Do we have a challenge ahead of us to avoid becoming Hearing?

Nope. Puts the focus on weakness instead of strength. The word "loss" is inherently negative as it's very definition means having less than what one had previously.

Deaf works very well. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Deaf is good enough for me. I function like someone who's HoH but I have nearly always referred to myself as deaf.

I am starting to think maybe the Deaf in North America need to create their own town and industry! There's a town in Quebec that was founded by the Jewish Orthodox specifically for the reason of creating a community of their own with their own schools, businesses, and way of life. Also, anti-semitism was so prevalent that the Jews created their own hospital in Montreal where my best friend works because Jews couldn't get jobs as doctors in "regular" hospitals.
Is there such a town that's primarily deaf people in North America?

I am starting to think maybe the Deaf in North America need to create their own town and industry! There's a town in Quebec that was founded by the Jewish Orthodox specifically for the reason of creating a community of their own with their own schools, businesses, and way of life. Also, anti-semitism was so prevalent that the Jews created their own hospital in Montreal where my best friend works because Jews couldn't get jobs as doctors in "regular" hospitals.
Is there such a town that's primarily deaf people in North America?

There was going to be, but it never came to fruition.

Damnit! I would love to live in Deaf Town. If i ever win the lottery, the first thing I would do is find a way to start up a huge company that hires only deaf people so we can start creating our own community. I often fantasize about that.

Damnit! I would love to live in Deaf Town. If i ever win the lottery, the first thing I would do is find a way to start up a huge company that hires only deaf people so we can start creating our own community. I often fantasize about that.

Have you heard of the Martha's Vineyard Deaf community?

Actually, yeah, I did hear of it in passing but never really read up on it. Thank you for reminding me, will go google them now :)

Actually, yeah, I did hear of it in passing but never really read up on it. Thank you for reminding me, will go google them now :)

Hearing people in that community learned ASL because it was the language of the community.

Thought so. That might've been interesting. But I don't think I would have moved there.

Hearing people in that community learned ASL because it was the language of the community.

Just learned the basics of the history of Martha's Vineyard but wow, sounded great! Made me laugh to learn that some hearing residents thought deafness was contagious because there were so many deaf people. But really loved that deafness was never considered a handicap in that community, just simply a way of life.

Exactly. An individualistic mind set give free license to paternalism. It is all about what is best for me. How many times have we seen hearing parents say that learning a whole new language was just too hard? Too hard for whom? For the hearing parents, obviously. The deaf child would learn it more readily than the parents' spoken language. Parent and child roles get reversed, and the child is given the burden of meeting the parents' needs.
That's the downside of individualism. Great points.

But not sure what you mean with free licence to paternalism? Do you mean traditional western machismo values? Or that mixing paternalism with individualism have some unwanted effects? Just curious, because I have the idea that machismo values have little with suppression of deaf people to do. One reason is probably because I'm a male myself ;) The second reason is that of all the places I've travelled in the world, the places where I've experienced deafness as a minor issue and welcomed as an equal, have been in parts of middle east, in spite of those societies beeing very paternalistic.

i have always known this but not in words, it is really a concern to me, of what the situation, of how the individualism in society impacts, what really gets to me, is that this kind of 'thinking' grants parents/audi/teachers power to 'give guide' to d/Deaf children /and parents of deaf children to make a decision to 'overcome the "social problem of 'deaf culture and/or social restraints which deaf people are subjected to by false suggestions that being hearing or half-hearing( or half-deaf, namely HOH) would give better oppurtunity in 'life' (that is a 'hearing "normal" life). In saying this, the individualistic approach is also 'awared' by all, SO the deaf childern are somewhat duped into thinking 'they made the decision themselves to succeed or to wear hearing aids or to be with hearing children' but all along it wasn't a case of being guided, it was persuaded.
Interesting. While people like to think of individualism as something that fits liberalism and an open mind, I see some facism in it, too. It's like the monty python movie, "life of brian", where brian shouts: "You are all different!", and the crowd replies with: "Yes! We are all different!".

Some parents gets a deaf kid, and refuse label the deaf kid as "deaf", and prefer it to be unique. But the moment they do that, they do something very typical and not very unique, and take away something from the deaf kid, limiting it's choices, and that's not liberalism, that's facism.

ETA, this is probably something of the same Jillio wrote in her reply to your post, just worded a bit differently.

pa·ter·nal·ism

   [puh-tur-nl-iz-uh
thinsp.png
m]
–noun the system, principle, or practice of managing or governing individuals, businesses, nations, etc., in the manner of a father dealing benevolently and often intrusively with his children: The employees objected to the paternalism of the old president.

me too

I reading comments I am pretty interesting, challenge improve commuication your skill promote become smart and very good quality trust, honest!

support encourage to value to improve your mind strong you give up! I think so good idea improve your skills change your, I do it best hard work responsibility , I might to help supportive mind offer I am support! not serious they right help you encourage, your will defender and then empower! I am experience too many research! It ins interesting new improve skill role focus on worth Challenger go to do it

Jillio, I would call it dominantion rather than paternalism. Hearing people have domination over Deaf people. I understand the paternalism reference because male domination exists. I mean that men control most of the resources, like power, money, lucrative jobs, etc. So, the most dominant people in our society are men who are WASP, able-bodied, hearing, etc. You know, the top 1-2% who have most of the wealth.

I'm hearing and you are more Hearing than I am, so that is not a decision you and I should make, is it?

Perhaps explain it some more...and especially the last paragraph I'm referring to in your previous post. I'm perhaps thinking one thing than what you are attempting to explain.

Back