Deaf Mentor for my child

katiek

Reaction score
Given that my son is deaf and our family is a total communication family, I feel very strongly that my son needs to have a strong Deaf role model in his life. Someone who can show him that he's perfect just the way that he is and help immerse him in the Deaf culture. Obviously, it's a culture that I'm not a part of. I have attended a few socials, but since I'm still doing my best to learn ASL (college course and private tutor as well as classes online) it's hard for me to communicate other than writing. Any other suggestions on how to help my son establish himself in the Deaf culture. He's only three at this point, but I still think it's important as he grows.

Thanks!

Have you looked into any meeting groups? I know some parents like to get together for play dates. That, at least to me, would seem like a good way to immerse yourself and your son.

did you have any deaf service agency to see if they have any kind of Deaf mentor??

The Deaf Services agency doesn't have any mentors :(
I have tried with parents of other Deaf children, but it seems my viewpoint on his deafness isn't held by many. I don't see why CI's and ASL can't live TOGETHER and everyone I've met is one of the other. I'd love to meet an adult who has a CI and is fluent in ASL for my son to look up to. That would be my goal and I'm going to keep looking!!!

Hope you will find someone soon!...Have you thought about maybe an older deaf child?...

Years ago, I was sort of a mentor to a very good friend of mine (a police officer and now a Detective) whose daughter was born deaf w/no speech. I babysat for her, took her to the park and even did some fishing with her...It was enjoyable...and would do it again if the opportunity comes up. She;s grown up now...and into Law Enforcement, a very bright young lady! And the apple of her Dad's eye....

I have absolutely no idea where Paso Robles is in California (from your avatar) but are you anywhere near any of the deaf schools? There's at least 3 in California that I'm aware of. Even if not, perhaps if you contact the schools, maybe they can guide you where to find a mentor?

EDIT: I see Fremont (CSD) is about 175 miles, Northridge (CSUN) is about 190 miles. I know too far to drive, but maybe they have people attending those schools that might live somewhere near you.

The Deaf Services agency doesn't have any mentors :(
I have tried with parents of other Deaf children, but it seems my viewpoint on his deafness isn't held by many. I don't see why CI's and ASL can't live TOGETHER and everyone I've met is one of the other. I'd love to meet an adult who has a CI and is fluent in ASL for my son to look up to. That would be my goal and I'm going to keep looking!!!

Aww, maybe you can try to contact two deaf schools in CA for referring you to see if there are any Deaf mentors. I know too many Deaf people who lives there But i dont know which towns they are in. Mostly near by riverhead or fermont. I know Deaf mentor would be a great beneficial to any small deaf/Deaf/HOH/CI users kids.

Thanks for the ideas! I sent some emails and hope to get some responses soon!

Total Communication

You are not alone in wanting total communication. My son is almost 3 and is deaf. He also has Down Syndrome. We are learning ASL and also working on speech as well. He has a CI and Hearing Aid. We would also like him to have a Deaf Mentor as well as deaf friends his age. Perhaps we can connect at some point as my family travels up the coast a few times a year (we are in Ventura County) and are pretty familiar with San Luis Obispo and some surrounding areas.

Hi! I recently moved to Santa Maria area. I'm Deaf and have worked as an ASL teacher and Deaf mentor for over 15 years. I sometimes head north to Paseo Robles. If you are still in the area and interested in meeting, I'd be happy to set up something. -Sarah. :wave:

You might want to check out KODAWest, might be able to meet some folks in your area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back