Death

"The amnion grows and begins to fill, mainly with water, around two weeks after fertilisation. After a further 10 weeks the liquid contains proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and phospholipids, urea and electrolytes, all which aid in the growth of the fetus. Most of the amniotic fluid comes from the baby's urine. By the second trimester the fetus can breathe in the water, allowing normal growth and the development of lungs and the gastrointestinal tract."

Quoted from wikipedia. Amniotic sac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it depends on your definition of "breathe". Injesting the fluid does help the embryo grow (I said that). However, the embryo is not turning the fluid into oxygen, which is what a fish does when it "breathes" water. A baby's first experience with self-collected oxygen comes when it draws its first breath of air (usually from crying). That's why your pediatrician sometimes spanks your new born baby -- to wake it up and encourage it to draw a full breath. That's also why premies are often on oxygen machines -- their little lungs didn't get enough time to develop into efficient oxygen / CO2 exchangers.

I still want to die with either a smile on my face or laughing. Either way, I know I died having fun. I still perfer dieing in the act with my wife, which might happen in 11 days when my wife gets here. :whistle:

We are dead already and we do not know it. When we wake up, we will be in different world. This life we are living, we are dreaming.

I guess it depends on your definition of "breathe". Injesting the fluid does help the embryo grow (I said that). However, the embryo is not turning the fluid into oxygen, which is what a fish does when it "breathes" water. A baby's first experience with self-collected oxygen comes when it draws its first breath of air (usually from crying). That's why your pediatrician sometimes spanks your new born baby -- to wake it up and encourage it to draw a full breath. That's also why premies are often on oxygen machines -- their little lungs didn't get enough time to develop into efficient oxygen / CO2 exchangers.

The lexical definition of breathe is to inhale and expell. When people say a baby breathes the fluid, they're using it to describe the process. They aren't claiming that the baby draws oxygen like a fish. It isn't inaccurate to use the word breathe to describe the process just because the baby does not gain anything from it.

As for the rest of the stuff- I thought babies could draw in nutrients from the fluid in their lungs (I guess I'm wrong.) thusly I bolded what nutrients the fluid contained and wikipedia's use of the word 'breathe' to describe the process. Your point that babies don't 'breathe' oxygen in the sac has already been estabalished as a fact, no need to enforce it because I'm not disagreeing with you about that. Just the fact that you're trying to knock the word breathe when it's the proper definition. For breathe to be justified you don't always have to have something valuable drawn from the process.

Back