Day 1 of activated cochlear

HopeRivas

Reaction score
I am new to this platform. I have single sided deafness (R). I have been deaf ince I was a child, and went without a hearing assistance device since I was 6 years old. I recieved the cochlear implant last month and it was activated today. I did not hear any sound, but I am getting tones of pulsating in my head. I don't know if this is normal or not and I am scared I won't eventually hear with this device. Is there anyone on here who can tell me if they had a similar experience on activation... are you hearing things now??

I am new to this platform. I have single sided deafness (R). I have been deaf ince I was a child, and went without a hearing assistance device since I was 6 years old. I recieved the cochlear implant last month and it was activated today. I did not hear any sound, but I am getting tones of pulsating in my head. I don't know if this is normal or not and I am scared I won't eventually hear with this device. Is there anyone on here who can tell me if they had a similar experience on activation... are you hearing things now??
I did not have a similar experience because I wore HAs until I qualified for CIs. I am late deafened. However, I have heard success stories of people who's ear was unstimulated for many years and they eventually could hear sounds and understand some speech. You'll need to give it time and work with your audiologist. Keep wearing the processor as that's the best way to wake up your hearing nerve.

I did not have a similar experience because I wore HAs until I qualified for CIs. I am late deafened. However, I have heard success stories of people who's ear was unstimulated for many years and they eventually could hear sounds and understand some speech. You'll need to give it time and work with your audiologist. Keep wearing the processor as that's the best way to wake up your hearing nerve.
Thank you for your advice. I have worn it all day since got up today. The sensations are a bit overwhelming, but I am going to trust the process.

It's ok to take breaks to give your brain a rest. :) One of the features I like on my processors is the ability to mute them when things are noisy (and I don't need to hear what's going on).

Back