Dicussion about CI.

Cloggy, you're still not responding to MY points, that I'm bringing up!
Seriously.........every single generation brings new hearing parents who think that "things are suddenly different"...................Sorry, but there have always been a significent number of functionally hoh kids.....the technology used to make them hoh doesn't matter...........there have ALWAYS been kids who do decently in the mainstream. We are some of them.

I got an CI because I wanted to hear my children's voices and to hear them say ILY Mom to me, I wanted to communicate better with my ex husband and my family. I wanted to do many things that I have never done before and use it when I am a registered nurse. Now I have an CI and I am loving every minute of it because I have more confidence in myself to do anything that I want to do in life. I heard so many things that I have never heard before.

The thing is that I grew up in a hearing family and I grew up oral with English signs. My dad used English before he knew about ASL. My mom, her boyfriend Ron, and my grandparents knows some english signs but still speak to me just fine.. if I couldn't understand they would have written it down on a paper and pen. I use oral and ASL now. So what? I grew up with hearing people and was in hearing world with a few deaf people I knew in my life. I didn't learn about ASL until I was in a deaf school and I was open up to the deaf world. Now I love both worlds that I have. My dad is involved in the deaf community and heck he is thinking about becoming an certificated interpreter even though he is hearing. That's ok if my family doesn't want to be a part of the deaf world .. as long as they still love me and can communicate with me in any way they can. My mom thought about putting an CI on me when I was a baby but my doctor told her to wait a while until technology gets better and just go ahead with me using hearing aid. Then when I was 17 years old, I turned down the opportunity because I was scared due to the deaf people and the deaf culture so I said No. Now that I am an Adult and I got an CI.. I am proud of that and that I am still deaf when it is turned off. I am very lucky! Now, I am in both worlds and I am lucky to have friends who is supportive of me having an CI but at the same time accepting me for who I am. If they can't accept that I have an CI and does not like for who I am then just fook them! What pisses me off that some deaf people who are so DEAF POWER and tell those parents not to put CI on a deaf child(ren). It is not YOUR FRIGGING KID(S) .. IT IS THE PARENT'S KID(S) AND they try to do the best for the kids to have alot of opportunities in their lives. YOu can have your own opinion..FINE.. BUT DON'T SHOVE IT DOWN IN OUR THROATS! Heck, my ex husband and I even talked about if our kids was deaf, we would have put the CI on them because.. we want the best for them and have opportunities in life.. and I don't want them to go through the difficult experiences that I had growing up! Some deaf people need to worry about themselves not the parent's child(ren) and their choices in their life!

I got an CI because I wanted to hear my children's voices and to hear them say ILY Mom to me, I wanted to communicate better with my ex husband and my family. I wanted to do many things that I have never done before and use it when I am a registered nurse. Now I have an CI and I am loving every minute of it because I have more confidence in myself to do anything that I want to do in life. I heard so many things that I have never heard before.

The thing is that I grew up in a hearing family and I grew up oral with English signs. My dad used English before he knew about ASL. My mom, her boyfriend Ron, and my grandparents knows some english signs but still speak to me just fine.. if I couldn't understand they would have written it down on a paper and pen. I use oral and ASL now. So what? I grew up with hearing people and was in hearing world with a few deaf people I knew in my life. I didn't learn about ASL until I was in a deaf school and I was open up to the deaf world. Now I love both worlds that I have. My dad is involved in the deaf community and heck he is thinking about becoming an certificated interpreter even though he is hearing. That's ok if my family doesn't want to be a part of the deaf world .. as long as they still love me and can communicate with me in any way they can. My mom thought about putting an CI on me when I was a baby but my doctor told her to wait a while until technology gets better and just go ahead with me using hearing aid. Then when I was 17 years old, I turned down the opportunity because I was scared due to the deaf people and the deaf culture so I said No. Now that I am an Adult and I got an CI.. I am proud of that and that I am still deaf when it is turned off. I am very lucky! Now, I am in both worlds and I am lucky to have friends who is supportive of me having an CI but at the same time accepting me for who I am. If they can't accept that I have an CI and does not like for who I am then just fook them! What pisses me off that some deaf people who are so DEAF POWER and tell those parents not to put CI on a deaf child(ren). It is not YOUR FRIGGING KID(S) .. IT IS THE PARENT'S KID(S) AND they try to do the best for the kids to have alot of opportunities in their lives. YOu can have your own opinion..FINE.. BUT DON'T SHOVE IT DOWN IN OUR THROATS! Heck, my ex husband and I even talked about if our kids was deaf, we would have put the CI on them because.. we want the best for them and have opportunities in life.. and I don't want them to go through the difficult experiences that I had growing up! Some deaf people need to worry about themselves not the parent's child(ren) and their choices in their life!

AMEN TO THAT:applause:

Whoa...what a crazy thread! I think everyone strayed away from what it seems the main purpose was. I see so many people insulting other's decisions and it makes me sad. I know that the reason I come here is for support and to share experiences, not to insult others. I think that this issue is like beating a dead horse. I respect everyone here and I appreciate views of those adults that have gone through their live with a CI or without. All information is crucial to my understanding of the culture. I just really would like to see people supporting and uplifting others instead of bashing past decisions. With or without CI, a deaf child is going to have different experiences than a hearing child.....but keep in mind that all children face unique and individual challenges.

In the same way that you might "just open your mind and let some new ideas in that perhaps you have never considered because you are deaf."
????

If you're so "openminded" where does THIS come from:

A-I am not deaf. I am a hearing parent of a deaf child who chose to expose both my child and myself to the deaf community in order that I not see his situation from a hearing perspective only and consequently make biased decisions. Yes, I consider that to be very open minded.

B-You need to stop putting words in my mouth. That is not what I have said at all. Perhaps your interpretation of what I have said is skewed because you, rather than myself, are seeing things from only your perspective--that of a member of the hearing community.

Whoa...what a crazy thread! I think everyone strayed away from what it seems the main purpose was. I see so many people insulting other's decisions and it makes me sad. I know that the reason I come here is for support and to share experiences, not to insult others. I think that this issue is like beating a dead horse. I respect everyone here and I appreciate views of those adults that have gone through their live with a CI or without. All information is crucial to my understanding of the culture. I just really would like to see people supporting and uplifting others instead of bashing past decisions. With or without CI, a deaf child is going to have different experiences than a hearing child.....but keep in mind that all children face unique and individual challenges.

Unfortunately, Issacsmom, when one relates a negative experience or shares a concern about issues related to the deaf child, there are those who see it as personal criticism, and respond defensively. If you can wade through all of that nonsenses and just take away the messages and experience that people are willing to share, you will find much valuable information here.

FelixKat said it all....

I have said that in past..

again I will say... If My child were deaf, I will have them implant at early age, because I would rather them to go with the Language level skill NOT just by the hearing or deaf stats! but the level that their sounds, words, etc goes with ages..

THE MORE I have been learning thru my own CI, I honestly.. Honestly can't put my ci down at all Not even 1 min. I go thru migraines with ci on.. If extremely bad I just go lay down, and shut my eyes and LEAVE my ci on... I can't live without my ci, but honestly. I will turn my ci off at bedtime only Except when I stay at hospital then I will leave it on me but AT home, I take it off at bedtime, so I rely on my husband! but it's not his job to take care of me 24 hours a day! it's ME it's I that I want to have it, I WISH I had it earlier when I was younger, but the techology I was scared Just like felixkat.. then 6 years ago, I finally though and though longgg and decide to go for it...

If my internal CI breaks, I will go back and get it replaced! i can't live without it, I can image these small kids who goes thru with CI will love it than them using HA..

End of discussion from me, I will not reply if i see any harsh replies :)

:wave: have a good day!
Wendy

Back