Deaf couple charged in new VRS fraud case

Sad. Wonder why the FCC waited until now? More evidence? Something to learn from the first trial with the Yehs and others?

I don't understand exactly what their crime was. What's this about making all these calls?

I don't understand exactly what their crime was. What's this about making all these calls?

Reading the indictment, this is my limited understanding (anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong):

B&B (the couple being indicted) hired employees to work for them. To get paid, they are required to spend at least 80% of their work time making VRS calls, using the VRS provider that B&B is contracted with (for example, Viable). If the employee do not meet the 80% quota, then their "paycheck" would be reduced. In exchange, the VRS provider that they are contracted with pays B&B money for bringing in the VRS minutes.

This is artificially creating VRS minutes, a big no-no.

If the employee do not meet the 80% quota, then their "paycheck" would be reduced. In exchange, the VRS provider that they are contracted with pays B&B money for bringing in the VRS minutes.

This is artificially creating VRS minutes, a big no-no.

right, aka pumping up the minutes

Andy has kids that are adults running a VRS business? Or used to, anyway?

No.

One of them is Gallaudet student. I highly doubt that they do anything with this case or VRS business.

Back