Cultural Difference - Hearing and Deaf

It's like I said in another thread....It's like people are trying to excuse rude as being blunt. The house price situation fits the blunt label for me. Excrement??? Not so much

The funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I actually laughed. Thanks. :wave:

Yes, I know ASL and have deaf friends and not just in Florida....I've noticed that the ladies have better manners than the men....(and probably so the same with hearies)....Good manners can be taught and learned...(same as for the Tipping thread you started before)....

As for not knowing how someone can deliberately fart....haha!....my boys have deliberately ripped them off in their rooms, having a contest of sorts...but that's their rooms, not the dinner table or the living/den area where we relax or around guests or at a restaurant, etc....Time & a place for everything, ya know?.....And they don't fart around their girlfriends either...If you believe that women like it, well, I don't think so.

It's a fact. Some of us can hear it, some cannot. This "we" business is just silly. Recognize the diversity of people with hearing loss.

It's like I said in another thread....It's like people are trying to excuse rude as being blunt. The house price situation fits the blunt label for me. Excrement??? Not so much

The part I put is bold in the quote is what I have been trying to come up with the clearest way to say. There are times when it seems that some posters (and no I cannot give exact examples at this time) are trying to see how far they can go and still excuse it as "blunt"!

tumblr_m329pqP3WY1r80nho.gif

The part I put is bold in the quote is what I have been trying to come up with the clearest way to say. There are times when it seems that some posters (and no I cannot give exact examples at this time) are trying to see how far they can go and still excuse it as "blunt"!

The irony is, many of those same people complain about others who ask questions like "What is it like to be deaf?" "How did you become deaf?" or "Why don't you have a CI?" I mean,it's pretty hypocritical for one to excuse their own behavior as being blunt, but not granting that same privilege to someone else.

Personally, I answer those questions all the time, they never bothered me.

Wait is it really fine to talk about how ur poop went and explain it to ur family while ur eating???

I'll agree that it's quite a shocking subject to discuss for those who aren't used to deaf culture, but I can definitely understand the lack of signs for specific trends in speech with those of us who don't use sign language for can use in our conversations.

In any case, speaking from someone in the "hearing" world so to speak, this sort of behaviour wouldn't be acceptable whilst at the table - but I do appreciate the cultural difference, and the difficulty in having any form of "eggshell" language to hand. The actors did perhaps exaggerate it, but I think it was quite a good way to show it in any case - even if it does seem slightly silly! :)

Let's not overanalyze it. I for one thought it was kinda funny. Of course I'd never describe how my poops look, smell, and/or whatever, but cmon people.. Laugh. :)

Let's not overanalyze it. I for one thought it was kinda funny. Of course I'd never describe how my poops look, smell, and/or whatever, but cmon people.. Laugh. :)

Perfectly written.

Everyone's got their own idea of rudeness and bluntness. What is acceptable to one may not be to another, and vice versa. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Look >> What's My Pee Telling Me? - The New Book by Josh Richman & Anish Sheth M.D. - Chronicle Books

and here
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Your-Poo-Telling-You/dp/0811857824]Amazon.com: What's Your Poo Telling You? (9780811857826): Anish Sheth, Josh Richman: Books[/ame]

and i have it in my loo room...

IMG_2221.jpg

not really. it's deaf culture *shrug*

but you're missing the point.

you are mistaking 'deaf culture' with 'lack of culture'.

Sadly, too many deaf people think being rude mean being open.
It is not so.

Rules of etiquette apply to both deaf and hearing alike. without exception.

Fuzzy

Everyone's got their own idea of rudeness and bluntness. What is acceptable to one may not be to another, and vice versa. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Actually, no.
The rules of what's considered good or bad manners is clearly defined by and in society.

Good manners is the practice of making the people around you feel comfortable. Right conduct is respecting others, present or not present, and others property.

Read more: What are good manners and right conduct

Is as simple as that.
If you are unsure whether or not your behavior is considered "good manners", there is always Miss Manners - the Queen and Authority of Good Manners
-to ask for advice.

Miss Manners

Fuzzy

Actually, no.
The rules of what's considered good or bad manners is clearly defined by and in society.

Good manners is the practice of making the people around you feel comfortable. Right conduct is respecting others, present or not present, and others property.

Thank you for affirming what I just said (in the bold). What is acceptable to one (that makes them comfortable as you stated) may not be acceptable to another. At that time it may be appropriate to change the subject.

Still doesn't change what people think is rude or blunt. You can't speak for what others view as such.

Pretty sure you've heard "there's a time and place for everything"....and no matter what culture, it's a disgusting thing to say while eating.

Inasmuch as farting at the dinner table...if the family were just sitting around and shooting the bull, I can see someone saying such things as this and get a big laugh out of it, as I probably would say ''ewwww"...and laugh also. So in this video, the man was eating at the time, if he wasn't, then no big deal. I'm sure if we went out to eat, and I excused myself to the bathroom and came back and told you "all about it"....just don't believe you would like that, and vise-versa...it would be gross.

I agree RR. Also there was a lady at the table. I can understand about being blunt, but you still need to be respectful to others. I raised three kids, and yes when there were a bunch of boys over, you would never enter my sons room.

Thank you for affirming what I just said (in the bold). What is acceptable to one (that makes them comfortable as you stated) may not be acceptable to another. At that time it may be appropriate to change the subject.

Still doesn't change what people think is rude or blunt. You can't speak for what others view as such.

I really don't think we agree. I really don't think I am affirming what you've said.
In bold or otherwise.
and this:
What is acceptable to one (that makes them comfortable as you stated
is so NOT what I stated.
I am sorry but you badly misunderstood.

I say, there is one set of rules that states what's rude and what's not,
what's appropriate and what's not.

Just because someone for example feels comfortable taking about poop at the dining table
doesn't mean it is acceptable or considered good manners. It is NOT, period.

Fuzzy

:lol:

Sorry you are having yet another bad day here.

You can have your opinion, I'll have mine.

:lol: Why must SOME of you have a hard time when others are entitled to have their own opinions?

Back