Deaf student wins battle against university

jgwhite

Reaction score
Deaf student wins battle against university - WNEM TV 5

CARROLLTON, MI (WNEM) -
A local student has been hitting the books and studying for years to get her teaching degree.

But in the last couple of weeks, she's learned she may not graduate on time because some officials at Central Michigan University believe she can't teach effectively - because she's deaf.

Now, TV5 is learning their policy will change.

Central Michigan University senior Kelly Laatsch loves to teach and wants to make a career teaching students with hearing disabilities.

When Laatsch found out her disability would prevent her from graduating, she was devastated.

"I feel like it's not necessary," Laatsch told TV5. "I feel it's not fair and always ask myself ‘why?'"

Laatsch can speak and hear using cochlear implants, but she needs an interpreter to teach the class.

"If I were to speak, talk with a hearing person in a quiet area, I could probably understand most - but it's different with children," said Laatsch.

But Laatsch says the university would not let her pass her student teaching class, required for graduation, if she could not teach without an interpreter. Her story garnered a lot of attention and an outpouring of community support followed. And late Tuesday afternoon, everything changed.

"CMU is allowing me to have an interpreter for the rest of student teaching, full-time," explained Laatsch.

Now, Laatsch says all she has to do is make the grade so she can sport the cap and gown in May. "I'm thrilled. I'm still absorbing it. It's a relief," she said.

"The university would not go into detail about Laatsch's situation, citing privacy laws, but they did release this statement:

"Central Michigan University remains focused on the success of its students and continues to work with Ms. Laatsch toward her goal of becoming a teacher. CMU has been in communication with Ms. Laatsch related to this matter in hopes of reaching a mutually satisfactory outcome."

Meanwhile, Laatsch is thankful for all the support. "I'm sure things would be different if I didn't have everybody out there."

GOOD! thats a fucking classic example of institutional audism and it needs to be addressed!!

Back