deaf and hoh advocate groups

Katniss

Reaction score
First off to clarify I'm hoh. I was wondering what advocacy groups you guys would recommend for the deaf or hoh? By that I mean groups that are fighting for accommodations, equality etc not groups searching for a "cure" (ugh!)

I already know basic ASL and have been taking a lot more classes so eventually I will become fluent. I've also been attending Deaf events when there is one going on to understand the culture better.

Any suggestions on advocate groups? I've been researching but I want your experience. Thanks!

My ex girlfriend took 2 ASL classes at this organization. I'm sure there is a group like this in your area. I have not had anyone advocate for me in term of deaf/hard of hearing service. I would think that this group would put in touch with a group that would advocate for you. I'm just using this as an example. Check out your area.

http://deafhhs.org/

Thanks dereksbicycles for getting back with me. I just wanted to clarify I want to get involved as an advocate making sure the ADA act is being followed(which I know it isn't always) getting more movie theatres to have captioning devices(but ultimately open captioning) and things like that.

I've almost always had to be my own advocate(as I'm sure most of us have). I just wanted to get actively involved with a group focused on hoh/deaf/Deaf equal rights to help advocate for all of us with an organization.

Thanks for helping me!!! Will check it out

Last edited:
Back