note that I used the capital D to denote the culturally Deaf. That captial D is not a typo.

I actually do know Deaf history, I learned some ASL AFTER I learned oral speak, and like it or not, I do want to be part of the Deaf community.

That is why I am spending time learning ASL now, and time on this forum, despite the way some people here treat me, which is just a little surprising.

I originally became politically active through the Organization of "Deafies for Obama" note it's capital D and not lowercase d.

I see it as the ability to overcome certain obstacles in life and you were able to succeed. Success is what you make of it. Not how it defines you.

Deafness is not the obstacle. Audism is. And you certainly haven't overcome that. You propogate it.

I actually do know Deaf history, I learned some ASL AFTER I learned oral speak, and like it or not, I do want to be part of the Deaf community.

That is why I am spending time learning ASL now, and time on this forum, despite the way some people here treat me, which is just a little surprising.

I originally became politically active through the Organization of "Deafies for Obama" note it's capital D and not lowercase d.

then I apologize shushugah :) I'm glad you want to be here and part of the community, I had assumed differently and very happy to be told I'm wrong.

Glad to hear that. You should be able to become a part of the Deaf community in time. However, you'd be advised not to discount our xp with the hearing world. That's just friendly advice. :)

Last edited:

It takes more than learning ASL. It takes correcting your audist perspective.

The "D" there is capitalized not for cultural reasons, but because it is in the name of the organization.

The "D" there is capitalized not for cultural reasons, but because it is in the name of the organization.

:) Apparently the bouncer of the Deaf community is hearing.

:) Apparently the bouncer of the Deaf community is hearing.

Who's doing any bouncing? If shushugh is sincere, he will enventally become part of the Deaf community. Accepting a culture that's new to you is not easy and there will be rough spots and misunderstandings as any one who grew up oral and then became Deaf will tell you.

Take a look as his posts: he was answering Messymama and Jiro who both posed scenarios of what they imagined his upbringing might have included and described it in very oppressive terms.

Jiro said to him:

To which he responds:

And to Messy Mama, who asks:

S. acknowledges that others have been oppressed, but insists that he has experienced otherwise. And in the next sentence, says: "I am completely cool with you not wanting to teach oral speech to your kids, that is your choice, lifestyle decision and opinion on the best way to raise a deaf student. "

And then again, he says : "I can only speak for my parents, not yours or most others really"

I really don't see how any of this invalidates someone else's experience. In fact, I see him as being very thoughtful of the range of experiences.

Couldn't have said it better myself, it's just said that my opinion doesn't count since I am not in full agreement with the general consensus on this forum.

I come here as a representative of the other side of the story in regards to cochlear implants, because I understand many people here have little contact or exposure with deaf people with CI.

People don't realize, but as a camp staff member, and life guard trained, as well as regular Water Skier, Kayaker, Canoer, Row Boater, and Sailor, as well as former member of my school's swim team, I have to deal with many challenges that are common to the Deaf.

I did a 50 mile canoeing trek, and I admit it seemed like a challenge, since the moisture in the air of camping really hurts the CI, and the high surrounding of water poses large risk. Nonetheless it worked out amazing, and it really puts perspective on the spelling of the world "Impossible" into "Im-Possible".

I agree with Jilio partially. Audism is most certainly the biggest challenge, however that's not to say, IF you want to live in a hearing environment, or be part of it, deafness too is an obstacle, very much like being a non spanish speaker in a south american country (besides Brazil anyways).

Does that make not knowing Spanish an inherent fault? No it doesn't, but I personally still think it's a limitation.

Couldn't have said it better myself, it's just said that my opinion doesn't count since I am not in full agreement with the general consensus on this forum.

I come here as a representative of the other side of the story in regards to cochlear implants, because I understand many people here have little contact or exposure with deaf people with CI.

People don't realize, but as a camp staff member, and life guard trained, as well as regular Water Skier, Kayaker, Canoer, Row Boater, and Sailor, as well as former member of my school's swim team, I have to deal with many challenges that are common to the Deaf.

I did a 50 mile canoeing trek, and I admit it seemed like a challenge, since the moisture in the air of camping really hurts the CI, and the high surrounding of water poses large risk. Nonetheless it worked out amazing, and it really puts perspective on the spelling of the world "Impossible" into "Im-Possible".

I agree with Jilio partially. Audism is most certainly the biggest challenge, however that's not to say, IF you want to live in a hearing environment, or be part of it, deafness too is an obstacle, very much like being a non spanish speaker in a south american country (besides Brazil anyways).

Does that make not knowing Spanish an inherent fault? No it doesn't, but I personally still think it's a limitation.

Actually, people here have a great deal of contact with deaf people with CI. There are many members of that category. There just isn't much contact with the CI users who do not involve themselves with Deaf issues.

I don't know what Grendel's problem is today, but she is just being a twit. She is what another poster called a "Jillist"[/d] today. So childish.:giggle:

:lol: When I first saw that earlier today, I thought that for a sec it was a typo for jihad. :giggle:

Do you know anything about this organization? You provided a plausible counter argument, which is rather impressive, except for one thing, that it's just plain not true and unfound. Rather than bashing me every step you can, since I will even agree with you if I agree with you, and disagree with you, because I disagree but not because your Jilio.

The organization functions and seeks to serve the "Deaf Community", as is understand by everyone here, however "deafies" like me, and others are allowed to get involved, since we didn't face as much bigotry or hate that brews on this thread. :type:

Do you know anything about this organization? You provided a plausible counter argument, which is rather impressive, except for one thing, that it's just plain not true and unfound. Rather than bashing me every step you can, since I will even agree with you if I agree with you, and disagree with you, because I disagree but not because your Jilio.

The organization functions and seeks to serve the "Deaf Community", as is understand by everyone here, however "deafies" like me, and others are allowed to get involved, since we didn't face as much bigotry or hate that brews on this thread. :type:

Yes, I do know about the organization, and not everyone who is a member of the deaf community is also a member of Deaf Culture. I am not bashing you. I am attempting to educate you regarding those things you are demonstrating no knowledge of.

shushuga - ok, you view your deafness as a limitation, not the hearing world's reaction to it. that's fine. there are many many deaf people here with CIs, in fact, some of them are responding to you. What makes you think we have little exposure to them here?

I don't know what Grendel's problem is today, but she is just being a twit. She is what another poster called a "Jillist" today. So childish.:giggle:

If you really want to assert your claim is childish, perhaps address any of the points she made, defending me in what was a flame attack for no reason.

I honestly fail to see how I even suggested nullifying other people's opinions here, and yet you tell me my opinion is insignificant.

Seeing you didn't respond to any of GrendelQ's serious posts, I am not sure what else GrendelQ is supposed to do, since it's clear you will ignore a good comment when you see one, and instead turn this into a name calling thread. I will not partake in that.

shushuga - ok, you view your deafness as a limitation, not the hearing world's reaction to it. that's fine. there are many many deaf people here with CIs, in fact, some of them are responding to you. What makes you think we have little exposure to them here?

Mm someone didn't notice my signature.

Back