D-Link Router

I don't know which one either LOL. There's so many different kinds. I think you should pick what has 4 port hub with router combo that works with DSL/cable, pick whatever you can afford.

Hey Iceriver I check that the 2 links ahhh I have that before when I live with my 2nd sister that we share the interent that my own computer and her own computer so I will ask her if she is home at my mom's home okay ??

Hey Iceriver I check that the 2 links ahhh I have that before when I live with my 2nd sister that we share the interent that my own computer and her own computer so I will ask her if she is home at my mom's home okay ??

ok sure. thanks.

I have an external wired D-Link that comes with 4 ports (cable/DSL). I love it and never have a problem with it for 1 1/2 year. Some people were not happy because they leave their router on 24/7 which is not good idea - that's why the electronic worn out. I always turn the router and my computer off so that it saves my electricity bill. They are plugged on a surge outlet all the times.

DI.jpg

if you have two desktop computer as both are in different room. I suggest you either to get wireless router or jumper or adapter to outlet that way you couldn't get annoying wire to next room as ethernet plug to "A" desktop and wireless or jumper adapter to "B" desktop in other room. You may not like to have wire all way on floor, wall or on ceil. It show ugly scene.

That's my way to keep thing look "clean" in home.

I have wireless router at home. I always have friend who bright laptop or PDA with wi-fi card to share my isp. Of course, it's totally double-security.

Router don't worn out EVEN if runnin 24/7. Don't you know most business runs their routers all the time and rarely they do break down.
They don't use much electricity, perhaps 50 cents a month! That is laughable, plus most wired routers average cost is 35 dollars.

I recommend against HUB, get Switch, they cost lil more but runs much better because switch has its own "brain" which directs traffic more than brainless hub. What it means is that if using hub, all the garbages goes to every computer and devices, in turn it slows your computer down because computer has to check every garbages in it while Switch takes care of that task and directs the data to right computer/devices.

A router can handle up to 253 PC and share with one Internet gateway!

Wireless is nice, BUT I wouldn't recommend due to security reasons.

If you had problem with router, often it is because it was set up incorrectly or that you didn't set up password protected. Failure to set up password protection would enable any hackers to dismantle your firewall setting and barge in your computers!!!

I have an external wired D-Link that comes with 4 ports (cable/DSL). I love it and never have a problem with it for 1 1/2 year. Some people were not happy because they leave their router on 24/7 which is not good idea - that's why the electronic worn out. I always turn the router and my computer off so that it saves my electricity bill. They are plugged on a surge outlet all the times.

DI.jpg

diehardbiker65 -

I thought that the switcher connects several computer servers for business.

Does a switcher requires a router. Isn't that correct? I'm kinda of lost now.

Router did worn out I had to replace that. I gave to my brother. He experienced similar problem and told me it's bad. It gave my old brother hard time. :giggle:

Router is easy to hook up with fast cable interent and wireless base. I am surfing wireless internet. :cool:

Wireless is nice, BUT I wouldn't recommend due to security reasons.

If you had problem with router, often it is because it was set up incorrectly or that you didn't set up password protected. Failure to set up password protection would enable any hackers to dismantle your firewall setting and barge in your computers!!!

I don't have problem with my wireless router that I had for over 3 years. I hide name of wireless network and 128-bit security.

and you have to be careful how to set correct on 2.4Ghz radio as it don't get mess with cordless phone.

Not necessarily need router for Switch to work with. It can work on its own. Switch has its own brain which directs traffic so that each computer don't have to open packet each time it recieves the data. That is advantage for switch over HUB. Most router has built in switch, you can add up to 4 switch on top of the router. Beyond 4 switch or hubs, then there will be problems going on.

diehardbiker65 -

I thought that the switcher connects several computer servers for business.

Does a switcher requires a router. Isn't that correct? I'm kinda of lost now.

If set up correctly you should be fine, this goes same way with wired routers. Most routers provided by sorenson haven't reconfigure to enchance the security, Most of them have default userid and password! That is scary, because it makes hacker too easy to barge in the computer even if firewall is enable... Password is all hacker needed and once get in router, he would disable the firewall, then boom!

I don't have problem with my wireless router that I had for over 3 years. I hide name of wireless network and 128-bit security.

and you have to be careful how to set correct on 2.4Ghz radio as it don't get mess with cordless phone.

diehardbiker65, you apparently don't know much about the difference between hubs and switches.

For five machines or less, a hub is more efficient than a switch. For more than five though, a switch is usually more efficient.

The fact that hubs are dumb can actually be a good thing. Switches spend time analysing and processing the frames that they receive. Hubs just let them go right through. Switches have to spend time analysing the frames and determining which port to send them out and spit spanning tree frames into the network, hubs don't.

diehardbiker65, you apparently don't know much about the difference between hubs and switches.

For five machines or less, a hub is more efficient than a switch. For more than five though, a switch is usually more efficient.

The fact that hubs are dumb can actually be a good thing. Switches spend time analysing and processing the frames that they receive. Hubs just let them go right through. Switches have to spend time analysing the frames and determining which port to send them out and spit spanning tree frames into the network, hubs don't.
I agree with most of what you are saying. The reason I recommended a hub is because of the simplicity in getting a second system onto the network. It's a no brainer and your average user has no understanding of the complexities of setting up switches, vlans, firewalls and routers. A hub will be cheaper as well. Its the cheapest, quickest and easiest solution. The only downside to a hub is that you are sharing the bandwidth. So what. there are only 2 systems on the network and if you have 10/100 NICS and a 10/100 hub, your bottleneck is your path to the internet anyway. Even with a VP and multiple systems on the network you are not even going to notice any traffic problems.

Yea, I am aware of the differences, and actually you explained right. Yet, I find myself better with switches than hubs. I have tested and see the difference even with 3 machines. Now I have more than 5 anyway.

Back