Deaf Interview

I sort of wish that for anyone new signing up, they have to read a disclaimer and be directed to Jolie's thread about all the newcomers who come in here to besiege us with questions. Having been a member here for over 5 years and seen hundreds, if not thousands, of these similar posts with questions, it is no surprise anymore that very few even look at these anymore. We are not guinea pigs. Jolie had the right idea.

Grendel, THANK YOU OH SO MUCH! It would warm my heart to meet your little girl very much! :) I think my teacher, Tim, will have a blast reading this paper from a child's perspective.

Bottesini, I guarantee is I asked a deaf person some of these questions in public, they may just walk away from me.

Actually, I would correct your manners.

1) What is your mother's maiden name?
2) What is your birthdate?
3) What is your city, state and zip code?
4) Is your blood type A+, AB+, B+, O+, A-, AB-, B- or O-?
5) What is the CVV code on your primary credit card (the number on the back)?

:giggle:

Most of the questions struck me as the sort you'd ask in a "getting to know you" sort of situation, like if you're at dinner with someone. It's not like you're looking for state secrets, so it should be fine ;)

March 18, 1990
Des Moines, IA (zip code, no way Jose)
I think O+
And no CC information, nice try :)

Actually, I would correct your manners.

I'm still trying to get used to communicating with deaf people. I apologize for asking those questions and in the future, will not ask personal question.

In the deaf culture, I'm not sure what's appropiate and what's not. I hope to learn about your cultural values more through you and others as well. Unlike most hearing people, I'm willing to learn more about the culture.

Hey, have a good night okay! :)

I'm still trying to get used to communicating with deaf people. I apologize for asking those questions and in the future, will not ask personal question.

In the deaf culture, I'm not sure what's appropiate and what's not. I hope to learn about your cultural values more through you and others as well. Unlike most hearing people, I'm willing to learn more about the culture.

Hey, have a good night okay! :)

I can see both points of view but I have to say I'm siding with Bott here.

As a person learning ASL, asking questions over the internet does come across as rude and impersonal, they do not know you from a bar of soap, yet you're asking someone to answer personal questions.

I'm a hearing person and learning Auslan at TAFE. In order for me to get involved in the Deaf Community I keep my eye out for events and such.
Such things coming up so far are:
  • WAAD (Western Australian Association for the Deaf) are putting on a Good Friday picnic
  • Drag Show that is Auslan Interpreted
  • Auslan Interpreter performance of Mary Poppins (I'm still looking into going to that one) in May

Being in the U.S you have far more opportunites to mingle and expose yourself to the Deaf Community - Australia is so far behind.

Have you thought of looking up any deaf events near you and going along?
Most of those questions could be answered during a bit of conversation with someone new that you've met...
Try and make friends, rather than an interviewee...

Best way to practise your ASL is use at a Deaf Event near you.

I was in Iowa back in 2000 visit. I did meet some deaf people there. I think it'll be fun to interview someone in person. You see, I can tell you, I'm fluent in ASL, but no one will know. I'm just typing. That is why you need to interview someone so that you can see ASL in person.

Back