Deaf and Depressed in Alaska

AlaskaStar

Reaction score
So, it's been a while since I posted here.

The culture here in Alaska is predominately blue-collar type work. This essentially means that on average the job qualifications requirement include "Answer Phones and assist customers, good communications skills" and a bunch of other requirements. It is essentially on every job posting, even if you are a rain gutter installer or a snow shovel worker, or even a night janitor.

Well, as it goes...

I find myself self employed, job searching, and unable to find work. It's difficult. My resume is several pages thick of highly technical skills of various disciplines.

Now the other side of the Alaskan culture is that there are hardly any deaf people here. Lots of HOH, but the numbers of deaf are so small, it barely registers on government charts. The high number of HOH are from industrial jobs in construction, oil field industry or shops either building new or repairing old.

So in light of the significantly small numbers of deaf people here, the sad fact is that almost nobody knows Sign Language. This is a problem. Couple it with the long dark winters and it can lead to depression, which is the point of this post.

My family full out refuses to learn Sign Language, and in general refuse to write or even text. Family events in general exclusively exclude me from any conversation. I am always the last to know anything going on in the family. I find out that we are adopting a nephew, when he shows up. Nobody tells me before it happens.

As a resident citizen of Alaska, this is my home. I have no requirement to move to any other place on this planet to fit in, be socially acceptable, or anything.

However, the total isolation that occurs because I am invisible to the people around me, is unbearable.
The darkness, the cold, it generally drives people indoors. So, when indoors, and surrounded by other people, especially those whom refuse to have any conversation with me, it only makes things worse.

The only communications that do occur are very utilitarian. “Fix this.” “Car Broke.” “Dishes dirty.” “Plow Driveway.”

There's no 2-way communications at all. No full on conversation in the least bit.

I find myself in depression deep. I fight off suicidal thoughts while simultaneously trying to stand upright let alone deal with all the mentally deaf people I am surrounded by. I have a bad vestibular imbalance that was mild, but was made a lot worse when I was in a wreck and my head struck the steering wheel. The cop lied on official documents which absolved my insurance company from any responsibility for medical injuries, even though the wreck was clearly not in any way fault of mine. Plow truck cut my car in half right down the middle like a hot knife through butter. It sliced from the bumper through the engine and stopped at the windshield. My car went from 55 miles per hour to zero in a whole of 30 inches. The seat belt retract mechanism failed to function and the airbag deployed but wasn't enough.

If I am not trying to prevent gut wrenching projectile vomit, then I am dizzy, and dealing with mentally deaf people.

I know it may be hard to comprehend this, but I have been stood up on so many dates simply because I am deaf. I mean, good riddance to some random shallow-minded idiot, but at just shy of 100 first dates being stood up? That's cruel. They don't even have the decency to pull into the parking lot of where-ever we agree to meet. Never mind the fact of not getting laid. I even tried Craigslist. Not even the desperate scum there had the decency to meet face to face, but considering Craigslist... that scum is relatively indecent to begin with all unto itself.

If that's not enough, when someone notices that I seem a bit distressed, and ask me (write...) about what is going on, and I tell them, they quickly terminate communications and make a quick exit stage left.

The hotlines are voice only. Purple VRS doesn't call to 1-800 numbers and the TTY function of my laptop circa 1997 (yeah... go ahead and laugh...) isn't quite up to par.

So, anyone know the best place that when gray matter goes splatter it makes a huge mess and is difficult to clean up for long periods of time? Suggestions of all types are welcome.

Or, give me some really good reasons to keep fighting. I've already had to fight very bloody tooth and nail for every nano-meter of forward motion since going deaf.

Anyone make it through this? Anyone know how to come out of it?

This is a scream out for something, anything to break. Either something changes or I take the exit. I'm at the end.

Your situation is not too different from a lot of people on this site. It's probably compounded because of your location, but it's not too different.

Jobs:
You don't need a multi-page resume for blue collar work. In fact, it will only show you are over qualified. It should be a page at most since most HR people don't spend time reading multi-page resumes unless the job requires it. It should only contain relevant info for the job itself(tailor it to the job).

Family:
I go through the same thing. I was never included in family conversation when I was a kid and none of my family know or will learn sign. Yes, they do text a little now, but very rarely. It wouldn't surprise me if a new nephew shows up at a party. I'd laugh about it and get to know the kid.

I found the best way to get around this is to break up the family group. Converse with family one-on-one so that the sole focus is on you. Ask that person what's been going on in the family and get updated. In a big group, those people are never gong to talk to you directly so it is better to take a divide and conquer approach.

Dating:
I don't know if you are male or female, but if you are male you must understand that communication is #1 with women. Because of this, you are already one strike down. Good communication if very important to them. Add to that, as I understand it, women are a great minority in Alaska so there is much more competition from other men it's another strike. Know that this is an uphill battle, but not insurmountable. Check out sites like Meetup.com to see about any ASL meetups. Beyond that, you might be surprised that a lot of the HoH people do know sign. Also, check out dating services, but be aware that there are a lot of scammers on deaf ones.

Check out the who's single thread here and look at the years most guys have been single. This is not an aberration, a lot of HoH/deaf guys have a harder time with relationships. However, it does not mean we don't get out there and date. In fact, your dating life might be great, but long term relationships are more unattainable. This is not necessarily a bad thing. You can't compare your life with hearing people, it's not the same thing. We get less dates and less relationships, but that doesn't mean we can't have good ones.

depression:
Privately, seek professional help if possible. You can come here and vent on the form, but the advice you get here is not professional. Keep in mind, we all go through depression so you're not alone. In our group, it is not uncommon.

You're life is different, but it is a life that you have make the best. And, believe me, once you realize it, you'll start looking at the glass as half full instead of half empty.

Thank for sharing what it's like in Alaska. I learn a thing or 2 about culture of Alaska reading your thread. Maybe not something that I would want to experience, but for people who are curious about different cultures.

I'm not a fan of big group gathering either as not many people outside my family signs. Therefore, I learned at an early age to hate large gatherings.

Are there ways to do something for yourself? For example, like start your own auto repair business? Alaska or not, I don't think people will care if you can answer the phone as long as you can fix axle shafts.

I know how you feel about winter part. it can be crazy - but thanks goodness I got kids that keeps me on my toes.

As for counseling part- I really doubt if that will help as Alaska can be so remote, many people can be suicidal due to isolation and lack of human interaction. Even the hermits and loners can be that way so they use supply runs to stores or such just to get out.

I know there is a deaf group in alaska, but I forget exactly where from my past conversation of tech support. I'd start there if you can. However, If I were in your shoes, I'd move somewhere where there is an higher chance of deaf people to interact with and NYS, Oregon, Minnesota, Michigan are similar environments like Alaska, but not as cold, but can give you an outlet to interact/find dates.

I am a guy, so the fact that the available women here are a near priceless commodity is a major force against me.

I wasn't born deaf, I lost 100% of my hearing in November for 2011, so I know what I am missing in general.

The glass is always full, the bottom half with liquid and the top half with air.

I have my own auto repair business. I have run it since 2006, and after my loss of hearing, people quit coming. It matters not that I've never had a warranty issue with any of my work, whether it is an engine rebuild, or transmission rebuild or a total custom job like putting an EFI 454 Chevy engine into a Toyota truck. No problems in the skills department.

The problem is the culture.

Like applying for a job at Home Depot, they are worried that I'd get squished by the forklift. Excuse me, but I know people who could squish themselves while driving the forklift!

I can get a CDL easy enough, but again, even with a CDL, the inability to run the CB Radio and take directions from a pit boss etc doesn't work. And with the anti-texting laws, that just tosses out any chances for using that.

I'm not going to sit here and make excuses, I am just telling it the way it is.

Regarding Family? They aren't very supportive in the least bit, so no loss there. If they are going to kick me to the curb, then good riddance.

My all else fails plans may just happen: Grab my atlatl, bug out bag and walk into the woods forever.

There is a reason why deaf people sometimes move to bigger cities....opportunities for the deaf are much higher.

You can't make progress unless you make changes.

:hug:
It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. The only thing that matters is that you have a glass and there's something in it. Don't give up that glass ;)

It's a struggle. I'm very sorry to hear about your family :( My family is extremely large, 5 brothers and sisters their spouses and children, but we are very spread out now. I live almost 1000 miles away from any of them, thank goodness for facebook!! But even we are together they make an effort to include me. I am not 100% deaf, not with my hearing aids on anyway. But I am profoundly deaf and with all those people together it makes it that much harder to understand anything, but they do try to look at me so I can read their lips. I can't imagine being in the same room with them and being excluded. I said on here not long after I joined the forum that I never feel more alone than when I'm surrounded by people. But maybe that should be changed to lonely. When I am by myself I am okay, but when you get me in the middle of a bunch of people that there feels like there's an invisible wall between us I never feel more lonely. It's weird. But your family??? :hug:

Im late deafened also, but not all at once, I lost in in waves starting when I was 20. I don't know ASL, well not much, and my family doesn't either. What both of us need to do is learn it, and find other people that know....even if it means you have to move.

Last Friday night I was at a bar with a couple girlfriends. I was having a hard time seeing everything their lips were saying and sometimes they'd pull out their cell phones to type what they said. At one point I pulled my hearing aid out of my ear, I don't even remember why, maybe I thought the battery was dead dunno. I also signed a sentence to them. I had been telling them about learning ASL on lifeprint.com and Vicars, the teacher, was very amused by one of his sentences. "Do you think children should change their underwear everyday?" hahaha shouldn't everybody?? But anyway there was a large group sitting behind us and one of the guys noticed everything I was doing and he got my attention to come talk to him. I go over there and he starts signing to me!!! I was floored, "YOU KNOW SIGN??" I flipping started crying in the middle of that bar. That whole group knew sign, his daughter and the mother/aunt of them all is deaf. I had mixed feelings, there were al these people that I could communicate with, with ease!!, if I knew sign. So I was happy, and I was sad, and he was so super nice for understanding how hard it is for me.

They are out there, we just got to find them, and you are not alone. Heck, now have us, and you still have your glass!! :)

I'm Amber btw

I am a lifelong Alaskan. I have travelled forth but always returned. It is a lot like described above but it is surmountable. Anchorage is a difficult place in many ways. I left years ago.
I am only hoh but have been since early teen years. I was doing some research on the subject of Deaf meetups and ASL(you do not say if you sign). I will send what I have to you via private message. There is a really cool place in town with a bunch of good assistive technology and the lady there(married) signs. It is ATLA off of Arctic Blvd.

I do sign, not the best, but I do sign enough to get by.

Anchorage is a place difficult for me to get to mainly because of the vestibular imbalance and this impairs my ability to safely operate a car with any level of regularity- for example a regular 9-5 job that would require I be there on time, means that if I am on a bad dizzy day (like today) then I am not likely to arrive on time because I would be walking there.

If you saw the quality of work I do, you'd be floored. Anything worth doing at all is worth doing to the highest quality possible.

I live a few miles outside of Wasilla, so example Main Street/ Parks Highway intersection, which is the closest for regular goods like groceries is 5 miles away one way.

I have had to walk home from Anchorage more than once, so it's not like I am unable to stick with something and get it done.

Now that you explained the issue with vestibular imbalance I can't help but wonder that deafness is NOT your only issue. For example, you say you run an auto shop but how can you test drive cars? And how do you show up to work at your shop?

Is it at least an option for you to live close to your shop so that you don't even have to drive? Or you could start looking at being a mechanic teacher of some kind.

I know it's tough but sometimes when one door closes, another opens.

I walk a whole 100 feet to the shop. I rebuild engines, transmissions, axles, brakes, ABS, you name it.

As for test drive: the subdivision is is designed with an outer loop of 2 miles with less than 1 car per 2 hours on it at any given time per day, paved roads.

Teaching mechanical stuff is easier said than done, did that in Kodiak but... the students had severe hard time communicate back. Greasy hands and writing tools don't mix very well.

On a closed loop course of 2 miles with no traffic to test cars drastically increases the safety factor for operating with a vestibular imbalance. As for getting parts, I have commercial accounts at the auto supply stores and they deliver when needed. I still can't call them so I have had to find other ways to work around that problem. One texts, one has online capabilities, and the other never has anything in stock so I order and in 5 days they deliver.

Have you tried out relay services like AT&T? They can get around the phone issue.

I don't own a TTY machine. The local phone companies will sell a TTY/TDD for between $6500 and $8000 bucks. I used PurpleVRS, but waiting for an operator for 40 minutes to ask the parts guy how much a part costs is insanely cumbersome.

Most state offices have a TTY/TDD connection number to call, but the reality is that the TTY device is stashed inside a file cabinet down the hall in a closet someplace not hooked up.

Everyone tells me that I am totally eligible for SS medical disability, but after the long drawn out attempts through their process, and being denied, it's not worth it.

On average, I generally work 4x the hours for half the pay of a hearing person.

So not only emotionally drained, but physically drained as well.

40 minutes for an operator? I don't have a TTY machine and use AOL IM to make phone calls through either AT&T or iRelay service. Maybe it's where you are located but every time I use AT&T/iRelay the wait is usually a few seconds the longest I ever waited was a few minutes.

That's just absurd waiting 40 minutes for an operator!

Check out AT&T at AT&T Relay Services | AT&T Relay Services

40 minutes for an operator? I don't have a TTY machine and use AOL IM to make phone calls through either AT&T or iRelay service. Maybe it's where you are located but every time I use AT&T/iRelay the wait is usually a few seconds the longest I ever waited was a few minutes.

That's just absurd waiting 40 minutes for an operator!

Check out AT&T at AT&T Relay Services | AT&T Relay Services

Purple definitely has a staff shortage problem overall. I've had to wait and wait for an interpreter and even longer for their customer care. Try ZVRS.

The local relay service is handled through GCI in Wasilla on Main Street at Bogard in the upstairs of the red building.

And yes, 40 minutes for an operator is a long time to be staring at the screen. I mean if I had a means to make it trigger some small explosive device that would get my attention when an operator was ready, then it'd be worth it.

Alaska is a unique place, and things are, in general tougher to do here in Alaska. The people are tougher as well. Born here and grew up here, I can tell you than when a person is at their limit and ready to splatter gray matter, that they'd exhausted everything, all resources at all angles and even relocated a few times, traded up for a new wife, and made all sorts of life changes before getting to the point where I am.

Comparison is like when I was in California, person gets a flat tire and they just stand there looking at it befuddled. Up here, in Alaska, that tire would be changed using hand tools like it was a NASCAR pit crew of one! No questions, no confusion, not bullcrap. We know how to get it done up here.

However, just being tougher in general doesn't detract that we are human and that whole mess of being human is part of an equation with a stacked deck in favor of the hearies, in the culture that I live... not hard to figure it out there.

That place in Anchorage I am about to sort out of my old e-mail has Captel phones with visible text on a nice screen - I think it is an initial cost of 20 dollars then it is free. We pay a tax here so you can have it for free. Good deal. I did not know about it at all till last week.

The good news is, there is a high demand for skilled auto mechanics & machinists in the mainland. The average service station auto mechanic in the Metro DC area was making $100K per year about 10 years ago. Got any credentials in writing?

Machinists get paid very generously as well.

Yes, some shop owners would question how a deaf guy can troubleshoot cars, but, if they see how good you are, that should put an end to any doubt. We all have to prove our worth anyway.

I'd trust a deaf mechanic. They have increased sensitivity to vibration. So finding problems are easier. Same here.

As a matter of policy, I photograph every build. If there's any questions, I have high resolution photos of everything. It won a court case. Guy took his truck out that I'd freshly rebuild the engine and transmission, and quagmired it hard into some serious rocks, and snapped the bell-housing of the transmission. Photographic evidence showed that when his truck was re-assembled, the dents in the exhaust, the bent radius arms, etc were not like that at the time that it left my shop. The judge reversed the claim order for wasting everyone's time, and resulted in him PAYING ME the $7100 bucks that he claimed in the small claims suit as per the judges order for lying.

How many gigabytes of photo documentation do I need to get a job?

Up here, in Alaska, mechanics are lower than the guy who sweeps the floor at the mini-mart. They aren't paid very well, and treated like scum. Again it's just the culture of the area.

In writing: Federal Emissions Certification from UAA.

In proof: Gigabytes of photos of the work I do.

$100K?

Per year?

Are you joking?

If any mechanic could ever achieve $24K per year up here, he's doing great! You're telling me that you can get 5x the wages down south?

I could see $100K being the 5 year average pay for a mechanic around here...

Back