Deaf people and Christianity

:wave:oh, I was just thinking about how there were so many different ones, and how the details of them might be different, thinking how amazing it is that we still have issues religiously on women being ministers!

I have noticed the number of "Affirming" congregations growing which is is GREAT! There seems to be more of an effort to make that be an obvious part of the congregation life than in my background, which is Judaism. Yes, Reform and Reconstructionist <the most "liberal" strands of Judaism> tend to be open in relation to the GBLTQ community but my experience has been there's nothing that proclaims to someone who is not straight - YES, you ARE welcome here, no BS!

Non-denominational - what's that?

Unitarian Universalist churches are pretty open. They use the word "welcoming," but I think they mean "affirming" (as defined in this thread) as they have many GLBT ministers and other church affiliated employees, as well as members. Some even perform "ceremonies of union" for gay and lesbian couples in states where there is no marriage equality.

But they are not your typical church in terms of beliefs, and each congregation is different, so you have to do some research on the congregations in your particular area, if any.

Unitarian Universalists comprise 1/10 of 1% of the American population, so congregations are not widespread.

YES, PatsCats, I'm involved with a local UU church in addition to my own synagogue. The one I'm involved with is an official "Welcoming" congregation where the lives of and issues in GLBTQ community are part of the church; the minister has sung/spoke at our Pridefest and will perform union ceremonies. We have a GLBTQ group-Interweave and the she <minister> speaks on Sundays sometimes on GLBTQ-related things; also have an awesome singer/songwriter out congregant who performs sometimes locally; she sings folk/protest music.
I enjoy the UU activities very much.

:wave:oh, I was just thinking about how there were so many different ones, and how the details of them might be different, thinking how amazing it is that we still have issues religiously on women being ministers!

I have noticed the number of "Affirming" congregations growing which is is GREAT! There seems to be more of an effort to make that be an obvious part of the congregation life than in my background, which is Judaism. Yes, Reform and Reconstructionist <the most "liberal" strands of Judaism> tend to be open in relation to the GBLTQ community but my experience has been there's nothing that proclaims to someone who is not straight - YES, you ARE welcome here, no BS!

Non-denominational - what's that?

It goes back to scripture that says a woman should remain silent in church where men are present. They use this as a way to say that women should not be ordained. But last night I was looking on SBCnet and apparently a VERY few SBC churches have women as ordained ministers. Maybe they said the women could be ordained but can only preach where the audience is all women, no men. However what irks me is everyone oohs and aahs over Beth Moore (yeah she has her own ministry and is giving other prominent male ministers a run for their money) but yet they claim she is NOT a preacher but is rather a teacher. If you ever read her books or watch her conferences on youtube I honestly believe she is preaching. She studies scripture and then tells us how to apply it to our lives just as a preacher does. So what is the difference? I'm thinking they don't want to give her the title simply because she doesn't have the male plumbing! Also I should note that another prominent SBC preacher, Charles Stanley, is now divorced. Given SBC rules/doctrine he should no longer be allowed to preach because one of the 7 things a preacher must fulfill is that he must be married and must never divorce. But yet he is still preaching. I call double standard with the SBC on that one! I think with the SBC it really comes down to your name and what is in your bank account. And yet I sit here and say I am Southern Baptist as well while also living partially out of the closet as a lesbian. (I do suspect my congregation knows but can't say anything unless I just outright say I'm gay and I'm leaving). I wish the SBC would understand that they are backwards on some of their thinking. Sometimes I wonder if those who wrote the doctrine took scripture out of context and manipulated it to sound like this is God's word. It was the 1990's before the SBC recanted their stance on blacks and apologized to the black community for it. The SBC was originally against blacks and would often bar them from membership. Yeah the SBC used to be racist, but have changed although there are very few black SBC members.

I hope no one takes offense to this :shock:

but, why are so many Deaf people Christians? I know a lot of hearing people are too, but every single Deaf person I have met in real life is a Christian, while a majority of my hearing friends are not.. not that i have a bunch of atheist friends or anything, but most are agnostic or believe their own things.. i myself consider myself agnostic.. i think. ha but i have nothing against anyone of any certain faith. every once in a while ill even go to a church.. i still like to explore other religions' ideas from time to time. and i think churches smell good.. haha

anyway does anyone on here consider themselves not Christian? And does anyone have any insight of why so many Deaf people seem to be Christian? Let me know if I am being ignorant here.. Just something that has crossed my mind a few time.
It's funny, because from my experience, hearing people are more religious than deaf people. Through my eyes, it looks like hearing people are more prone to group thinking and pressure from the local churchs, especially in small villages, while deaf people seek deaf communities and met more diverse people.

But guess it has a lot to do where you live. The areas with the highest precentage of christian deaf people I've been to, are in third world countries, where missionaries are running services for deaf people, or built the services.

this is interesting, flip - I see what you mean about deaf people seeking deaf communities. I'm wondering about how d/Deafness unites people many times across borders and cultures.

Christian

I hope no one takes offense to this :shock:

but, why are so many Deaf people Christians? I know a lot of hearing people are too, but every single Deaf person I have met in real life is a Christian, while a majority of my hearing friends are not.. not that i have a bunch of atheist friends or anything, but most are agnostic or believe their own things.. i myself consider myself agnostic.. i think. ha but i have nothing against anyone of any certain faith. every once in a while ill even go to a church.. i still like to explore other religions' ideas from time to time. and i think churches smell good.. haha

anyway does anyone on here consider themselves not Christian? And does anyone have any insight of why so many Deaf people seem to be Christian? Let me know if I am being ignorant here.. Just something that has crossed my mind a few time.

Did you read the thread on here asking why we can't just get along. I read some statements on there that were both saddening and hatefilled. I have studied many religions thru my life, with great interest..and yes! I have a personal relationship with my Creator. I am sure there were plenty of people calling themselves christians but my feeling is from some of the comments and posts made right here...on AD, there are many deaf that a not living a christian lifestyle. It is not for me to judge them. You are not ignorant at all..smile,,You just need to read the words and remember it is by word and deed we are all measured. "Christian" for some is a word they use much like the US Flag,,they wrap themselves in it as a form of acceptance. Peace to you...from my heart. M..♥♥♥:wave:

I agree with flip. The Deaf community tends to be more diverse, especially racially diverse.

Dixie, who is Beth Moore?
:ty: for explaining, yes, I'm aware that SBC has held hurtful beliefs about many groups of people. I personally think there is quite a lot of manipulation of doctrinal texts to suit people's purposes. I think sometimes people have certain experiences in religions and that can really turn people off, like what happened to my parents before I was born. Both Jewish, both raised very differently as Jews, they were married by a Rabbi with a Hebrew and English certificate....then had bad experiences with the synagogue/rabbi they were affiliated with at that time, and went away from it.

Dixie, who is Beth Moore?
:ty: for explaining, yes, I'm aware that SBC has held hurtful beliefs about many groups of people. I personally think there is quite a lot of manipulation of doctrinal texts to suit people's purposes. I think sometimes people have certain experiences in religions and that can really turn people off, like what happened to my parents before I was born. Both Jewish, both raised very differently as Jews, they were married by a Rabbi with a Hebrew and English certificate....then had bad experiences with the synagogue/rabbi they were affiliated with at that time, and went away from it.

Here:
Living Proof Ministries

Back