Deaf and English Literacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research shows that a child who learns 2 languages simulanteously become proficient in both languages and has good academic performance. Why in the world would we limit our kids from learning as much as possible, especially when kids are enjoying it.

**smh** Do they even realize how utterly stupid that is?

Guess not. Many years, many teachers, many teachers aides, many speech therapist, even special Ed teacher (I not now nor ever was special ed but for most kindergarten teachers tell my mom I "unteachable retarded") all say same thing. Jackasses.

He stated: "Which brings out a serious deficit in hearing education.

Is there not an implication of fault in that statement?

If he is just stating a fact: OK, I get it.

There are several serious flaws in hearing education. Most of them are attributable to the values of hearing culture. Most of those values are twisted and corrupt.

Children are taught they need an education so they can "earn more" than those with lesser educations. Why? Nowhere does anyone even imply that people with more education are smarter, live better lives, or are happier, than those who earn less.

How do they earn more? By going to work for a corporation and getting promoted.

Children are taught "You can be a leader!" Great emphasis and value is placed on leadership. To the point that I have met people who cannot believe there is a single person who has ever lived who does not secretly want to be a LEADER. To the point hearing children envy the bully? Why? Because when all is said and done he had arrived. He has achieved the level of L E A D E R ! And once again no one even suggests leaders are smarter, happier, or live better lives, than those who are not leaders.

Schools do not teach thinking, reasoning, or problem solving skills.

All in all hearing schools teach children to follow the corporate path.

Independence is emphasized but it is directed toward separating yourself from your family and going into major debts you will struggle the rest of your life to pay off. Independent thinking is strongly discouraged.

As to Deaf Education:

I am hearing. I never went to a Deaf school or lived near one. All I have to go by is the happy memories of education I am told of by those Deaf who went there. Whatever its faults Deaf schools leave good memories for those who attended.

Research shows that a child who learns 2 languages simulanteously become proficient in both languages and has good academic performance. Why in the world would we limit our kids from learning as much as possible, especially when kids are enjoying it.

That is true, but only if both are used at the same level simultaneously.

I can attest to that as I have a bilingual child, whose primary language was
first Polish, then English overtook Polish, then she started speak more and more Polish while English was still the main language she use.

So, even if the Polish was actually her first language English second,
actually once she started socializing her vocabulary started to grow more and more in English,
and particularly so once she started preschool and so on.

So, yes, simultaneous - but only if you practice speaking or signing in
both languages at the same level of efficiency.

Fuzzy

That is not correct. You do not have to be able to use both languages at the same level of fluency to use learn both simultaneously bilingually.

Off topic, but I Polish too Fuzzy :) my last name very Polish. Long, scary, random assortment letters. Lol.

Argh yes. My four most hated words school were: "sound it out Sunny". :rl:

Well I hope the tide is turning the other way, as people learn from mistakes
and from the discussion I occasionally read here, mainly from what sometimes I read Shel says, I hope hearing people do realize forcing the deaf people
to "sound it out" is not the greatest idea under the sun.

Fuzzy

Off topic, but I Polish too Fuzzy :) my last name very Polish. Long, scary, random assortment letters. Lol.

Completely unpronounceable!:giggle: I gave up even trying to figure it out!:P

Oh really ?! How nice ! Witam, witam, Sunny Girl :)

(means "I greet you" for inquiring minds)

Fuzzy

Oh, really? you are forgetting I have only hearing family and friends.

also, control those filthy mouth of your ms Springer show.

Fuzzy

That's true for 90% for the born deaf as well, dear. That is those who grew up in the mainstream.

That is not correct. You do not have to be able to use both languages at the same level of fluency to use learn both simultaneously bilingually.

Well I speak from personal experience with my daughter
which clearly shows it is not enough to just learn two languages simultaneously
to be proficient in both.

Fuzzy

That's true for 90% for the born deaf as well, dear. That is those who grew up in the mainstream.

And that's all very well, but since I was losing my hearing quite slowly
I adapted to the hearing world rather well - meaning I faked it rather well,
and as for the the bunch of friends I have - these are the true and tested ones.

So, the implication that I might not be liked "by the hearies" is simply
an incorrect one.

Fuzzy

And that's all very well, but since I was losing my hearing quite slowly
I adapted to the hearing world rather well - meaning I faked it rather well,
and as for the the bunch of friends I have - these are the true and tested ones.

So, the implication that I might not be liked "by the hearies" is simply
an incorrect one.

Fuzzy

And you're saying the rest of us haven't adapted? Many of those born deaf lost more of their hearing later on. I have reason to believe that I lost more of my hearing at age 19 though I don't have proof.

No, I simply saying about myself in regards what was said about me.

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back