Deaf teen making plays for Frazier

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf teen making plays for Frazier - Tribune-Review

Frazier sophomore offensive/defensive tackle Robert "Buck" Marietta admits to occasionally being embarrassed when his parents, Robert and Margaret Marietta, hold up a huge placard that reads "Go Buck" from their seats in the stands at the Perryopolis school.
Then again, Marietta, who wears number 66 for the Commodores, doesn't hear his family, nor anyone else cheering for him or shouting his name. He has been deaf since birth.

Prior to Marietta's freshman season -- his first in organized football -- Frazier head coach Lew Switzer "high-fived Buck in the hall and asked him if he wanted to play," Margaret Marietta said.

Despite never having donned shoulder pads or a helmet, his immediate response was "Oh, yeah!" Buck Marietta said, using American Sign Language to communicate his words

Kim Barkey, Buck's interpreter at Frazier, noted that American Sign Language is a natural way for the deaf to communicate because it is so visual.

Marietta, nicknamed Buck by his father in honor of the boy's great-grandfather, is one of four deaf students who attend the Frazier middle and senior high schools.

Barkey explained that they come from different school districts.

"All the resources are provided by the Intermediate Unit No. 1, located in Coal Center (Washington County), are here in one location. Intermediate Unit No. 1 serves Washington, Fayette and Greene counties," he explained.

Marietta lives in Ohiopyle, in the Uniontown Area School District, but Barkey said it is too expensive for a district to have individual teachers for just one deaf student.

"Thus, all are at Frazier," he said.

Barkey is employed by the IU and became involved with teaching the deaf through signing because she has two deaf children, ages 24 and 18.

"Kim is Buck's voice," Margaret Marietta said, adding that Barkey has been working with her son for four years.

At Frazier, marietta is mainstreamed into the same classes as hearing students.

"This is where the educational interpreter comes into play," Barkey said. "We go into the classroom and sign whatever the teacher or another student says. Buck speaks and hears through me."

Football is no different: The IU provides an interpreter full time, including practices and games.

Switzer said he wasn't surprised when Marietta accepted the challenge of playing football.

"We have all the deaf students in the county at Frazier," he said, "and all the teachers are able to communicate with them. I don't sign all that well, but the students know what we want. I'm glad Buck came out for the team."

Barkey added that "Coach Switzer is wonderful with our deaf kids in school."

On the field, Switzer sees Marietta, who stands 5 feet 10 inches and weighs 240 pounds, as having "tremendous determination. "He works hard and gives 100 percent," the coach said. "He concentrates and gives all he has. With his disability, he often appears to have a better awareness of what is going on around him.

"He picks up the ball wherever it is," Switzer added. "Defensively, plays are signaled in from the bench and he knows the plays and his responsibilities. He is a quick learner and knows what to do."

Marietta also credits Tyler King, his good friend on the team, with teaching him defense.

"On defense he simply goes on the movement of the ball and/or other players, but he has a little more trouble on offense because of having to move on the count," Switzer said. "Offensively, someone in the huddle relays the play and Buck's blocking assignment, but overall he seems to have a better awareness of what is happening on the field because of his inability to hear."

Being in organized football for only his second year, "Buck needs more time in the weight room and needs to be stronger, and naturally gain more experience on the field," Switzer said. "Buck may not be our fastest player, but we get every ounce of effort he has. We can't ask for more. There has been major improvement since last year."

Assistant middle school coach Dan Kordich, who coached Marietta as a freshman, added that "Buck has a great attitude."

"He works hard, comes every day, and improves every day," he said. "His ability and mobility have both improved, and his concept of the game is much better. Football is a new experience for him, and he is 100 percent better compared to the day he started last year. Buck also has a great sense of humor, which helps on the field."

To that, Marietta smiled and signed, "I'm happy to be deaf. I'm content. When people yell, I can't hear them."

But when asked if he knew when Coach Switzer yelled, Marietta's response, with an obvious laugh, was, "I can see that coach is yelling. I just can't hear what he is saying."

Through Barkey, Marietta said, "Deaf players play with more heart."

"Buck is very visual," his mother said. "On the field, he focuses on the action and the plays, watching what the varsity players do before he goes on the field with the junior varsity."

If Marietta doesn't understand something, Barkey is right there signing an explanation. She noted that "often hearing kids get distracted by noise around them, on the field and in the stands."

Barkey added that Marietta worships her deaf son, David, who played football at Ringgold.

"Buck looked up to David," she said. "Buck saw him play and realized being deaf did not mean a person cannot do something. And Buck has had great family support. You can see that by watching his family, including his sister, Laura, 23, who hears perfectly, at his games."

Barkey pointed out that Gallaudet College in Washington, D.C. -- the renowned school founded for the deaf -- "was the first team to use a huddle. Other teams were stealing their plays and signals, so they created the huddle to sign the plays from the bench and to each other."

Marietta signed that he "prefers defense to offense."

"I like playing nose tackle on defense and tackling the other players," he said through his interpreter. "I like every part of football. We have hard practices, but I like being a part of the team. I like to play."

Marietta has been deaf since birth, his mother said, with a lack of oxygen going to his brain the most likely reason. His family has gone through testing, but nothing can be done to reverse the situation.

"Without hearing, there is no speech," Barkey explained. "Buck cannot hear the words or letters, thus he cannot speak."

Even so, Marietta makes the honor roll, his mother said.

Despite never having been able to hear, Marietta does not consider himself disabled.

"I was never able to hear, so it's not an issue," he signed to Barkey.

"We are so proud of him. Not being able to hear has not been an issue for Buck," Margret Marietta said.

Being deaf does not hinder his socialization with others his age.

Nor does it stop Marietta from working as a river guide at Whitewater Adventures in Ohiopyle, owned by Buck's grandmother, Shirley Marietta.

"Buck is always with another guide and uses all hand signals for the rafters on the river," his mother said, "and many rafters are unaware that he is deaf."

In addition to rafting and working the river, Marietta spends considerable time with Woof, his Alaskan malamute.

Since he began playing football, Marietta's dream is to play football for West Virginia University, whose colors and athletic shirts he proudly displays at home, then the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I want to buy my mom a new house," he signed.

The Steelers are Marietta's favorite pro football team, and nose tackle Casey Hampton is his favorite player.

"I am proud of his dedication to football and everything else," Barkey said. "He does not let his deafness stop him from doing things."

Switzer concurred, looking at the entire picture.

"The Frazier football program and Buck will be better off because he is playing football for the Commodores," he said.

Back