Dell XPS-420 8GB RAM?

Well, I just care about stuff and parts in PC, I'm not worried about consumer service at Dell, I bought XPS from Dell and that's fully unlimited to open over regular, cheap PC, also my XPS could overclock the CPU, change the motherboard, change the hardware and everything. XPS under Dell has great brand of hardware, that reason about I brought it.

I don't want alone built PC because of not want deal with call companies on every different of hardware like if graphic card died then need call and have replace under warranty, what next if motherboard failure then call again to have replace, fuck it, I prefer to own built PC in combined from PC company, such as Dell. If you are technically savvy like know how to repair the PC then Dell shouldn't be big issue for XPS desktop, desktop is VERY easier to repair it, if not then pick other brand than Dell or get Mac.

For laptop, I prefer Mac.

Most companies (Dell, Gateway, IBM, HP, etc) choice parts from ASUS, ABIT, ATI, Seagate, etc.... Dell always ask any manufacturers, "no print label as Identified by Intel or ASUS or any brand on motherboard."

Since 1977, I built my own computer.
My first computer kit was Poly 88. Few months later, I added 8" floppy disk drive.
1981, I got Apple II Kit (clone - black market).
After 1985, I switched to IBM clone.

Most important to keep your recipt. If graphic card is dead or bad hard drive. Call Manufacturers for under warranty. They will ask you proof of date purchased.

Two times, my power supply was failure. One time, my motherboard was dead. Still free exchange under warranty.

I always favor operation of XP Professional in my laptop. I dislike Vista.

I do favor XP for laptop / work PC... However, Vista does much better job for video compared to XP.. It does take some used to.. Just like getting used to Windows 95 from Windows 3.1 or Windows NT.

Well, I just care about stuff and parts in PC, I'm not worried about consumer service at Dell, I bought XPS from Dell and that's fully unlimited to open over regular, cheap PC, also my XPS could overclock the CPU, change the motherboard, change the hardware and everything. XPS under Dell has great brand of hardware, that reason about I brought it.

I don't want alone built PC because of not want deal with call companies on every different of hardware like if graphic card died then need call and have replace under warranty, what next if motherboard failure then call again to have replace, fuck it, I prefer to own built PC in combined from PC company, such as Dell. If you are technically savvy like know how to repair the PC then Dell shouldn't be big issue for XPS desktop, desktop is VERY easier to repair it, if not then pick other brand than Dell or get Mac.

For laptop, I prefer Mac.

Geee!! You breaks the computers too!! Hee Hee Hee j/k.

I love build my own system. I never had an issue with graphic card or any hardwares that I puts together.. As far as my concerns, like graphic cards with ATI or Nvidia chipset installed from many different manufacters works fine on all boards and it makes no difference to me. The only issue is the Motherbord itself. I hate cheap motherboards. I buys high quality mobo and never had issue with it.

While my friend (he's pc builder newbie) buys cheap motherboard (Elitegroup) and he could not install fresh XP on the system. He gave up and handed over to me cuz he knew I'm expert with hardware issue. I observed XP installation setting up drivers then on the end "Starting Windows" then BSOD popped. I read the cryptic message and spotted "graphic" something. I assumed that it's the graphic card issue. So I swapped to my ATI 9000 pro card and re-ran the installation. It works fine without hitch. I had an issue to look for "hard to find" driver for that cheapie board and found it and installed it. I told my friend that he installed old 32mb ATI Rage Pro w/ Tv tuner card that was causing problem with cheap AMD Althon board. Cheap board use SiS chipset while my high quality mobo use VIA chipsets. He had many complaints from his customers with problems with cheap home built mobo. While I built board on my own way and never heard customer's complaint.

So that's something you should think about. ASUS, BIOSTAR, Gigabyte ect are high quality boards. I am leery about ABIT that I used to have even though it's high quality but it's life was short!.. All I do is to google search "motherboard review" to find out which is best or best average board to buy.

Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP buy "no name" motherboards. You don't get to find out it's orgins and won't be able to reflash BIOS to manufacter's original BIOS to have more features. That's why you can't find exact info about Memory maximum size, BIOS update for bug fixes ect.. That's why Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq are mum about board's origins. They don't want customers save their money upgrading CPU or adding periphals what board can do or even particular BIOS setup that allow you to overclocks even more. That's why you boot to BIOS on Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP and don't see any more options, just a restrictive setup that you can't do much.

My experience with Gateway system really sucks cuz I see USB pins, extra pins around the board and I contacted Gateway and they said "bring CPU over and we'll fix it" I told them NO NO!! CPU DOESN"T need to be fix. I just want to know what's the pins are for?? They won't admit to me. I googled search , dug deep and found linking to bloggers who discovered Gateway's dirty little secret. Gateway buy cheap board from China and had lot of cheap parts in it. That explains why board was buggy when trying to use floppy drive, hardware issue ect..

So that's why I rather buy high quality boards from manufacters and able to contact if I had problems. They have the best customer service than Dell, HP, Compaq and Gateway.. They are very straightfoward and giving me hints what I should do to fix the problem.

Catty

Gateway buy cheap board from China and had lot of cheap parts in it. That explains why board was buggy when trying to use floppy drive, hardware issue etc..

So that's why I rather buy high quality boards from manufacters and able to contact if I had problems. They have the best customer service than Dell, HP, Compaq and Gateway.. They are very straightfoward and giving me hints what I should do to fix the problem.

Pretty much everything in computer is made from China regardless of manufactorers.

Pretty much everything in computer is made from China regardless of manufactorers.

Right, there's some hardware that made in China are great, also it make technologies so cheaper.

Remember, all Mac and iPod are made in China as well.

Right, there's some hardware that made in China are great, also it make technologies so cheaper.

Remember, all Mac and iPod are made in China as well.

Right.. It all depends on how well it is designed.. Don't forget iPhone 3G had initial issue with radio chip... Its not china fault, but Apple's fault for picking that chipset.. I can think of another example, XBOX 360... MS knew it has heating issue, but wouldnt fix before shipping out, they said they will deal with it when it comes across the bridge.

It all come to quality assurance testing..

Right.. It all depends on how well it is designed.. Don't forget iPhone 3G had initial issue with radio chip... Its not china fault, but Apple's fault for picking that chipset.. I can think of another example, XBOX 360... MS knew it has heating issue, but wouldnt fix before shipping out, they said they will deal with it when it comes across the bridge.

It all come to quality assurance testing..

Xbox 360 use PPC, that alot of heat, much worse than system with Intel.

MS put small heatsink in Xbox 360 at first time, that cause more insufficient to sink the heat, they replaced into larger heatsink and reduce the nm to make sufficient, only 10% of Xbox 360 are hardware failure. Mac with PPC has very larger and powerful heatsink with cooling fan to cool the CPU.

I know my Dell Inspirion 530 maxes out at 8 GB (I have 6 GB installed).

If you get reports that it gets 8 GB, it's probably able to support 8 GB. However, the best way to know is knowing what kind of chipset it uses and check how many slots your mofo has. If you see 4, it usually means 8 GB, if you see 2, it usualyl means 4 GB depending on what kind of RAM is used.

It's a pain in the ass when technicans don't even know the maximum limit.

Also, if your computer came with 64-bit installed, its more likely it can support 8 GB limit otherwise there's NO point of using 64bit OS if it cannot access more than 4 GB.

Yes, Not everything from China, one of my Mobo was made in Tawain.

It had to do with North/South bridge chipsets they install on mobo. All of my mobo I use always a VIA (VIA is good but not the best). I would rather to have Nvidia chipset. My lappy use ATI chipsets which is So/So. If pc or laptop runs really well and stable, then that's important.

Other electronics of course mostly from China. Yes they make things cheeep. But they are polluting their own land. Betcha you already knew about it.

Catty

After reading this thread, I was just wondering how much RAM can XP Professional support?

My mobo is capable of having up to 8gig RAM, but I currently have 1gig RAM. Am thinking about upgrading it to either 2 or 3 gig.

I just got the memory from newegg last night and installed on my computer.. Works flawlessly and shows full 8GB ram in my Vista 64bit

I just got the memory from newegg last night and installed on my computer.. Works flawlessly and shows full 8GB ram in my Vista 64bit

Whew! that's good!! Now I'm sure you have screen full of Vmwares running Windows, Linux, Apple, Sun, and many OSes on Dell XPS. Maybe invest more monitors just like Dept of Defense system:giggle:. I used to have two monitors connected to one PC (My ATI Radeon 9000 Pro have dual heads).

Catty

Whew! that's good!! Now I'm sure you have screen full of Vmwares running Windows, Linux, Apple, Sun, and many OSes on Dell XPS. Maybe invest more monitors just like Dept of Defense system:giggle:. I used to have two monitors connected to one PC (My ATI Radeon 9000 Pro have dual heads).

Catty

I already have two 24" Dell wide monitors. I cannot stand working on single monitor..

Personally, for myself, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) works sobresaliente. I also have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and that works también sobresaliente.

*Note: if you no comprendo Español, then look it up yourself.

Back