Deaf woman files suit against New Braunfels

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
MySA.com: Metro | State

Maria Salinas says she kept begging police to provide a sign language interpreter for her after she found her boyfriend dead on the couch when she arrived home from work Sept. 23, 2004.

Police refused, and as a result, she spent hours unable to communicate with officers, unsure if her boyfriend, Ed Spencer, was dead, confused about why police were searching her apartment, and wondering if she was a murder suspect.

"It was so devastating," Salinas said Thursday through an interpreter. "I loved my boyfriend so much. I was completely left out of what was going on that day. I didn't even know that he was dead at the time. I have a right to equal access to communication, and that is all I was asking for."

Flanked by about three dozen other deaf people and supporters, Salinas and her attorney filed a federal lawsuit Thursday against the city of New Braunfels, alleging the city violated the Americans with Disabilities Act.

"Failing to provide basic accommodations to citizens who are deaf alienates them from their government, causes them to distrust those who are supposed to protect them and makes them feel like second-class citizens," said Lucy Wood, regional managing attorney for Advocacy Inc., a nonprofit law firm that helps the disabled.

"The lawsuit is necessary because New Braunfels officials have been unwilling to work with us to change their policies."

The lawsuit asks for unspecified monetary damages and changes in policy to ensure hearing-impaired victims get quick access to a sign language interpreter when needed.

New Braunfels officials declined to comment.

In nearby Seguin, police generally communicate with deaf people in writing, Lt. Jim Boeck said, but can call on a sign language interpreter from Texas Lutheran University if needed.

"Passing notes has worked in the past when we had that situation," he said. "I can't remember any instances recently when we have needed to call an interpreter."

But written communication often is not workable, Wood said.

"American Sign Language is totally different from English," she said. "A person who is fluent in sign language may not be fluent in English."

San Antonio police officers use a program called Educate, Assist, Support & Empower, which provides access to sign language interpreters in person or using video conferencing at the police headquarters and each substation.

Unbelievable

I wanted to scream when I saw this. It's been 16 years since ADA was passed. If hospitals and police departments won't comply and can get away with it, why should anyone else??

Back