Did the internet help you with speaking?

FrancisM

Reaction score
My father has said that shortly after we got an internet connection my grammar and speaking style improved. I being young at the time, never noticed anything. I was wondering if anybody else noticed something like this? Did you or someone you know, speaking 'style' and grammar improve after participating in chat rooms?

I think the internet has greatly improved my writing and grammar. But, I have noticed that my spelling is quite bad. I used to have good spelling.

I don't really know about using chat rooms to improve grammar and spelling though, because I think most people communicate using mobile phone style writing.

After mulling it over in my head I think a better way to say what I mean is, being able to observe in writing how a normal flow of oral conversation works.

My father has said that shortly after we got an internet connection my grammar and speaking style improved. I being young at the time, never noticed anything. I was wondering if anybody else noticed something like this? Did you or someone you know, speaking 'style' and grammar improve after participating in chat rooms?

Writing emails daily and corresponding with many hearing employee in real world has forced me to improve my English skills. I continue to improve daily. Even my wife has noticed my skills improved a lot in past 3 years since I graduated from Gallaudet.

However, I am opposed to chat room or any form of Instant message such as AIM, MSN Messenger or Yahoo IM. Whatever you want to call it, I noticed that speed of respond causes people to be sloppy with their language skills. Such as ILU, U, R, MSG, DNT... Sometime people start writing emails and use those short cuts, they forget what the real word and cause harder to break the habits. So since I fully stopped using AIM as daily usage, my English skills have improved a lot. So encourage to avoid quick respond AIM and take your time to write clearly. It better to be clear as possible than be gibberish with your typo.

I had to use spell check to clean up my spelling every post I have made. I did forget to do few of them but most I double check my spelling. I often force myself to remember the new form of spelling and use it often as possible.

So overall, it does depend what form of Internet you are talking about. Your English writing skills will improve and become more clear. AIM vs Emails/forums.

Back