Deaf speed skater eyes fast track to Olympics

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf speed skater eyes fast track to Olympics | The Salt Lake Tribune

Michael Hubbs was born with a need for speed.

As an avid inline skater at age 15, he outraced a friend riding a BMX bicycle.

In high school, Hubbs won a Texas state championship in swimming.

In his early 20s, Hubbs says he would ride his motorcycle at speeds as high as 185 miles per hour.

For the past eight months, Hubbs has been a blur on ice, chasing his childhood dream of becoming an Olympic short-track speed skater.

“On the ice, it feels really smooth,” said Hubbs, who moved from Texas last October. “It’s a lot faster than inline. You get low and you can glide. … It feels great.”

Hubbs is attempting to become the 15th deaf athlete to compete in the Olympics.

Born with severe hearing loss, Hubbs had never laced up speed skates before moving to Utah to train at the Olympic Oval. But years spent on inline skates growing up and a summer of inline competition last year gave him the confidence to switch surfaces.

“It looks similar, but it’s very different,” Hubbs said, comparing the two sports. “I’m happy with the progress I’ve made so far. My expectations were a lot higher, but that’s because I thought the sports were more similar.”

Hubbs has moved rapidly through the ranks since November, and trains with the Fast Team — one level below the National Team.

“Most of these kids start at the age of 12 or younger,” coach Anthony Barthell told The Associated Press last month. “He still has some work to do, just finding himself, finding balance. But in the little time he’s been around, he’s doing fairly well.”

Hubbs, 28, said he uses his hearing impairment to his advantage. Sure, he can’t hear his coach yelling instructions and updating him on his position during a race, but Hubbs said his other senses are heightened.

“I depend a lot on my eyes,” said Hubbs, who can hear the starter’s pistol and the bell signalling the race’s final lap. “It takes practice, but you can feel who’s behind you in your mind.”

Said teammate Jordan Jackson: “Not having that affect me, I would imagine it would slow me down. But I know Michael is adamant that the hearing impairment is actually beneficial to him, in that it hones his other senses.”

Hubbs, who had a strained relationship with his father and turned to drugs and alcohol during a rebellious period as a teenager, is dogged in his determination to make his Olympic dream a reality.

He trains up to eight hours a day, six days a week to fine-tune his mechanics and form. He said having few friends locally makes it easier to stay dedicated. Instead of hanging out or going to dinner with friends, Hubbs hits the local 24-Hour Fitness.

He won't make it. He lost his support with Purple VRS and he recently in jail for harassed his ex-wife or whatever who is.

Anyway, I met him before and he is not what I expect.

I hope he makes it and we have donated to his campaign. As much as many of you feel that he is a poor example, I must differ on the basis of MY son. The money and awareness that he will bring into the community is 100% worth it and he will reap the benefits. We are talking about international recognition for "DEAF CAN DO ANYTHING BUT HEAR".

Keep on sliding, Michael!

From what I hear... He use all donated money to bailout himself.

From what I hear... He use all donated money to bailout himself.

There have been a LOT of rumors. I've heard many many many different things too... including what you said. I am not in the business of spreading rumors so I will just leave it be. The Deaf community has crucified him. Justifiable? Sure but a lot of BS is being spread too.

He has been charged with violation of restraining order and telephone harassment. He was arrested in Salt Lake City where he was in training camp a few days ago.

Also Deaftax.com withrew their sponsorship from him yesterday.

Barish brothers of DeafNation once considered sponsoring him until they met him in person. Know what? They decided not to sponsor him at all.

That's some fucked up shit. I'm saddened to hear more details like that. I'd already seen the deaftax video.

That being said... deafndumb is the site? How offensive.
Ugh. Yeah. Pretty much everything about that is depressing.

Back