Dealing with parents...

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not but I recently moved out on my own, and I am now about a three hour drive from my parents. Thankfully this means that I am incharge of my own Dr. appointments, and my own audi appointments. So I now go to all of my appointments alone too. I considered not keeping my parents up-to-date on everything but I don't think that would end well.

My parents have considered family therapy and I went with them once...the counsellor looked me straight in the eye and told me since I was a minor my parents are the ones who should be making these choices. She then said I should be tested for opositional defiance disorder. I don't have ODD. I simply don't want to have surgery in order to 'fix' something that isn't broken. Anyway that experience turned me off family counselling.

And I don't blame you. That counselor was way out off line. She should be reported to her licensning board for an ethical violation. Or was she even licensed? Please don't judge us all by the ineptness of one.:cool: BTW: there is no "test" for ODD. It is a diagnosis made through observation and case history. I'm not too impressed with this particuar counselor, either. I'm glad you were insightful enough to see through her.

You re not alone! ;) so My mom wasn't happy>>>deaf! :/

Hello ... Alldeaf :):)

I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not but I recently moved out on my own, and I am now about a three hour drive from my parents. Thankfully this means that I am incharge of my own Dr. appointments, and my own audi appointments. So I now go to all of my appointments alone too. I considered not keeping my parents up-to-date on everything but I don't think that would end well.

My parents have considered family therapy and I went with them once...the counsellor looked me straight in the eye and told me since I was a minor my parents are the ones who should be making these choices. She then said I should be tested for opositional defiance disorder. I don't have ODD. I simply don't want to have surgery in order to 'fix' something that isn't broken. Anyway that experience turned me off family counselling.

That's what I was told too, about not having any rights. But good for you for moving out and getting away from that bad environment.

I don't think so you have ODD. Your counselor is wrong. I am glad that you trusted your guts feeling and don't bother seeing your counselor. Yes, report her to the license board. My hug goes for you.

You are no longer a minor, you can make your decisions without your parents' interferences.

U are not the only one who has parents who cant accept their child's deafness. My mom didnt accept mine for a long time so I raised as a "hearing" person without exposure to sign language nor the Deaf community. When I started taking ASL classes at ASU and told my mom I wanted to go to Gallaudet University, she kept asking me why that school. Why do I need sign language if I was able to communicate just fine with hearing peers. She didnt get it..I needed to be around people like me or be in an environment where communication is fully accessible for me. Finally, she understood and has accepted my deafness. The irony is that she has a deaf son who grew up with ASL and in the Deaf community.

Wow, your dad must want so badly to "fix" you. He will just have to either accept u who u are or continue to torture himself about it and waste a lot of time on it.

Anyways, welcome to AD!

Well said.

I had my meeting with disability services at school today. I have a signed letter from them for my prof and TA. I have seating accomodations (front of class), FM use, and a formal request for proper lighting and for the prof/TA to look forward and towards me while speaking. We shall see how that goes and then if it is still hard I qualify for a professional note taker.

I also go my new HA's today. OMG the world is LOUD! There are soooo many new sounds. Very overwhelming. I lasted about 30 mins with them on at work today, and three hours at home. We shall see what it is like tomorrow when I test them out at school. Funny story though, I was sitting beside my cat and he started making a sound I have never heard before. I poked at him a bit and he didn't seem phased. I picked him up and held him closer to my ear and I was sure he was choking or something. I pryed open his mouth and looked inside...then I realized that he was purring! LMAO

Anyway I will keep updating everyone!

-Jenny

Glad you are enjoying your new world of sound. While it can be noisy, there are few things that is nice to hear.

I look forward to your updates on your progess.

Back