Deaf gay parents: signs for mom/dad

straddler

Reaction score
For gay parents who have a child, obviously they can't both be called "mom" or "dad," so hearing parents will have "mom" and "mama" or similar...what about Deaf gay parents? I can't think of more than one sign for mom or for dad. :dunno: The only thing I've though of so far is doing something like "mom" (in ASL) for one and "mom" with wiggly fingers for the other. Your thoughts?

Good question. My cousin calls his dads Daddy James and Daddy Stuart.
Maybe, handle it with a name sign....like Daddy/Mom whatever their initial is?

Good question. My cousin calls his dads Daddy James and Daddy Stuart.
Maybe, handle it with a name sign....like Daddy/Mom whatever their initial is?

That works, but what about when the kids are babies? Seems like kind of a sophisticated distinction for someone under a year or two old.

I assume that each partner will teach the baby their specific name sign and then generalize with 'dad depending on the context of the conversation as they get older.

I know I'm new here, but what if the sign for "mom" (or "dad") was moved from center, with one being slightly right and the other slightly left? (i.e. for "dad" touching each temple rather than the forehead)

what about MOTHER/FATHER (open 5) for one parent and MUM/DAD(index) for the other ??
As long as you were consistent about who was associated with which sign I'd think that would work

(or is that what you meant originally)

Since my girlfriend and I are planning on teaching our kids sign (one day) :) we had talked about this before. I was thinking maybe do the same sign for "mother", but do one on one side of the chin, and other on the other side of the chin. I figured I would ask someone first, though, and make sure that wouldn't be confusing somehow. (For example, the sign for "parents" then could easily look like a backwards "farm"?)

that is not comfortable well Im not comfortable gay well I don'tr like that is comfortable well I don't understand i think so difficult to think...

See? That's problem.

"Dad!"

"What is it, pretty boy?" Both dad replied.

"Not you, you!"

"I win! I'm best father! What is it?"

"Can I have 50 bucks?"

"What the...."

See? That's problem.

"Dad!"

"What is it, pretty boy?" Both dad replied.

"Not you, you!"

"I win! I'm best father! What is it?"

"Can I have 50 bucks?"

"What the...."

Ha, well in this case, it'd be better to call the biological (through a surrogate mother) father "Dad" and his bf/hubby "Daddy <insert name here.>"

Any ideas?

Back