Deaf designers/artists?

Sanctum1972

Reaction score
Hello,

Are there any of you who have had successes as professional artists/designers for the film, comic book, publishing industries..even galleries? Let me know.
I also want to know if some of you have been discriminated from getting graphic design jobs just because they THINK you can't "translate" ideas from the hearing world's culture and things like that. I think there's something wrong out there because I don't HEAR about any deaf comic book creators (I'm not talking about just web comics online..anyone can do that..that's easy)..I'm talking about being published in the comics/graphic novel industry for REAL and being in conventions, etc.
Or film concept artists for storyboarding or video game production?

Where are you?

Thanks,

Adam

Maybe you should move to Laurent, SD and you'll never face discrimination again. ;)

I haven't been involved with the artist/designer field, so I am not sure how to answer that. I am planning on getting my Master's in Arts Administration. It'll be about 4 to 5 years until I get it.

Ah

Deaf258 said:
Maybe you should move to Laurent, SD and you'll never face discrimination again. ;)

I haven't been involved with the artist/designer field, so I am not sure how to answer that. I am planning on getting my Master's in Arts Administration. It'll be about 4 to 5 years until I get it.

heh. Well, I'm an illustrator/designer nowadays and art school is behind me. I'm just concerned about deaf people's creative endeavors and if they have had any problems trying to get themselves out there.

-Adam

Sanctum1972 said:
heh. Well, I'm an illustrator/designer nowadays and art school is behind me. I'm just concerned about deaf people's creative endeavors and if they have had any problems trying to get themselves out there.

-Adam

I am not sure about "out there", but I have faced discrimination from VR about my current choice in degree. And to make it worse, the VR counselor is Deaf, too! :pissed:

bummer.

Deaf258 said:
I am not sure about "out there", but I have faced discrimination from VR about my current choice in degree. And to make it worse, the VR counselor is Deaf, too! :pissed:

Give me the name of your VR counselor..I'll deal w/ him/her.

-Adam

Deaf258 said:
I am a VR counselor in PA....your vr counselor has no rights to do that to you...you can appeal CAP (client assistance program), then CAP meditor or "lawyer" will take a look at it and will tell vr counselor to do whatever you would like him or her to do services for you (to pay for your college tuition, etc).

Well Well Well Well.....

I am a multimedia designer, it took me two years trying to find graphic designer job. People out there kept telling me, Oh you do not have the experience or you are overexperienced.

Now I have been working for this company for 7 yrs. Hate it.

My husband just lost his job as Graphic Designer for 8 yrs running, almost 9 yrs because of simple proofreading error three months ago. His company let him go because he did not meet their meets like error free all the time no more than 2 mistakes a year. How can you be so perfect the whole time, my hubby made like error for example : employmeent

double e's - oops. My husband was given wrong numbers for the lot numbers which was not his fault, his bosses still consider it a fault. They went bye bye for my husband. My husband has not found a job in 3 months, no call, no interview, not a word. My hubby went for a job interview in NC. their word "overexperienced and how do we communicate"

my hubby is depressed, lost motivation and all. I mean come on! 8 years with excellent performance even he won several awards until few months ago, bosses did not want to handle him anymore because hubby have been finding errors with the bosses in first place, tried to communicate them, bosses shut him off....hubby asked for promotion. none for 8 yrs. Fair? nope.

Hubby did contact VR....they did nothing but shit in their pants. Contacted temp agencies, not one agency called. It is out there for discrimination against deafness. I don't know what to do since I am the breadwinner for now, barely making by to meet the ends.

I dunno what to do since My husband still can not find a job, he works temporary at a home depot store, he feels he is a failure. he has college degree, work experience and people treat him like a shit.

Pisses me off...sigh. :thumbd:

wow.

Wow...that's uncool of them and needs to be slapped around. I think it's wrong to just fire the guy just because of some clerical errors. After all, if others can't explain themselves clearly to him about what the wording means, it would've made his job easier.
Then again, it could've been a set up just to 'screw' him out of work. I could be wrong though.
Maybe he can try doing freelance copywriting or proofing for other agencies?
I find VR's to be irritating sometimes. I have one myself but she's cool for the most part.

-Adam

for his graphic design position, there is no proof reading in his job description...which makes no sense. because his company do have proof reader and does not want my husband to use theirs. :fu2:

Wow, I am from switzerland and I am a science computer for development (the apprenticeship, I'll be finish in next year). And my hobby is 3d visual...

I hope, that you all contact with me about designer..let's send me email..

last wip:
http://www.pc-freaks.ch/kkm/staircase/
I hope you like it :)

I didnt know about you problem in usa but very interessing, here is still problem too...

do you know, who does somebody work in designer for movie?? oder never?

kkm

those idiots..

downing said:
for his graphic design position, there is no proof reading in his job description...which makes no sense. because his company do have proof reader and does not want my husband to use theirs. :fu2:

Or they're afraid he would'nt understand "English"? They're just being a---holes.

-Adam

I am a graphic designer that doesnt have any problem. Mainly print and web stuff. Since i require everything to be a written request for the sake of documentation it is not much of a issue.

The way i look at it is if they cant write down what they want then how am i to create something that they want.

I know some deaf artists and designers and one is working for Disney.

Yes, VR needs a major overhaul, until that happens the deafs will continue to suffer at their whims.

Richard

seriously?

Nesmuth said:
I know some deaf artists and designers and one is working for Disney.

Yes, VR needs a major overhaul, until that happens the deafs will continue to suffer at their whims.

Richard

One of them works for Disney? I did'nt know that. Why was this never brought up? What is this person doing for Disney? Production? CGI? Background art?

What other artists/designers do you know are doing nowadays?

-Adam

Nesmuth

Nesmuth,

I don't know if you got this message but I was wondering if you were able to answer my question from the previous post? I'd like to know what the deaf creatives you know are really doing nowadays? Are they currently in Disney and such? Promoted or such?
Did any deaf creative, you know, also get rejected other than the fact their portfolio is good?
This is VERY important that I know this.

Thanks,

Adam

Okay..

Okay Nesmuth..it seems you probably have no idea what I'm talking about or are pretending about your deaf friends who work for disney and such. It seems you don't know HOW to answer my questions.

-Adam

To Nesmuth

Hello Nesmuth,

I'm going to repost the questions to you again:

--I don't know if you got this message but I was wondering if you were able to answer my question from the previous post? I'd like to know what the deaf creatives you know are really doing nowadays? Are they currently in Disney and such? Promoted or such?
Did any deaf creative, you know, also get rejected other than the fact their portfolio is good?
This is VERY important that I know this.

Thanks,

Adam--

You CLAIMED you knew of some deafs working for Disney and I wanted to know in what capacity were they involved in for that company. Did they do menial jobs as in janitors OR creatively involved with the line animators? I'm getting EXTREMELY frustrated at the lack of responses from people on here who don't seem to understand what I'm trying to do and that is, to find out how many deaf designers/artists are out there being successful in their field OR have been discriminated out of their jobs.
Were there deaf people involved in making video games for a company? Do you know of any? None? I wonder why?
I know some of you TRIED to break in the creative industry professionally and have had a hard time doing so. So far, I found out that TWO deaf designers (not from this website) who have had problems with their companies/design agencies who did'nt like to use TTY with them.
I'm trying to also find out if there are any DEAF artists/designers in Cleveland, Ohio as well. Are they doing work professionally around here? (Hello Angel..I'm sure you are reading this?).
I have been published in the comic book industry as an illustrator/writer (small press, though, not mass market..but I hope to someday)..and I know how it works out there. It's a lot of fun being in conventions and signing autographs..I did it and shared a booth with an editor who was trying to sell some stuff (our books) and it was interesting.
I'm quite convinced that there are NO deaf people working professionally in the comic book field at all and it appears that I'm the first one which I'm not bragging but sharing my observations.

Thanks,

Adam

About Deaf Artists and Designers.

Hi, I am an Independent Transportation and Industrial Designers. There are not many of us. I am only one at the Design Forum annually for a few years now. It is not easy for me to get up the ladder to be successful. I have my own business hence the screenname. That is the business name.

What I sugguest is that you join societies that will help you to be successful by networking with other designers or artists, etc. They say 10 fold on your investment as a member of a society.

I noticed I am more successfully if I do not say I am Deaf at all! Just keep your mouth shut and act professionally and they will sort of surprise that you can do your work. Actions speak louder if you get my meaning.

Networking helps a lot. Maybe you ought to join me this coming January to the Design Forum in Detroit. I am reserving a table for 10 of us Deaf people including one for my interpreter that the Forum pays for. So far, 4 of us are expressing or are planning to attend. This is how I got 2 companies expressing interest in having me to work for them on independent status.

I feel bad for that gentleman who got fired for "errors" he caused by that company. I understand and that is real "nice" of the company to fire him! No excuse. If I had millions.. I would hire him like that. Heck, all of you guys! That is my long term goal to get my business grow into a large company to hire minorities such as Deaf, Blind, Disabled, etc... Hey, most famous Deaf "Designer" was an inventor and he started GE.. His name was Thomas Edison! :)

downing said:
Well Well Well Well.....

I am a multimedia designer, it took me two years trying to find graphic designer job. People out there kept telling me, Oh you do not have the experience or you are overexperienced.

Now I have been working for this company for 7 yrs. Hate it.

My husband just lost his job as Graphic Designer for 8 yrs running, almost 9 yrs because of simple proofreading error three months ago. His company let him go because he did not meet their meets like error free all the time no more than 2 mistakes a year. How can you be so perfect the whole time, my hubby made like error for example : employmeent

double e's - oops. My husband was given wrong numbers for the lot numbers which was not his fault, his bosses still consider it a fault. They went bye bye for my husband. My husband has not found a job in 3 months, no call, no interview, not a word. My hubby went for a job interview in NC. their word "overexperienced and how do we communicate"

my hubby is depressed, lost motivation and all. I mean come on! 8 years with excellent performance even he won several awards until few months ago, bosses did not want to handle him anymore because hubby have been finding errors with the bosses in first place, tried to communicate them, bosses shut him off....hubby asked for promotion. none for 8 yrs. Fair? nope.

Hubby did contact VR....they did nothing but shit in their pants. Contacted temp agencies, not one agency called. It is out there for discrimination against deafness. I don't know what to do since I am the breadwinner for now, barely making by to meet the ends.

I dunno what to do since My husband still can not find a job, he works temporary at a home depot store, he feels he is a failure. he has college degree, work experience and people treat him like a shit.

Pisses me off...sigh. :thumbd:

Why not work in Oklahoma -- might be dull but they are popular for publish/grahpic. If he is looking for one; thats all I can say about Oklahoma. Hope someone share about their state' popular of career that can apply to him.

Wish you luck.

Back