Discussions of mental illnesses and conditions

There is a degree of egoentricsm in BPD to be sure. But it is egocentricsm without a lack of empathy. Sociopaths are without empathy, and lacking empathy in and of itself contains egocentric attitudes. So when we say that sociopaths are lacking in empathy, the egocentricsm is implied. But when we say that BPD suffers are egocentric, a lack of empathy is not implied. Sociopaths will normally have very established patterns of behavior that are deviant, and criminal activity is but one facet.

As for DD's question and I bolded Jillo's post as well cuz it pertain to this post:
What would you diagonse someone with if they didn't have emapthy but weren't a criminal or a bad boy?

I would assume that such a person would find legal if not ethical ways to exploits others. One expert on sociopaths said the stock market is an ideal place to go hunting for sociopaths to study because they're drawn to it and find it a gold mine of viticims to exploit.

As for DD's question and I bolded Jillo's post as well cuz it pertain to this post:

I would assume that such a person would find legal if not ethical ways to exploits others. One expert on sociopaths said the stock market is an ideal place to go hunting for sociopaths to study because they're drawn to it and find it a gold mine of viticims to exploit.

Exactly. Exploitation of others can easily be defined as deviant behavior. Yet it is not always criminal behavior. That is why I said criminal activity is but one facet of sociopathic tendencies.

Those dx'ed with BPD will manipulate, and sometimes exploit others, but do so within the framework of established personal relationships. Actual criminal activity or deviance is rarely seen. These individuals manipulate from an emotional framework, and their motives are quite different than someone dx'ed with a sociopthic disorder.

Mod's Note:

All those moved posts of mental illnesses and conditions are from "Father held Daughter in Cellar for 24 years" thread. :)

interesting thread id need to sit down and re-read as i dont click on psychology that well, its a different ballgame from sociology

interesting thread id need to sit down and re-read as i dont click on psychology that well, its a different ballgame from sociology

Not so different. Psychology simply focuses on the individual while sociology focuses on the group. But many of the concepts are the same. Personally, I take the view that the two cannot be separated as the group influences the individual and the individual influences the group. That's why, as an undergraduate, I chose a psychology major with a sociology minor.

Interest to read here. I avoid read one about dad who kept his daughter in cellar. Too sick in my stomach to think about it and to me he is not a man at all. Is he fits in one of those men, sexual violence predator?

Those dx'ed with BPD will manipulate, and sometimes exploit others, but do so within the framework of established personal relationships. Actual criminal activity or deviance is rarely seen.
Would that be like lying to authrorities about someone stalking you? The person that I can't quite decide has BPD or not, once claimed that her ex was stalking her. She would aslo pit people against each other. Like she told my best friend such bad things about a mutual friend of ours, that Becca didn't like my friend Lis. Then Becca realized that Lis was OK, and that Nicole was making the shit up.....I also know that Nicole pretty much coldbloodly dumped Lis and another friend.

Really? Then how come APD and borderline personality disorder have NOT met with sucessful treatment outcomes? APD and BPD are extremely hard to treat.....and I would bet that almost all the ones that have been sucessfully treated, were borderline.

DD You really need to get yourself off the web and learn to talk to people with these things you spout about.

BPD is successfully treated with dialectical behavior therapy. Admittedly, it takes awhile for the person with BPD to show improvement, but it DOES happen! Since you're so fond of research, you should know that once the person with BPD reaches their mid 30s-40s, there is a vast improvement in a BPD sufferers symptomology.

The reason BPD appears to have such a tricky outcome has alot to with co-morbity. Alot of people with BPD also suffer eating disorders, which can have an affect on outcome. But, to say that a person can't be treated successfully because they have BPD is bullshit!

I really wish you'd shut up about things you only think you know about, because you really have no clue!

DD You really need to get yourself off the web and learn to talk to people with these things you spout about.

BPD is successfully treated with dialectical behavior therapy. Admittedly, it takes awhile for the person with BPD to show improvement, but it DOES happen! Since you're so fond of research, you should know that once the person with BPD reaches their mid 30s-40s, there is a vast improvement in a BPD sufferers symptomology.

The reason BPD appears to have such a tricky outcome has alot to with co-morbity. Alot of people with BPD also suffer eating disorders, which can have an affect on outcome. But, to say that a person can't be treated successfully because they have BPD is bullshit!

I really wish you'd shut up about things you only think you know about, because you really have no clue!

:gpost:

DD, you need to stop spouting shit about things you know NOTHING about. :roll:

Would that be like lying to authrorities about someone stalking you? The person that I can't quite decide has BPD or not, once claimed that her ex was stalking her. She would aslo pit people against each other. Like she told my best friend such bad things about a mutual friend of ours, that Becca didn't like my friend Lis. Then Becca realized that Lis was OK, and that Nicole was making the shit up.....I also know that Nicole pretty much coldbloodly dumped Lis and another friend.

Oh, yeah. Lying about someone stalking you would be a way to manipulate friends' reactions and become the center of attention.

You are correct on all counts.

Excuse me Oceanbreeze and Lucia, you don't have to be SO FUCKING RUDE about it! I honestly think that if you had dealt with the types of BPD folks that I have, you would have a pretty bad taste in your mouth about them.
Like the types I've dealt with, are the kind who are maybe a few degrees removed from being Fatal Attraction-y. It's almost like they really get a sadistic pleasure fucking with their interpersonal relationships. Kind of like Muchansen's by proxy, but for social emotional things. Yes, I know it's not exactly their fault.....but still......I mean the person I know with it, was almost sociopathic in her fucking with interpersonal relationships. It was just SO beyond cruel how she would fuck things up. Like she would treat other people like they didn't have ANY feelings whatsoever. I would say she had it on a moderately severe level. (severe in my opinon is Fatal Attraction style)
I was speaking from what I have read......and no, I didn't just read it on Wikkipedia. My Ab Psych book (2001) states that BPD is one of the most difficult mental disorders to treat, and there's very few resources to really treat it effectively. I'm not too surprised that there have been cases that have been treated, but I would say that most of them were prolly quite mild relatively speaking. Has there ever been a severe case treated sucessfully?The way that the severe cases treat other people is just SO inhumane. It's like they don't have any empathy towards other humans. See what I'm saying now?

Excuse me Oceanbreeze and Lucia, you don't have to be SO FUCKING RUDE about it! I honestly think that if you had dealt with the types of BPD folks that I have, you would have a pretty bad taste in your mouth about them.
Like the types I've dealt with, are the kind who are maybe a few degrees removed from being Fatal Attraction-y. It's almost like they really get a sadistic pleasure fucking with their interpersonal relationships. Kind of like Muchansen's by proxy, but for social emotional things. Yes, I know it's not exactly their fault.....but still......I mean the person I know with it, was almost sociopathic in her fucking with interpersonal relationships. It was just SO beyond cruel how she would fuck things up. Like she would treat other people like they didn't have ANY feelings whatsoever. I would say she had it on a moderately severe level. (severe in my opinon is Fatal Attraction style)
I was speaking from what I have read......and no, I didn't just read it on Wikkipedia. My Ab Psych book (2001) states that BPD is one of the most difficult mental disorders to treat, and there's very few resources to really treat it effectively. I'm not too surprised that there have been cases that have been treated, but I would say that most of them were prolly quite mild relatively speaking. Has there ever been a severe case treated sucessfully?The way that the severe cases treat other people is just SO inhumane. It's like they don't have any empathy towards other humans. See what I'm saying now?

Yes there has.

DD get off the high horse... you think you know everything..but you dont.... we all are only human beings.. and still learn something new everyday... Miss Know-It-All... thats enough...

DD get off the high horse... you think you know everything..but you dont.... we all are only human beings.. and still learn something new everyday... Miss Know-It-All... thats enough...

Thank you, SP. She doesn't know what she thinks she does.

Why the fuck are you guys being SO rude to me? ALL I said is that I've had some REALLY bad experiances with BPD types. I never claimed to know everything about BPD. Seriously......if you guys had known Nicole you would have a very bad taste in your mouth about more severeish BPD types. That's great that severe cases have been treated sucessfully. Maybe then, there will be less grief and drama in the world.

Why the fuck are you guys being SO rude to me? ALL I said is that I've had some REALLY bad experiances with BPD types. I never claimed to know everything about BPD. Seriously......if you guys had known Nicole you would have a very bad taste in your mouth about more severeish BPD types. That's great that severe cases have been treated sucessfully. Maybe then, there will be less grief and drama in the world.

Well , you also made insulting blanket statements about Asperger's/HFA, which is my peer group.

You sort of bring this on yourself.

Back