Deaf Nurse

Did want to say my experience in every field you have to fight really hard to get people to see what you can do as a hoh person or deaf person.

No matter what. Anyways hope this gives you a boost---she's been one for over a decade

Last edited:
Are you profoundly Deaf?

Yes deaf can be nurse, I am one of them and I work in the OR. Best wishes

You are a Deaf nurse in the Operating Room? RN License? If so, what accommodations do they provide for you when it comes to communication with a client, etc?

I am Deaf, and I am a P.A. I also work with 2 Deaf RN's and a Deaf M.D. Hell, they encourage the Deaf to go into medical. :P Everyone I work with and myself all have C.I.'s, so I'm not completely sure if someone were unaided how that would work, but I certainly believe there'd be accommodations of some sort. :D Best of luck.

Wow! Awesome!

I know it's been 4 yrs since this post but it can help others with the same question. Can a deaf or HOH person be a nurse? The answer is YES and it is all about getting the right tools. I am a nurse with severe hearing loss in my ears bilaterally. I wear BTE hearing aids. Technology out there is innovative, and amazing. The right hearing aids can bluetooth to stethoscopes or cell phones. In densely populated cities such as NY and Miami there is a high demand for nurses fluent in ASL for deaf/ HOH folks. You have to fight for your right to be what you want to be and PROVE it. You have to figure out ways to adapt and adjust and you have to accept reality. In reality, I know there are some fields I should probably stay away from in order to ensure the safety of patients as well as myself. For example, I would not work in an Emergency room where hearing is a bit more crucial- however working in Peds or geriatrics(older population) is a great field to get into. There's options and there's ways. I have not personally met any fully deaf nurses yet but I have read forums where all deaf nurses d work in the field-
Is there other states other than NY and Miami for a high demand for nurses fluent in ASL for deaf/HOH in the western part of USA? I have thought of going to Medical Assistant as a start? I have a question about science background since I am not quite strong in that area.. Which science course can I take first, then take another harder science course that i need to hone my skills in? I want to go to RN eventually but I want to focus my science part first while I am taking courses in medical assistant. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Good for you!!! That is the route I am going to.

anyone can become a nurse, DEAF, HOH or HEARING!
they can go to ANY school they want and the school is REQUIRE BY LAW to provide an interpter!!! if they do not provide an interpter, the school can get into ALOT ALOT of trouble!!!
i am student to become medical assistant. (i am deaf) i am in honors! i will be completing in APRIL 2010! deafness, will not get in my way! either shld it let anyone. please tell your friend, to GO FOR IT!!! :)
we need MORE DEAF nurses, doctors etc etc etc!! :)

I have wanted to be a Physician's Assistant someday. For now, I passed my state exam. Now I am going to go through Medical Assistant and just work then work my way up. I am Deaf as well. I agree: we need more Deaf doctors, nurses, LPN, M.A., so on. Best of luck to you!

60 yrs ago I applied to three nursing schools. Two rejected my applications because I was deaf. I did not argue with them as I knew (and still know) a deaf person cannot be a nurse where communications are crucial. The third school accepted my application but only if I work with babies which I did not want to do. We need to be sensitive to the fact that interpreting services are very expensive and should not be taken advantage of if the future as an employable nurse is uncertain. There are other medical occupations a deaf person can do.

Are you profoundly Deaf?

You are a Deaf nurse in the Operating Room? RN License? If so, what accommodations do they provide for you when it comes to communication with a client, etc?
There is no way any deaf person can be a nurse or a doctor where oral communications are crucial. What if a patient dies as a result of miscommunications? Just because someone says he is a nurse, etc. does not necessarily mean that he is working directly with patients or co-workers in some areas of the hospital.

There is no way any deaf person can be a nurse or a doctor where oral communications are crucial. What if a patient dies as a result of miscommunications? Just because someone says he is a nurse, etc. does not necessarily mean that he is working directly with patients or co-workers in some areas of the hospital.
Oh contraire I know a deaf ICU nurse, technology has made it possible, she still has challenges, but works with understanding and accommodating staff

Obviously you have not been keeping up with the times. Maybe you should do some research. Here, let me get you started. www.amphl.org

Back