Curious about.. Aspys/Aspergers

UNYTruthHunters

Reaction score
I am curious since I have done reading and found interesting topic: Aspys or known as Aspergers. It is a spectrum of Austism. More likely on the other end of the scale where Austism is. I knew of a boy when I was in Deaf school years ago had Austism and communication between the Deaf and this boy was hard but we were able to communicate with his favorite subject, the 500 or 1000 pieces of puzzles. We would know how he feels when we secretly takes ONE piece and he automatically cries when he knew there was a missing piece.

Well, Aspy, on the other hand is way over the other side and it is more of a social austism. Maybe that is not right way of saying it but a person can communicate and be like us but has a mind of his/her own that really speaks differently. Sometimes not thinking of others but selves. Things like that.

I noticed sometimes Deaf people act like they have Aspys but none of any Deaf people in my whole life ever told me that they have it. I am trying to peice that together because of somewhat similar personalities found in Deaf and in Aspys. This is my research.

Are there any of you have both Deafness/HOH and Aspergers?

I am bilateral DEAF since December 20 2006 and don't consider I have either
"autism" or "Aspergers" symptoms".
In my multiple readings on deafness over the last 20 years- never connected the
conditions" together".
Something new?

We have at least two that I know of. They can decide whether they want to announce it.

I had written a long scientific explanation of why the incidence of spectrum disorders is no higher for us than for hearing people, but then it didn't submit properly and I don't want to retype it.

The short just-trust-me-I-study-the-brain version: We share many traits with them but we develop them through nurture rather than nature. The later someone loses their hearing and the quicker they get HA the less they will develop Aspie-like traits, because it is in part due to remapping of the brain to transfer the resources normally used by hearing to our coping mechanisms instead and neural plasticity decreases with age. The remapping allows us to compensate for our lack of hearing, but it also drastically changes how we process information. Mainstreaming may also increase the incidence of those traits because difficulty communicating and lack of contact with other deafies -> fewer friends and primarily bad experiences trying to interact with people -> frustration with trying to interact with people and decreased desire to do so -> less development of social skills.

I had written a long scientific explanation of why the incidence of spectrum disorders is no higher for us than for hearing people, but then it didn't submit properly and I don't want to retype it.

The short just-trust-me-I-study-the-brain version: We share many traits with them but we develop them through nurture rather than nature. The later someone loses their hearing and the quicker they get HA the less they will develop Aspie-like traits, because it is in part due to remapping of the brain to transfer the resources normally used by hearing to our coping mechanisms instead and neural plasticity decreases with age. The remapping allows us to compensate for our lack of hearing, but it also drastically changes how we process information. Mainstreaming may also increase the incidence of those traits because difficulty communicating and lack of contact with other deafies -> fewer friends and primarily bad experiences trying to interact with people -> frustration with trying to interact with people and decreased desire to do so -> less development of social skills.

I assume you have a masters degree in psychology and/or neurology and studied deaf people for many years?

At this stage of my life-no interest in discovering why I didn't develop either "autism/ or Aspergers" notwithstanding have the genetic to "develop deafness".

I have Asperger's. I am Hard of Hearing, not due to genetics, but because of an accident. Asperger's has absolutely nothing to do with hearing loss, and hearing loss has absolutely nothing to do with Asperger's.

If you have evidence other than observation, rather than study, then present it, but quit trying to tie Autism to Deafness, it's insulting.

What you perceive as Asperger's is nothing more than deaf people being honest, or acting as you see it as "awkward".

Frankly, I find it offensive that you try to link being deaf to Autism, and vice/versa.

Wise words above for serious consideration- the non acceptance of the original hypothesis.

The short just-trust-me-I-study-the-brain version: We share many traits with them but we develop them through nurture rather than nature..

One of my personality quirks is that I never just trust anybody, especially not experts.:lol:

I know that sounds rude, and I don't mean it that at all.

anyway, I'm curious, what traits in particular do you see as shared by both aspies and deaf?

I have Asperger's. I am Hard of Hearing, not due to genetics, but because of an accident. Asperger's has absolutely nothing to do with hearing loss, and hearing loss has absolutely nothing to do with Asperger's.

If you have evidence other than observation, rather than study, then present it, but quit trying to tie Autism to Deafness, it's insulting.

What you perceive as Asperger's is nothing more than deaf people being honest, or acting as you see it as "awkward".

Frankly, I find it offensive that you try to link being deaf to Autism, and vice/versa.

You must not know much at all about deafness. Many deaf people get the diagnosis in error.

It isn't insulting at all, but fairly common.

You must not know much at all about deafness. Many deaf people get the diagnosis in error.

I am curious about why that is, what the similar characteristics are.

Ditto, One thing I have noticed is that doctors seem to automaticly assume that any social delays= Asperger's syndrome. Mainstreamed/solotaire dhh kids very often have social/emotional delays that are simlair to to Asperger's....but not quite there......

completely agrees with you a person with asperger's does have trouble communicating but they don't have to be deaf or HOH. It just that they do have the condition. Also in the DSM V to come in 2013 they hope Asperger's is being taken out of the DSM so if you have the diagnosis. and you have a job and they need to know you were diagnosised before the DSM V came out. otherwise your considering with just having Autism.

Ok, very good! This is quite interesting opinions all of you have given. You are right that the D/HOH have some similiarities to Aspies/Austism. Of course the similiarities however, can be mistaken. I knew that.

To be honest, I tested myself four times online without seeing a doctor and I am just above the line. There are tests online you can take for yourself. 60 points as most severe. 40 points or higher are from borderline to severe Aspie.

Below 40 points provides you that you do not have anything.

Remember, this is not to give you an actual label of an illness or health situation. Always seek for a professional to exam you correctly.

I am in the range of mid-40's--borderline.

Of course, Deaf/HOH tend to be a little behind in development. Often time Hearing people mistaken that D/HOH tend to avoid Hearing people in social life as an ignorance. There are some D/HOH people do that because they are angry at Hearing people for lack of attention they did not get when growing up such as living on campus at a School for the Deaf or at home, parents do not know how to handle a D/HOH child on social, economical, and moral norms.

I recalled when I was younger, around the time after I graduated, some Deaf people told me you can tell the difference between a K-12 former Deaf school student and a mainstreamed Deaf person. I saw that clearly especially in public locations such as restaurants. The raising hand to get sever's attention for more water or get a check. That gives away that person is Deaf School educated. For those who attended mainstreaming programs are more likely to have similar norms of getting a server's attention that Hearing people do. Just wait for the server to come up.

This norm does not mean that a D/HOH who went to a Deaf School is an aspie. That is not true. This is where medical professionals make mistake. Many of you are right.

What would say that some D/HOH happened to have Aspie for sure like some of you do. Just happened like that.

But for some others, some functions are similar to an Aspie would do can be a mistaken or may have at least one thing truly Aspie but not determined with the label. What I mean is that some Deaf/HOH happened to be a little behind on a little thing like what I mentioned about the hand raised in restaurant. The brain process works differently with Deaf people because of hearing. Hearing people hear words and it goes through proper channel in the brain to process what others are saying or hearing music to understand. Deaf/HOH have to use eyes and the process is a little different and a little difficult to process.

But then again, I dream all the time and my wife thinks I am selfish and not considerate of others. She said that looked like Asperger's. Remember my score is about 46. I tested 4 times.. ended up in 44 to 46.

I dream of things or think of things while I am writing this. Or talking with people. Or even driving!! Dangerous but I do all the time!

My IQ is very high even to this day. Almost Mensa and could have been member of Mensa. Yet, I could not stand watching teachers in school. Hated school and college. I do not have a degree. I have a mind set that I am so talented (many say so that I do not need college) that I can get a job but then they play game wanting me to go to college to get a degree!?

Now that sounded like you know what. Oh BTW, talking so much IS a sign!

UNYTruth; I beg to differ in opinion. Or at the very least ask you to present your evidence. Please site your source for the conclusion: "The brain process works differently with Deaf people because of hearing." What peer-reviewed journal did you get this data from? Is there PET scan or MRI or other evidence I am unaware of? Are you saying that the BRAIN PROCESS of Deaf people (which, given it would not be a cultural statement, I presume you mean *deaf* people) is different from that of a hearing person, even if one removed the variable of hearing? I do not understand.

Also.... be really careful of internet tests that "diagnose" diseases. Autistic spectrum disorders are complex neurological-genetic disorders. If you want to know if you have it, see a doctor who specializes in this area.

Not being a doctor etc isn't what is called "neural plasticity" of one's brain is "utilized" when doesn't "hear" at all? Presumably different "area" used when Signs used to communicate vs speech?
Isn't this the "problem" who can benefit from Cochlear Implants?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

teamint said:
UNYTruth; I beg to differ in opinion. Or at the very least ask you to present your evidence. Please site your source for the conclusion: "The brain process works differently with Deaf people because of hearing." What peer-reviewed journal did you get this data from? Is there PET scan or MRI or other evidence I am unaware of? Are you saying that the BRAIN PROCESS of Deaf people (which, given it would not be a cultural statement, I presume you mean *deaf* people) is different from that of a hearing person, even if one removed the variable of hearing? I do not understand.

Also.... be really careful of internet tests that "diagnose" diseases. Autistic spectrum disorders are complex neurological-genetic disorders. If you want to know if you have it, see a doctor who specializes in this area.

Actually there's quite a bit of medical literature on this - ie the differences between a "hearing brain" and "deaf brain". FMRI, PET as well as many other "functional tests" show that in deaf people entire sections of the brain function differently. The most interesting is the changed is the vision and hearing sections, which undergo some rather dramatic differences. (The neuroplastic effect).

Have you not done a Neuro rotation yet?

It's a similar, but different series of effects that are seen with people who have had (partial/complete) lobectomies or had brain damage due to stroke, oxygen deprivation etc.

Hi all. Last month I was diagnosed with borderline Autism/Asperger's and I'm hearing but I mumble when I talk. Neuropsychologist told me I have speech and/or language delays and/or problems. Signing is my second language but prefer it to be my first as I get sick of repeating myself constantly over the phone and in person but most people I know (and I don't know many) don't use sign (mainly family and close friends of family don't know sign). I do have many deaf and/or HOH friends though. I can't talk to them much except through text and email but that's very rare as they use Sorenson VP. One deaf person doesn't have the Internet nor a cell phone and I can't talk to her. I haven't talked to her since high school. She was the first to teach me signs. I miss her. I hope one day I can talk to her again. She does use Sorenson too. :(

I talked to Sorenson and told them all of this but the first time I guess I should have mentioned I use sign as second language 'cause they approved me before I said this then when I told them they denied me. I'm so upset. For me, it is much easier to communicate through text, email, and sign than it is over the phone using my voice. I emailed my neuropsychologist today and told him what I tried to do and asked if he could help me get a VP or something (not just with Sorenson but something else..anything).

I'm 38 years old now. So of course speech is my main thing 'cause of the way I was raised and such but as I said I prefer to sign over speech whenever I can. BTW if you would like to be friends with me that would be awesome! :)

Gidday everyone.

I wasn't born hearing impaired. I lost it when I was 18months old not long after I received after birth baby vaccination. Also I developed mild symptoms of autism since then as well. Then got diagnosed with it at age of 12 which is 9 years ago.

I believe it got to do with the baby vaccinations, it's really bad thing.

Back