Deaf World

K8E_7

Reaction score
Hey! I'm 17 and I got an implant when I was 8ish.. I've been mainstreamed at a public school all my life. But I go to a deaf church so I'm always with deaf people. I prefer to be around deaf people because that's where my comfort zone is. What about you guys? What's your opinion?

I just like my own family, which is very large.

And we are a mix of both deaf and hearing, so I guess I like both sides fine.

Hey! I'm 17 and I got an implant when I was 8ish.. I've been mainstreamed at a public school all my life. But I go to a deaf church so I'm always with deaf people. I prefer to be around deaf people because that's where my comfort zone is. What about you guys? What's your opinion?

Now I learn that you have CI which mean you are deaf. Can you sign ASL? If so, then you are comfortable being with d/Deaf people. ASL is very important in Deaf Culture. :cool2:

Now I learn that you have CI which mean you are deaf. Can you sign ASL? If so, then you are comfortable being with d/Deaf people. ASL is very important in Deaf Culture. :cool2:

Yes, I can sign ASL! :)

I am much much more comfortable in the Deaf world than in the hearing world because I don't have to work hard to communicate and get left out or treated like someone not important.

I'm actually in a place where I don't feel comfortable in either right now. I'm working hard to make asl my primary language. It's coming out more pse though... lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I don't feel comfortable in both hearing and Deaf sides.

1. Because it is hard for me to communicate in hearing world...
2. Because I don't know ASL yet to communicate in Deaf world

I'm certainly going to learn ASL in the future, and already know some signs and fingerspelling.

I don't feel comfortable in both hearing and Deaf sides.

1. Because it is hard for me to communicate in hearing world...
2. Because I don't know ASL yet to communicate in Deaf world

I'm certainly going to learn ASL in the future, and already know some signs and fingerspelling.

I started learning ASL at 25 years old and I am 42 years old. My life has changed for the better since making that decision. It has been an amazing journey with some rough spots on the way.

I'm comfortable wherever with whoever... because I don't allow people to make me uncomfortable. I am me... and people can deal with it. I have hearing, late deafened and Deaf friends alike. Respect me and I'll respect you. It takes all kinds of people to make up this world and I don't care what your story is as long as it's good now. :) ( Unless you're an unjustified murder or something god awful like that :shock: ) Sure, I prefer to be around ASL users... However honestly it really doesn't make up THAT big of a preference to me... *shrug* People are people... I have friends of all kinds. To each their own. Dating wise, I prefer to stick with D/deaf people... ( I tend to go for CODA's for some reason ) :dunno: However friend wise, it's all about mutual respect. :) Whatever, I don't care hearing or not as far as friends are concerned, I don't judge! :)

Back