Deleted Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHalfWayMan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Earlier today, I started a thread titled "The Half Way Campaign" which you can see it at the top of this Google search.

I've been trying to find the thread, which should be here, and have concluded that it has been deleted.

Can anyone help me to understand why?

Boult's guess is a good one. The thread was moved for the owner's review at request of a few members under rule #2.

I didn't move it, but I agree we should look carefully at any organization soliciting deaf membership and funds by a brand new poster who hasn't much experience with our members or the deaf community.

there should at least be a note to say why the post is gone or removed
see the rule and read the first part of the post about reserving the right...

Therefore TheHalfWayMan should contact directly via email instead of this thread.

Thanks for the part about "reserving the right".

And agreed that he should have asked via e-mail.

I am always wary of posters with less than 5 posts who try to recommend something, especially when money is involved.

I agree that would be nice, but there are several similar post every day, seven days a week. Since PMs to new posters aren't possible because so many members have been annoyed by unsolicited PMs, mostly from new members, and very few newbies make e-mail available, to post the deletion of a post would fill up available space in no time.

The other side of this is also practical: new members are asked to read the few rules before posting, in which case further explanation seems questionable.

Yep Chase, I'm with you 100%

Thank you again for the clarity.

I appreciate you guys take the time to explain, even though newbies should go and read the guidelines.

I read them when I first joined a year ago. Then reviewed them again recently.

I did forgot about the 'reserve the right' part.

And totally understand about lots of wayward posts throughout the day. :)

Again, thanks! :)

DeafTJ, Again, all boards of any kinds and all websites or blogs etc the owner reserve the right to that such practice. Same can be said if in person like in a bar or store, they reserve the right to refuse service or remove you from the property.

Have a great week!

:) *smile* Yes I know.

I am moderator of two private forums myself.

I could almost kick myself for not assuming that most great forums are run the same way.

Again, great job guys. :)

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I think that the person that deleted my post completely misunderstood what it was about. I am not trying to sell anything to anybody; rather, I am trying to something good for the Deaf community using the means which are available to me.

The reason I joined the AllDeaf community was to make Deaf friends and learn more about Deaf culture straight from the Deaf community itself and my post was a simple introduction on who I am and what I'm doing here (i.e. to learn) and I also mentioned that I was registered on a "Deaf Awareness and Sign Language" which is yet to begin and that I'd purchased several pieces of journal material to help me learn more.

So how did my self-introduction break any rules? Especially ones about spam?

I'm determined to not let this bad start get in the way of my vision and i'm guessing its no more than a simple misunderstanding.

If you'll all allow me - especially a moderator - I'd like to re-introduce myself and tell you more about the campaign. Its purpose is to do good for the Deaf Community, so you can imagine the deletion of my post is a bit hurtful to me.

The proposal that you suggest in your original thread sound like a scam. I don't know who you are so you can see why we all are wary of this. Spam are not allowed on the website along with advertising as the rules said so.

The proposal that you suggest in your original thread sound like a scam.
Wow! How did it sound like a scam? All I did was (1) introduce myself (2) introduce the campaign and (3) say 'hi!'

All I want from this board is to make Deaf friends, learn about Deaf life and get feedback on my ideas.

Wow! How did it sound like a scam? All I did was (1) introduce myself (2) introduce the campaign and (3) say 'hi!'

All I want from this board is to make Deaf friends, learn about Deaf life and get feedback on my ideas.

Well for one, you are a new newbie and most of the newbies tend to post in here and almost always its a scam. it called for donation to Deaf Charities. how do i know where it is going to? So you see why we are wary of this. There are so many scams out there and I am not gonna fall for it. :)

Aaaaah! Right! Now I understand where the misunderstanding is!

In introducing the campaign, I stated that its 3 objectives were:

1. To make hearing organisations realise how badly they are neglecting the Deaf community.
2. Show them how easy it can be.
3. Raise ongoing funds for deaf charities.

It seems that objective #3 is what threw the scam alert.

So, just to make things clear, when I say "raise ongoing funds for deaf charities", I am not talking about raising it from you or through you and my being here has nothing to do with money.

I am here to learn and nothing more.

Ha ha ha they don't like good old competition. Bottom line is MOOLA.

Where are you from, I wonder?

If i remember right you said you are from UK but you moved to Nigeria due to business there?

Where are you from, I wonder?

If i remember right you said you are from UK but you moved to Nigeria due to business there?
Lol! I'm from Holland Park in London and I now live in the United Arab Emirates (several thousand miles away from Nigeria) where I'm setting up a branch of my UK company. Many people who don't know of the UAE do know of Dubai... Dubai is in the UAE (see here) .

I never imagined that I would come across as a scammer or a spammer, but I can perfectly understand the misunderstanding about the "fund raising" element when taken out of context and somehow associating me with Nigeria couldn't have helped.

I'm here, as a hearing person, because I'm engaging in a campaign to benefit Deaf people and I want to make Deaf friends who I can learn from. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Something Fish Here.. :roll: .... Probably Half Man and Fish?? :dunno2:

Something Fish Here.. :roll: .... Probably Half Man and Fish?? :dunno2:
Aaaaaaargh! I'm not a scammer, a spammer or a fish... not even half a fish.

I chose the screenname "HalfWayMan" because the name of the campaign is "Meeting Half Way", i.e. Deaf people make a lot of effort to communicate with hearing people, why can't hearing people meet half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back