Deaf Immigrants

aaronbean

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in hearing opinions from Deaf foreign immigrants!

What was your impression of the culture of Deaf Americans when you immigrated to the U.S.? What was your impression of the level of respect, patience, and hospitality for a Deaf foreigner?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Ab

Hello everyone, its been a few days and no replies, so I'm expanding the question to all Deaf. Has anyone encountered any deaf immigrants who tried to assimilate into American/Deaf culture. What was your impression of their experience? what kind of hardships did you see them experience, etc?

Thanks!
Aaron

Are you considering immigrating?

My son went to school with several deaf students from other countries; the two which come to mind most readily are Iran and Africa. They did not encounter any hardships over and above what American deaf encounter on a daily basis. They were readily accepted into the culture of the deaf school.

Are you considering immigrating?

My son went to school with several deaf students from other countries; the two which come to mind most readily are Iran and Africa. They did not encounter any hardships over and above what American deaf encounter on a daily basis. They were readily accepted into the culture of the deaf school.

True. I know couple of deaf kids who came from columbia and they adjusted very quickly into the deaf culture/deaf world rather than in general of amercia. Yet they did learn from us as american and then they did very well at adjusting to be fit into america such as learning english through ASL.

True. I know couple of deaf kids who came from columbia and they adjusted very quickly into the deaf culture/deaf world rather than in general of amercia. Yet they did learn from us as american and then they did very well at adjusting to be fit into america such as learning english through ASL.

Hello, Thanks both of you for the replies. I'm not immigrating, I'm an American citizen, but I have a friend who lives in another country and will be visiting the States soon. Although she doesn't have any plans regarding immigration right now, it may be a long term goal.

Back