Deafness/HOH in healthcare settings

carcky_milarcky

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Paige :wave:. I am a Medical Billing and Coding student and have been recently learning how cultural, physical, mental, and emotional barriers affect communication in the healthcare setting. As patients in healthcare, I would like to know direct experiences from you guys. If one or more of you would please give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Not only will it further my learning about others but it will help me communicate better once I graduate and enter the healthcare field.

I'm not happy that I need to pay too much to see my therapist. Not worried about barriers. Have more on plate rather than barrier.

Thank you derek for replying! I find it interesting that your concerns stretch beyond communication barriers. Perhaps that means that the modern-field has become better when it comes to communicating with others.

What's with this sudden trend of new members popping up to ask questions about barriers in medical/healthcare settings???

Well, our teacher asked that we go onto a website and ask about communication barriers in relation to the healthcare field. This could have been anything, including cultural. I chose this website because I know the least about deafness than I do about cultural differences. Are our questions offending you? If so I apologize, we mean no harm. We come in peace :cheers:

No, it's just that you're like the 5th or 6th new member to ask the same questions since yesterday. Just wondering what's going on.

Understood. :) I would probably wonder the same thing if I were in your shoes. May I ask if you personally have had any good/bad experiences in relation to being deaf within the healthcare setting? Either as a patient, caregiver, or even employee? I really just want to learn and grow as a person and make sure that I continue to treat everyone with respect. I feel as though I can do this by learning what to do (and what not to do!).

I will rather see a therapist who knows no ASL, but is free as opposed to one that uses ASL and charges a lot of money to see a client.

Who cares if others thinks this post is a hoax or not. I have enough crap in my life and want people to know how I feel.

It is unfair to pay to see a therapist.

Well, don't you think it would be unfair if everyone else got paid for their services EXCEPT therapists? There would be a rapid decline in the psychotherapy field if that were to occur since nobody can afford to be unpaid these days! Everyone has bills, everyone needs to eat. C'est la vie.

Back