Definition of normal....your opinions?

Strong

Reaction score
Okay so at my school, we have a page on FB for anyone to post anything they want to say. So for instance, if you see another person who's good looking and want to know if she's single, you can go to that page and say, "Hey to that girl....aer you single?" Basiclaly, you can post about ANYTHING and you're anonymous so nobody will know who you are.

So long story short, there's one girl in my tutorial who gives me dirty looks after she finds out about my hearing loss. She would even turn her head discreetly to stare at me and look away quickly when I catch her. One time I was talking to my instructor about the FM system, her eyes were on me, even when I was walking to the chair and I stared back at her - like WTF is your problem??! She did this every time and she does this in a rude manner. It's not like others who stare at people with disabilities....once they know what our situation is, they cease to stop staring. But this girl doesn't.

So on that page on FB, I described what happened. But this is not my point. THIS is what happened: a guy commented on the post, "I'm normal and people stare. No biggie."

Then a girl commented on that response and said, "are you suggesting that because the OP is not normal because they have a disability? idk why you said you're normal...."

The guy said, "Look buddy, if you want to argue about semantics. Go right ahead. Here's my argument:

'Around 10 per cent of the world’s population, or 650 million people, live with a disability.'

Normal: 'Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.'

So I used normal because 90% of people do not have a disability, therefore those without a disability are 'normal'".

Raped."

I was absolutely disgusted by his use of the term "raped" to basically fire back at the girl about using the term, "normal." This guy got 13 likes and the girl got 0 likes. Furthermore another guy said that I'm the one who's insensitive because the girl who was staring at me has a "condition"? Like WTH?

What's your opinion?

I am surprise that your school even has facebook page with all the bullying happening on the internet. And that kids can post things anonymously is even more surprising .

I am surprise that your school even has facebook page with all the bullying happening on the internet. And that kids can post things anonymously is even more surprising .

Kind of. I wouldn't say it's bullying, but a lot of students don't seem to have class and respect for one another.

Trust me, a lot of comments are very sarcastic.

The anonymously is the problem. People say what they want when they hide behind a wall. If they would post people's names, you can bet that half of the stuff wouldn't be posted. I've seen that on another forum where members can leave comments anonymously and it got so out of hand that the owners removed that option.

This thread is not about anonymity. It's about the guy's comment about "I'm normal."

Normal is abnormal.

I like this. Normal is so subjective - the guy who commented on my post seems to be suggesting that because there is a high proportion of people without disability, it's considered to be conforming if we don't have a disability.

Well, what one finds normal another person can find weird. So I don't think there is a definite defenition for normal. And its said that eveyr person has some kind of disability, whether ti goes noticed or unnoticed its different.

Normal is subjective and based on individual cultures...what's normal in NYC is not the same normal as some middle-of-nowhere town in the midwest...

This thread is not about anonymity. It's about the guy's comment about "I'm normal."

Anyone that think they're normal has to be nuts. I will use the word 'normal ' when talking about dog's poop to the vet . I had to write if my client had normal looking poops or lose stools. I would not let people like that guy on facebook get to you. That is only giving him power over you. He not worth your time.

Normal is abnormal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q]Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein - "Whose Brain I did put in?" - YouTube[/ame]

I will try to find one with CC , this does not have this. I had no luck ,

1188.jpg

In a nutshell we all think everyone are normal until we really get to know them. So, what's normal? Nothing. It could be just appropriate to one and inappropriate to another.

In this case it isn't normal versus weird, and btw everybody is kind if weird. "Normal" people are the ones that turn out to have bodies buried in the basement.

I think you're being over sensitive. He's not saying hearing loss is odd or weird, it's just the normal state of the human body. Humans normally can hear, some, very few compared to number than can hear.....cannot hear.

It's not a judgement.

Edited to add: someone with no hearing loss, and isn't close to anyone with any, is not going to refer to themselves as "hearing". That is not a word that is used by people that can hear, that's a phrase people with hearing loss use. It's just not something they'd come up with to describe themselves, they wouldn't use "I'm seeing" or "I'm walking" in reference to having those abilities on the case of blindness or wheelchair bound (for whatever reason) they're just going to use normal, as in the body is fully functioning from head to toe. You shouldn't read do much into it.

never say wheelchair-bound, that is offensive to them say 'uses a wheelchair or a wheelchair user'.

never say wheelchair-bound, that is offensive to them say 'uses a wheelchair or a wheelchair user'.

See Grummer that is exactly the point. You never know what someone is going to find offensive. Because everyone is so super sensitive about everything. Looking for offense where none is intended.

People need to get the f' over themselves.

Back