Dating someone who is deaf

bigmac41

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a hearing female who has a question. I have a friend who dated someone who is deaf, but they had too many problems communicating face-to-face to make the relationship work. There were a lot of nonverbals that were misinterpreted on both sides. What is the best way to make a relationship work between someone who hearing and someone who is not?

Hi all. I am a hearing female who has a question. I have a friend who dated someone who is deaf, but they had too many problems communicating face-to-face to make the relationship work. There were a lot of nonverbals that were misinterpreted on both sides. What is the best way to make a relationship work between someone who hearing and someone who is not?

See if there is any common ground as far as communication goes. Is he profoundly deaf? Does he/she or both sign? What about education level? There are many factors that come into play in a relationship like that. There is no "best way" to make a relationship work. The chemistry is either there or it isn't. If it is, they'll find a way to make it work. If not, it isn't meant to be. I'm hearing-impaired and my wife isn't. We've been married 17 years. :)

Great advice

Thanks for advice. You're right, if there's not chemistry, it probably isn't going to work, and if you make it work someone won't be happy. :wave:

Relationships are built on a foundation of trust, compassion, and understanding. If one or another is missing, chances are it wasn't meant to be.

On top of that, communication is so important in any relationship.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Hold no judgment and seek out the truth in others and yourself.

Back