Diabetes Survey for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community everywhere

Pam_SHCooking

Reaction score
:wave: Hello Deaf and Hard of Hearing Diabetics!

Please take Living with Diabetes Simply and Healthy Survey if you have not done it yet.

This will help me to gather stats of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals with diabetes.

:ty: Thank you, Pam (also at the Living with Diabetes Simply & Healthy)

I took the survey.

"What type of diabetes are you? *This question is required

Type 1 (happens in children and teenagers)
Type 2 (Adults over age 40 a.k.a. Adult Oneset Diabetes) "

Is very inaccurate. Many older adults are now being correctly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes or LADA, whereas in the past they were assumed to be type 2 due to age alone. Likewise, many younger people are now being correctly diagnosed as type 2. There are also other forms of diabetes, such as those induced by pancreatic failure.

Also, it would help to have a disclaimer at the beginning of your survey (what is the purpose of your survey? What benefit do individuals get from it? To whom is the information disclosed) and to offer the option to opt-out of attaching personally identifiable information to the survey.

I took the survey.

"What type of diabetes are you? *This question is required

Type 1 (happens in children and teenagers)
Type 2 (Adults over age 40 a.k.a. Adult Oneset Diabetes) "

Is very inaccurate. Many older adults are now being correctly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes or LADA, whereas in the past they were assumed to be type 2 due to age alone. Likewise, many younger people are now being correctly diagnosed as type 2. There are also other forms of diabetes, such as those induced by pancreatic failure.

Also, it would help to have a disclaimer at the beginning of your survey (what is the purpose of your survey? What benefit do individuals get from it? To whom is the information disclosed) and to offer the option to opt-out of attaching personally identifiable information to the survey.
Type 1 and type 2 are completely different. Type 1 is a disease while type 2 is not. I get argue with so many people about it because everyone believe who got insulin then they are type 1 and it is not. My mother was type 2 and she got insuiln. I am type 2 and I am not taking any medicine for it, only exercise and diet then they tell me I do not have it but my doctor tells me otherwise. I go see him every 6 months to have my ac1 blood lab and if my ac1 is over 7.0 then I need medicine. If my ac1 raise to over alike 9.0 or higher then need to get insulin. Right now my ac1 is average. My sister thought my mother had type 1 and my mother told her no, she had type 2 because she got insulin shot everyday only when she was ill with flu. Yes when we get cold or flu or little headache our blood sugar goes higher then need some help from dr. older people it is rare to have type 1 because it is disease.

Type 1 and type 2 are completely different. Type 1 is a disease while type 2 is not. I get argue with so many people about it because everyone believe who got insulin then they are type 1 and it is not. My mother was type 2 and she got insuiln. I am type 2 and I am not taking any medicine for it, only exercise and diet then they tell me I do not have it but my doctor tells me otherwise. I go see him every 6 months to have my ac1 blood lab and if my ac1 is over 7.0 then I need medicine. If my ac1 raise to over alike 9.0 or higher then need to get insulin. Right now my ac1 is average. My sister thought my mother had type 1 and my mother told her no, she had type 2 because she got insulin shot everyday only when she was ill with flu. Yes when we get cold or flu or little headache our blood sugar goes higher then need some help from dr. older people it is rare to have type 1 because it is disease.

I'm type 2 and I've been taking insulin since early last year.

According to Medline Plus, Type two is indeed a disease even if it's not the same as Type 1 diabetes. Most MDs would consider it a disease.

According to Medline Plus, Type two is indeed a disease even if it's not the same as Type 1 diabetes. Most MDs would consider it a disease.

I would be deeply confused if a doctor didn't think that type 2 was a disease.

And yay taking insulin! I'm a huge fan of type 2s using insulin, especially early after diagnosis. It can help get your glucose under control quick (preventing complications), and it might reduce the rate your beta cells burn out, which would be double the win. Some endos are catching onto this, but unfortunately 90/100 still make insulin out to be a Last Resort.

My stepson has type 1 diabetes. He was DXed with it when he was 6, he is now 16.

Back