Deaf Parents Of Hearing Children

What other issues have you faced as a Deaf parent of hearing children? I would love to compare them to some of the issues I have faced as a hearing parent. Maybe we can give each other some insight. Please reply. Thanks!

My children are hearing.

And they're times I know my kids say something smart alecky. But when I go back and ask...What you say? They will change what they have said. Since I know I pretty much understood and heard what they said. They will change it.

Burns me up.

Any other deaf parents feel this way?

Not only to deaf parents, sometime kids who learned foreign language in school, will said something that parent don't understand even sometime kids would said in "text" language. My friends told me about their kids that to them.

True to other talk about when kids grew up and tell parent sorry for not be honest as well when they have their own kids.

Please forgive my ignorance... I only know mostly about Deaf child of Deaf (or hearing) parent(s). I know so little about hearing children of deaf parents.

I hope you don't mind me to ask.

If I have a hearing child, where would I find a speech therapy? At only deaf schools?

How could I teach a child to speak properly? I don't speak.

What good books with sound that I could find?

Sorry, they are sound like silly questions.

Eheh... ^^;;; but I think it would help me better if I have a child who is hearing. Cos I feel I may have a hearing child in future... who knows?

Please forgive my ignorance... I only know mostly about Deaf child of Deaf (or hearing) parent(s). I know so little about hearing children of deaf parents.

If I have a hearing child, where would I find a speech therapy? At only deaf schools?

Eheh... ^^;;; but I think it would help me better if I have a child who is hearing. Cos I feel I may have a hearing child in future... who knows?

Yes there is speech therapy in public schools for hearing children, as my daughter attended.

Also if no hearing relatives are around to use speech to the child, Sesame Street and other PBS programs will provide a lot. We always had that on when our kids were little.

Same what Bottesini that my daughter recevies a speech therapy from her school. Also, My daughter did see IEP when she was small.

Deaf parents should always encourage their Hearing children to speak. Playgroups with smaller children and pre school will help.

I'm sorry for not being much of a help in this thread because both of my sons are deaf.

But, There's one thing I do know - deaf kids will do the same thing by trying to 'hide' their signs. I often would catch them and ask them what did they say?

Just last weekend, my youngest son at 8 years old said "You're a pea brain" and I'm like "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" and he goes on to say "I said you were smart". I was like, Yeah that's what I thought, lol.

Anyway, back to the topic - I've seen some other hearing friends of mine that has deaf parents who would do the same thing by talking about things front of their deaf parents. :shock:

I also find it disrespectful as well.

Okay, thanks for the answer. I may come and ask some questions, but again, thank you. :)

Yeah I was concern if I have a hearing kid, then I would might get frustrate and always wish to know what they say, or what they are like when they are around their friends. Or something. It will make me feel left out and upset for not know my kids very well if they are hearing.

But I was very excited when my 1st kid born deaf like me. I can understand whole thing what he say.

I know your family, they are hearing..they can help you when they visit you and ur future kid often. My friend is from Salem, you should know her but i rather not say her name in here. But she's deaf, and her son is hearing. She recently had IEP meeting, they decided to heldback her son to 1st grade again! She got really upset. She couldn't find where therapy speech for son. It's hard. Son is learning from his deaf mom..I means his mom is hard of hearing, can talk but not perfect sentence..Talk like ASL way. Son can't talk like english. He talk speak like his mom in ASL way. This Salem city is hard to find speech therapy.

I know your family, they are hearing..they can help you when they visit you and ur future kid often. My friend is from Salem, you should know her but i rather not say her name in here. But she's deaf, and her son is hearing. She recently had IEP meeting, they decided to heldback her son to 1st grade again! She got really upset. She couldn't find where therapy speech for son. It's hard. Son is learning from his deaf mom..I means his mom is hard of hearing, can talk but not perfect sentence..Talk like ASL way. Son can't talk like english. He talk speak like his mom in ASL way. This Salem city is hard to find speech therapy.

Bold font -- No, you don't know my family at all. I already sent you a via PM, please check it out.

Okay, just PM me about her so I probably will know who she is. I'm interesting to visit her someday. :)

Thanks for the answer, Melissa.

Seems to be something we'll just have to accept...

There's no stopping to it, it is culturally taught. Even hearing parents.. for example, mine - faced the same thing back when I was a teenager. My friends have done same with theirs. We just mutter under our breaths, and when they ask "what did you say?", we changed it.

Some teens will want to talk back to their parents, to have the last word.

Maybe American culture is to blame?

I had to answer this one
No, I say it is worldwide
It is part of growing up, Deaf Kids or Hard of Hearing kids
Hearing Kids or Blind kids

Most kids can be cheeky so and so, they just need to learn what is right and what is wrong
Er, I am not a parent so if you don't want to agree with it that is fine by me

My children are hearing.

And they're times I know my kids say something smart alecky. But when I go back and ask...What you say? They will change what they have said. Since I know I pretty much understood and heard what they said. They will change it.

Burns me up.

Any other deaf parents feel this way?
happens to hearing parents too.

Back