Deaf Community in Mexico?

christytex

Reaction score
Hi, this is Christy and I would like to know if there is a deaf community or deaf residents in Mexico. I am thinking to relocate to Cozumel because I always wanted to live in the island, and dive there. I would love to hear from someone from any city of Mexico and their deaf communities. Thank you.

I know of a deaf artist from Mexico, but I don't know where she lives and I don't know if she'd like for me to give out her address. She was a nice enough woman. :) Does Mexico have a deaf association that you can get in touch with?

Liza said:
I know of a deaf artist from Mexico, but I don't know where she lives and I don't know if she'd like for me to give out her address. She was a nice enough woman. :) Does Mexico have a deaf association that you can get in touch with?

I would love to get in touch with any deaf person who lives in Mexico. I don't know if they have a deaf association or a deaf club that I could know about.

In Feburary 2004, I went on a dive trip to Cozumel and looked for anyone signing. Found no one during my surface interval. ;(

During one dive, my hearing dive-buddy and I were taking it slow and easy to take pictures of the reef. Another dive group caught up with us in the drift. Their Divemaster frantically signed, "You not my group! You more go!" I instinctively replied, "Know that" and thought, "Jeeze! What's your problem?"

We were on the tail end of our group and put some distance away from the other group so their guests didn't follow us. It didn't hit me right away that I was actually signing with someone else underwater. My dive-buddy hadn't a clue until I told him back on the boat.

In Honduras last July, my wife and I bumped into a college student that had ASL 1, 2, & 3. Short conversations.

We still look for Deaf Divers whenever we hit the salt.

Steve

Last year at one of the Royal Carribbean Cruise stops in Ensenada. I took a long hike up to Sordomundo school. This would be the 2nd time I visit it. There's been much improvements to it since I been there in 1980 through the deaf church in Pico Rivera, California. Yes theres a good sized deaf community in Ensenada.

The signs they use are similar to ASL however there's been some differences in signs that could cause humorous embarrassments. They panhandle to make their living.

Richard

That's cool. I am looking for the deaf communities near Playa de Carmen, Cozumel and Cancun. I wonder if they exist. Let me know if you know anything about it.

Back