Deaf Nurse

pjay

Reaction score
I am looking to change my career. I've always wanted to be a nurse, but gave up the dream when I started losing my hearing. My friend who was born deaf tells me that deaf people can do anything, and not that I don't agree, but I was hearing most of my life and I just see more of the things that deaf can't do. Probably because I knew what I could do before I lost my hearing and what I can do now.

I'm seriously considering going back to school for nursing, but don't want to waste my time and money if no one will hire me.

When my mother was in the hospital back in 2006 for her double pneumonia, one of the ICU nurses was deaf. She had a 90 dcbl loss in both ears. She wore HA's that did not help much and had a special stethoscope. She graduated from nursing school after her hearing had gotten worse. She chose the ICU as it was a smaller area. It is busier, but there are monitors everywhere and everyone works with her.

I say, "Go for it". I had always wanted to go into nursing and was a CNA at both a hospital and a nursing home. I did not go further since I had the issue of getting too attached to the patients and then they would die and I would sink into a depression. Also, problems with my leg began to get worse at that point.

Back