Deaf "Accessibility"

Kmasta85

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm working on a business project here at the University of Miami (go canes!) and would LOVE to pick your brains a little. First, let me preface this with I am a complete novice to the "deaf world" so please be patient with my ignorance. Also please do not hesitate to point out if anything I say is dumb or offensive, I really don't want to hurt anyone.

I'm a person of "special needs" as well suffering from Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy. I'm not severely disabled, just enough to make everyday a challenge. As my disease progresses, I've been more and more aware of how people and establishments treat those with "special needs." That phrase is the best I can come up with to encompass those who are within my focus; wheelchair dependent, have limited mobility, Deaf/hard of hearing, or Blind/Limited Sight. (If you have a better name, PLEASE let me know.)

My topic of discussion for you all is in regards to public places and what is helpful. I know that personally, I attempt to go about my daily life as independently as possible or at least with little help from my family/friends. When you're going somewhere such as a Restaurant, Movie Theatre, Museum, Hotel, Airline, Zoo Etc. are there certain things that automatically make your life easier? What kind of help is appreciated? What's offensive? I would reallllllllllly appreciate your input because as you can see I'm quite lost.

This is an example someone who is in a wheelchair....they may notice things to the effect of... Does the place have an elevator? If so is it big enough for me move around in it comfortably? Do the doors stay open long enough? Do they have the laser feature that keeps them from closing on me? Are the buttons within reach of someone in a chair? Etc. Hopefully this example will help you understand what I'm looking for.

In advance, THANK YOU, I really appreciate any input you all could offer.
<3 Krista

Back