Prep: 10 mins Cook: 1 hr. Ready in: 1 hr., 10 mins

Ingredients:

prefe Deer Meat
prefe onions
prefe mushrooms
prefe cayenne pepper

Cooking Instructions:

First, Load your gun a shoot a deer.

Once you get a good deer roast, stuff it with garlic and sprinkle the entire roast with Cayenne pepper and let it marinate over night.

Cut up onions and mushrooms and place it in a crock-pot with the roast. Let it cook 7 hours on high then make a roux with the drippings, onions, and mushrooms.

Cook for one more hour and serve over a bed of rice. Can't go wrong.

Mmmmm! Sounds wonderful. One warning - a good deer roast can be ruined by its own fat. Any time you cook venison you must remove all the fat. Since a huge part of their diet is acorns the fat will give the meat a terrible taste and many people mistakenly think they don't like venison because they had some that was cooked with the fat. We eat a lot of deer meat and I'm always looking for a new recipe. I haven't tried it in a crock pot but I will.

Mmmmm! Sounds wonderful. One warning - a good deer roast can be ruined by its own fat. Any time you cook venison you must remove all the fat. Since a huge part of their diet is acorns the fat will give the meat a terrible taste and many people mistakenly think they don't like venison because they had some that was cooked with the fat. We eat a lot of deer meat and I'm always looking for a new recipe. I haven't tried it in a crock pot but I will.

True,, I also use dear meat to make hamburger or meat ball or jerky they pretty good. I always remove fat off any meat.

I don't know cooking - what does "prefe" mean?

It means prefer means choice... You don't have to use deer meat. When someone say do you prefe other meat? means you have other choice to use different meat for cooking.

I like to take a good deer roast and trim the fat off (Not that there is much but I do it) and then stuff garlic in it and salt and pepper the outside of it. Then I like to marinade it for a few hours in a little Jack Daniels. Then I throw it in a roasting pan with sime fresh vegies and a little more Jack. YUMMMMMMMMMY.

I like to take a good deer roast and trim the fat off (Not that there is much but I do it) and then stuff garlic in it and salt and pepper the outside of it. Then I like to marinade it for a few hours in a little Jack Daniels. Then I throw it in a roasting pan with sime fresh vegies and a little more Jack. YUMMMMMMMMMY.

I always remove the fat and skin you know, it less calories and fat when you cook meat. I do love to use any favor marinade hee.

I hadn't known that about deer. I'm sure my sister knows as my brother in law likes to hunt.

I think the biggest or most important thing you (or the hunter) can do to make good venison is to cut the scent glands of the deer as soon as you down it. If you don't, the powerful musk of the scent glands permeates the meat.

I think the biggest or most important thing you (or the hunter) can do to make good venison is to cut the scent glands of the deer as soon as you down it. If you don't, the powerful musk of the scent glands permeates the meat.

That is very true, it does have a powerful musk smell so often times friends do cut the glads so it won't permeates the meat to smell too strong. I don't like to hunt but I get the meat from friends give to me. :)

Yes, you mean what they call the "tarsal gland". As long as it never touches the meat there is no problem. I won't go into detail but it is quite a nasty patch of hair on the back legs of a buck. I've had them walk past me in the dark and the smell is noticeable.

Deer roast sounds really yummy! I've had deer strangnoff (sp) sort of thing. It's pretty good! I want to "order" some deer meat from my ex gf's dad so I can make deer burgers or something like that. :)

Deer roast sounds really yummy! I've had deer strangnoff (sp) sort of thing. It's pretty good! I want to "order" some deer meat from my ex gf's dad so I can make deer burgers or something like that. :)

Funny, my mother did use deer meat to make hamburgers and they taste good. They make beef jerky too.

Back