Digital Phonak NAIDAS 9 UP

Recover5302

Reaction score
Are they good?
How does a digital hearing aid sound?
Do you adjust to them pretty easy?
They also said that I would get an ICOM and CONTROLLER for them.
I am wondering if they are worth the money. 5,000 isn't cheap LOL.:giggle: They look bulky?....ARE THEY?
What is your favorite thing about them?
These seem to be very popular and top of the line THANKS

What kind of hearing aids do you use now?

I have Phonak Savia Arts, also very expensive. They are a few years old now, and don't have that iCom and Controller set (not available).

The sound quality is pretty good, generally, and like most digital aids, it's possible to put in varous programs. I use speech-in-noise and music quite a lot.

There's something about digital aids where the sound quality of speech is not as warm as with analog aids. Voices can sound tinny and echo-ey. The echoing sensation can be adjusted by the audi; the tinny sound can be adjusted to a degree, but part of it is just the differnce between an analog aid vs. a digital one.

A lot of people here on AD use the Naidas and seem to be happy with them. Hope some of those folks will chime in with their opinion for you.

I have the Naida IX (9) UPs and am very happy with them. I have severe-to-profound hearing loss. After adjustments I feel like things sound normal (I'm late-deafened). They may sound tinny or echo-y at first, but the audi should be able to make the necessary adjustments...and the same with your brain - adjusting to the "new" sounds.

Ask your audi if s/he does REM (real ear measurement). Many do not (because the equipment is expensive). I'm glad my latest audi did REM because it confirmed that I was getting too much bass for my low-freq loss and she was able to adjust the HAs based on the REM. This is not specific to the Naidas. I was having the same problem with my Oticon Sumos but that audi did not do REM and I never got around to telling her that occasionally I felt I was getting to much bass (from the TV when I was not directly in front of it).
Only you can decide if you want/need the IX's vs the V's because, I believe the only differences are not specific to sounds but to "extras". You can compare them on Phonaks website.

I'd say if you were getting the iCom that you wouldn't really need the nines...unless you really want the zoom feature but that's just my personal opinion

I have the Naida IX (9) UPs and am very happy with them. I have severe-to-profound hearing loss. After adjustments I feel like things sound normal (I'm late-deafened). They may sound tinny or echo-y at first, but the audi should be able to make the necessary adjustments...and the same with your brain - adjusting to the "new" sounds.

Ask your audi if s/he does REM (real ear measurement). Many do not (because the equipment is expensive). I'm glad my latest audi did REM because it confirmed that I was getting too much bass for my low-freq loss and she was able to adjust the HAs based on the REM. This is not specific to the Naidas. I was having the same problem with my Oticon Sumos but that audi did not do REM and I never got around to telling her that occasionally I felt I was getting to much bass (from the TV when I was not directly in front of it).
Only you can decide if you want/need the IX's vs the V's because, I believe the only differences are not specific to sounds but to "extras". You can compare them on Phonaks website.

sound tinny or echo-y?/ whats that mean lol..well she doesnt do REM. What aboutt size they look huge lol?

I'd say if you were getting the iCom that you wouldn't really need the nines...unless you really want the zoom feature but that's just my personal opinion

She said these are for my profound loss. Thats why she recommeded the Nines. The ICOM and remote were recommended as well.
i don't know if Icom would be any good because I don't use the phone. It would be nice to hook it up to a tv or music on the computer. I have no idea how that works.

She said these are for my profound loss. Thats why she recommeded the Nines. The ICOM and remote were recommended as well.
i don't know if Icom would be any good because I don't use the phone. It would be nice to hook it up to a tv or music on the computer. I have no idea how that works.
V (5) vs IX (9) - don't think there's a difference as far as your loss is concernred. I think it's more "features". I have severe-to-profound loss and trialed the V's first then the IX's. Unless the IX's have the sound recovery (where it transposes high freqs that you can't hear to a lower freq that you can hear) and the V's don't. She may be trying to sell you the high-end ones for $$. I'd say, trial the V's first, then, if you think you'd like to try the IX's, trial them. Then decide which one's meets your needs. I chose the IX's because I happen to have the $$ and figured I'd get the extra features just in case they'd come in handy "down the road". I have used the zoom a couple of times, but not often.
As to listening to the TV with the iCom, you can either plug it in (and deal with the wire) or buy the Phonak TVLink that bluetooths to the iCom.

and the duophone feature is the same thing as using bluetooth for the phone on the iCom and the v does have transposition because I use it on my naida v's

Loveblue, when you use the iCom to listen to TV, does that give you enough understanding that you can enjoy TV with the CCs off, or do you still use CCs?

Loveblue, when you use the iCom to listen to TV, does that give you enough understanding that you can enjoy TV with the CCs off, or do you still use CCs?
I have pretty good hearing with my HAs and even w/o if I have enough amplification, so yes, I don't need the CC but I keep it on just in case I miss something. My audi (and previous audi) are amazed at my speech discrimination scores considering how bad my hearing is.

I would say you can hear the TV as well as you can conversations in a quiet environment. And you can always turn up the HAs if you need to. Unfortunately, the iCom does not have volume control.

Yeah, but I took the test and she recommended them. I knew there was another way. AHHA just kidding. But i am really excited. I usualy don't depend on hearing aids that much. She told me these would open up my world. LOL I am suprised about all of the features. I had no clue that they had all of those options. The icom interest me the most. Pretty cool. I can't wait. It was alot of information. I went to several boards and they said it has a way of cutting off? So you would have to get used to it? And music was distorted and it sounded robotic..?:giggle:

Also what about the size? If they are big I can get junior ones lol..from the pic they look a little bigger than the SP or V or whatever.

the ix is the same size as the v the only diff is if you get a super power or ultra power..the UP is bigger cuz it uses a 675 batter and SP is 13 battery

V (5) vs IX (9) - don't think there's a difference as far as your loss is concernred. I think it's more "features". I have severe-to-profound loss and trialed the V's first then the IX's. Unless the IX's have the sound recovery (where it transposes high freqs that you can't hear to a lower freq that you can hear) and the V's don't. She may be trying to sell you the high-end ones for $$. I'd say, trial the V's first, then, if you think you'd like to try the IX's, trial them. Then decide which one's meets your needs. I chose the IX's because I happen to have the $$ and figured I'd get the extra features just in case they'd come in handy "down the road". I have used the zoom a couple of times, but not often.
As to listening to the TV with the iCom, you can either plug it in (and deal with the wire) or buy the Phonak TVLink that bluetooths to the iCom.

I see some duplication issues here with the zoom feature on both the Smartzoom vs. the 9X Naida zoom features. Also, if one has the ICom, doesn't the Smartzoom contradict the bluetooth features on the TVlink/ICom options? It sounds as if the Smartzoom is hardwired to the TV and needs to be set up each time one is to connect.

Isn't ICom/FM modual and the Zoomlink is a better combination in the real world?

Richard fr Monterey

yeah, IX is the same size as the V. I've used both UPs, no difference in size. I have the IX... only feature I can't truly take advantage of is the Zoom, as you need 2 IX's for that to work (I only have 1, no point in getting a nice new powerful hearing aid for my dead ear). But even with the 675 size battery, it's really not that HUGE on the ear. It's a pretty nice size. I remember older 675 battery HAs being bigger and clunkier. :)

Only difference between the UP and SP/Jrs, would be how much power they provide, depending on your loss.

Those are good aids. I personally would never pay that for aid(s) though.

Back