curious

helloall

Reaction score
Hi there!

I noticed there are a lot of people learning ASL. So question, what made you interested in learning because there could be many reasons.

Mine was that I started learning signed English starting in kindergarten. Then had a quite the break I believe from limited use in 5th and then to none in 6-8th. But then took up ASL in high school and the rest is history.

So come on share. lol

Last edited:
When i was a kid that time i knew how to fingerspelling from the dictionary back in late '70's but not until when i was about 18 yrs old i learned ASL through my ex-b/f that time that was back in 1983 to 1984 just before i graduated from H.S. where my school was very strict about ASL in school but only outside of school was my business to learning ASL to this day.......... i never getting tired of it.... :giggle:

When I was little my mom bought me My Big Book of Signs. As I learned sign Language I just fell in love with it and when I was 15 years old I decided that is what I wanted my career to be. I started taking college classes on August of 2004 and now I am three classes away from getting my associates degree in Sign Language Interpreting. I am very excited to start my career as an interpreter.

Hi there!

I noticed there are a lot of people learning ASL. So question, what made you interested in learning because there could be many reasons.

Mine was that I started learning signed English starting in kindergarten. Then had a quite the break I believe from limited use in 5th and then to none in 6-8th. But then took up ASL in high school and the rest is history.

So come on share. lol

"the rest is history" meaning you love using ASL in your day to day life?

I was working at Sears at the time when a deaf gentleman and his daughter came into the store. I worked in the Lawn and Garden dept. and noticed no one was helping him in the tool dept. I had no sign language experience at the time, so I was a little nervous at the time (I was 18). His daughter interpreted for him and I got him everything he needed. The gentleman came back several times after that and he sought me out personally to help him. We used pen and paper or he would charade to help me understand what he was looking for. I started looking up the manual alphabet and teaching myself. It wasnt until a year later I received a package from my mom, inside was a very old sign language book. On the inside cover was her name, apparently when my mom was in her 20's she took classes and was fluent in ASL at one time. I guess you can say ASL is in my blood :roll: :giggle:

Back