Deaf characters

lostandtryingmybest

Reaction score
A fun question thread I hope :)

Are there any characters you like that are confirmed to be deaf? Or maybe characters that aren't, but you picture them that way regardless?
I really like Shouko Nishimiya, from A Silent Voice. That's who my icon is! As far as I know the original author is hearing, so I won't claim the manga or movie paints a perfect picture of d/Deafness, but it was the first time I saw a character signing (though of course it is JSL) and it really stuck with me. When I first watched it I didn't yet understand how badly I was struggling - I thought everyone did, I guess.
I watched it a few times over, once with my family even. Lucky I'd watched the Japanese version a few times, because I had to watch it in English where there weren't any captions, as the English subtitles were a translation of the Japanese audio and not a transcription of the English. And I think that's, weirdly, when it kind of hit I had something going on. Took me even longer to finally say "I'm lost and I need to figure this out", that's where I'm at now. But in a weird way, I have the character Shouko to thank for it.

What about you all?

Back