Cross your fingers...

My hearing test is already in the percent to qualify. The testing for me is to see weither or not I able to get the surgery. My word recognition is now down to 60%. It used to be up to in the 80 percental bracket with my old hearing aids.

I would like to get the Harmony HiRes.

Good luck and best wishes.

A wow on your word recognition mine was down to 17% left ear and 1% right ear. Let us know what is going on.

Yeah, I know my word reognition is pretty high for someone who has a moderate/severe hearing impairment. I am barely hitting the minimum requirement for the CI. :Ohno:

I'll let everyone know what the doctor says as soon as I know.

Thanks for the encouragement. :ty:

w my word reognition is pretty high for someone who has a moderate/severe hearing impairment. I am barely hitting the minimum requirement for the CI.
ladycassia, if you have recruitment or tintitas MENTION that. It can often tip the scales towards acceptance.

Yeah, I know my word reognition is pretty high for someone who has a moderate/severe hearing impairment. I am barely hitting the minimum requirement for the CI. :Ohno:

I'll let everyone know what the doctor says as soon as I know.

Thanks for the encouragement. :ty:

Good luck! If you've already suffered a decrease in your hearing since when you were scoring 80% then it's possible it will happen again in the future as losses often happen progressively. So if you don't make it this time, you probably will eventually.

ladycassia, if you have recruitment or tintitas MENTION that. It can often tip the scales towards acceptance.

I already have told them that I have tetinitus. The tetinitus is so bad I can barely concentrate on the tasks I need to complete.

I am fortunate that I did manage to pass my classes with really good grades with the bad tetinitus and lack of hearing. Two A's, Two B's and one C. The C was in Calculus...which isn't really that bad for the subject for me.

I already have told them that I have tetinitus. The tetinitus is so bad I can barely concentrate on the tasks I need to complete.
Oh now I remember the specifics of your case. Have you really emphasized how bad it is? Hmmmmm..........................jillo and our resident researchers do you think you might be able to dig up a bit on how they've been finding that CIs have helped people with severe tintituas/Meinere's? That might help tilt the decision towards implantation.

Oh now I remember the specifics of your case. Have you really emphasized how bad it is? Hmmmmm..........................jillo and our resident researchers do you think you might be able to dig up a bit on how they've been finding that CIs have helped people with severe tintituas/Meinere's? That might help tilt the decision towards implantation.

I'll give it a shot, dd.

B/c the way I'm thinking is that they might think that you're one of those folks who HAS to have the latest technology. Those people are annoying b/c they tend to make docs and audis think that everyone who's looking into CI is a latest technology junkie. Bringing in stuff that backs up the reason why you wanna get implanted, could tip the scales towards approval. Oh, and GOOD LUCK.
Are you being seen at Boys Town?

This is a recent abstract. I wish I had full-text:

From Prog Brain Res, 2007;166:347-55: Cochlear implants and tinnitus

The clinical observation that multichannel intra-cochlear cochlear implants have a suppressive effect on tinnitus in profoundly deaf patients is supported by many published studies. Whilst there are problems with that literature, specifically in the way that tinnitus outcomes are reported, the finding of tinnitus benefit is consistent. New developments in this area include the use of functional imaging to investigate tinnitus suppression by cochlear implant stimulation and consideration of a reported worsening effect on tinnitus of binaural implantation. Following work on hearing aids, it is suggested that optimization of the benefit of monaural cochlear implantation on tinnitus in a tinnitus-specific electrode configuration might include the use of a low knee point compression algorithm and disabling directional microphone function: these strategies are potentially also of benefit in patients whose tinnitus results in sleep disturbance. Opportunities for stimulation strategies for tinnitus suppression that bypass speech processing are also identified.

More -

From Acta Otolaryngol, 2007 Aug 22;:1-5: The effect of unilateral multichannel cochlear implant on bilaterally perceived tinnitus

Conclusions. Available multichannel cochlear implants (CIs) provide effective tinnitus suppression. More sophisticated speech strategies are more effective than analogue or slow strategies. The mechanisms by which tinnitus is suppressed by CIs are unclear; however, both acoustic masking and reorganization of the right auditory association cortex induced by the CI are possible mechanisms. CI significantly reduced the tinnitus-related handicap as assessed by the Tinnitus handicap Inventory (THI). Objective. The objective of the study was to evaluate the effects of a unilateral CI on bilaterally perceived tinnitus. Patients and methods. Forty-one profoundly deaf patients implanted with a multichannel CI reporting bilateral tinnitus were evaluated. All patients were asked to complete a questionnaire that evaluated the presence, location and intensity of tinnitus before and after cochlear implantation. Results. Seven patients (17%) reported the perception of a 'new tinnitus' after surgery. With the CI off tinnitus was abolished in 23 patients (56.1%) in the implanted ear and in 22 patients (53.6%) in the contralateral ear. With the CI on tinnitus was abolished in the ipsilateral ear in 27 patients (65.8%) and in the contralateral ear in 27 patients (65.8%). Statistical analysis showed a significant reduction of the total THI score and of each subscale score (p<0.001).

From Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2007 Oct;264(10):1145-9: Tinnitus modifications after cochlear implantation

Tinnitus can be defined as a phantom sensation in the absence of an external sound. In our study, we evaluated the effect of cochlear implant on tinnitus evolution. Among adult, postlingually deaf patients who underwent cochlear implantation at our clinic, we selected 20 subjects with pre-implantation tinnitus (group A) and 10 subjects without pre-implantation tinnitus (group B). Pre- and post-surgery tinnitus was assessed through two questionnaires: the first one dealing with tinnitus characteristics and psychosocial impact, and the second one represented by THI, an internationally validated score of evaluation of the effects of tinnitus on patient's emotions and activities of daily living. None of the patients belonging to group B developed tinnitus after surgery. As for group A, 40% of patients declared suppression of tinnitus, 30% attenuation of tinnitus after surgery, 25% reported tinnitus was unchanged and 5% reported worsening of tinnitus. In the nine patients with bilateral tinnitus (45%), after implantation tinnitus disappeared from both sides in four patients and attenuated bilaterally in four patients. A comparison between pre- and post-implantation THI scores showed decreased score in 65% of cases, unchanged score in 30% and increased score in 5%. The beneficial effect of cochlear implant on tinnitus, reported by a majority of patients, could be due to acoustic masking, to direct electrical stimulation of the acoustic nerve, and above all to a possible cochlear implantation dependent reorganization of the central auditory pathways and associative cerebral areas. In the light of these results, the authors propose (1) to include tinnitus in the selection criteria of which ear to implant; (2) to consider implantation eligibility for patients with bilateral severe hearing loss associated with severe tinnitus; and (3) to inform patients about the small risk of post-operative tinnitus worsening.

From Int Tinnitus J. 2006;12(2):172-4: Can cochlear implants decrease tinnitus

Suppression of tinnitus by electrical stimulation via a cochlear implant has been studied in recent years. Some individuals who undergo cochlear implant surgery report total or partial relief of the symptoms even in the contralateral ear. The mechanisms involved in this suppression are not clear. The results obtained in our study demonstrated an improvement of 71% in 29 implant cases, confirming data found in the literature. Our aim was to study tinnitus in individuals before surgery and after cochlear implant activation and to observe improvement in the perception of tinnitus, comparing these results with data in the literature. We conducted a retrospective study of 29 postlingual adults who had profound sensorineural hearing loss and underwent cochlear implant surgery at the cochlear implant sector of the Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Department, University of Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil, between May 2003 and June 2005. The device employed in this procedure was the Nucleus 24K multichannel device (Cochlear Ltd, Lane Cove, Australia). After the internal component was activated, patients completed a questionnaire. Before surgery, 21 of the 29 patients (72%) who later underwent cochlear implant surgery presented with tinnitus, which was bilateral in 14 cases (67%). After the cochlear implant was activated, seven patients (33%) presented with total suppression, and eight patients (39%) reported partial relief. In the 14 cases with bilateral symptoms, tinnitus was totally suppressed or decreased in both ears in 12 cases (86%). Individuals who underwent multichannel cochlear implant surgery presented with reduced tinnitus even in the contralateral ear.

This is confusing to me, but maybe not others -

From Int Tinnitus J. 2005;11(1):85-91: Auditory electrical tinnitus suppression in patients with and without implants

The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of electrical tinnitus suppression in two groups of chronic severe tinnitus sufferers. Through standard tinnitus questionnaires, we compared the effectiveness of extratympanic and intratympanic auditory electrical stimulation (AES) by cochlear implants (CI) for the suppression or abolition of the perception of tinnitus and the decrease of its associated complaints. We made otolaryngological and comprehensive audiological assessment and also tinnitus measurement in each group of patients before and after AES and 50 days later. We investigated the dimensions of psychological complaints due to chronic and disabling tinnitus by means of the tinnitus questionnaire (TQ). The control examination during at least seven sessions (50 days) after AES in the group of patients without implants showed improvement in 20 of 32 patients (62.5%); 12 (37.5%) did not notice any change. In the comparative group of patients with implants, improvement occurred in 16 of 20 patients (75%); during the switch-on of the speech processor, these patients reported significant attenuation or complete suppression of their tinnitus. Complete suppression of the tinnitus after CI was observed for 11 patients (55%), and 5 patients (25%) demonstrated significant attenuation of tinnitus. Nonsuppression of tinnitus was observed for only 4 patients (25%). None of our patients was affected by an increment in the tinnitus owing to CI. The differences of means of scores in the standard TQ were significant in both groups of patients. A comparison of TQ score differences between patients with and without implants showed no significance. We concluded that AES is a useful and effective therapeutic intervention in patients with tinnitus. Extratympanic AES reduces the effects of the tinnitus but presents limitations, mainly owing to the short duration of the electrical residual inhibition of the tinnitus. CI is shown to be more efficient for the treatment of tinnitus, mainly because the electrical stimulation affects a wider area of the cochlea and is presented for longer sessions. Therefore, patients affected by incapacitating tinnitus should be considered for continuous use of electrical stimulation.

Pubmed has many other articles, but I must study! Maybe Jillio or another will post more.

Kaitin great job as always.

My tinnutis disappeared after activation. It got worst after surgery, but when they turned me on it left completely. I hope the same happens to you.

Same here - my tinnitus has improved significantly since CI :)

Thanks Katin! You rock!!!!! Now LadyCassia, print out the case studies, and bring them along!

The goal of cochlear implantation is to restore hearing to people who are functionally deaf. Tinnitus is a common perception among deaf people. If a cochlear implant is successful and allows the patient to hear some external sounds, this usually reduces the perception of tinnitus, especially on the implanted side. Numerous studies reported that cochlear implants reduced or suppressed tinnitus for a majority of patients who experienced tinnitus prior to implantation (Brackmann, 1981; Tyler & Kelsay, 1990; McKerrow et al, 1991; Souliere et al, 1992; Ito, 1997; Dauman, 2000; Ruckenstein et al, 2001).

Mo B, Harris S, Lindbaek M.
ENT-Department Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway. birger.mo@labmed.uio.no
As part of a quality of life study, 84 patients who received multichannel intra-cochlear cochlear implants (CIs) were evaluated regarding tinnitus problems by a questionnaire. As controls, 60 hearing aid (HA) users and 35 non-operated CI candidates were used. The prevalence of tinnitus in the CI group was 70%, and that of troublesome tinnitus was 35%. In the two other groups, the prevalences of tinnitus were 40% (HA) and 74% (non-CI). Twenty-three per cent of HA users and 51% of non-operated CI candidates had troublesome tinnitus. CIs were found to be superior to HAs in reducing tinnitus, 54% of the CI patients with tinnitus experiencing a reduction in tinnitus when using a CI. In the other two groups, 4% of HA users and 23% of non-operated CI candidates experienced a reduction in tinnitus when using an HA. Eight per cent of the CI patients with tinnitus experienced an increase in tinnitus when using their implant. Not having paid employment was independently associated with troublesome tinnitus in all three groups.PMID: 12477173 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of CIs on tinnitus. Several investigators have reported significant relief from tinnitus following cochlear implantation. Overall, 71% to 92% of the patients report tinnitus suppression or elimination due to CIs, especially in the ear with the implant. In addition, many patients report relief in the nonimplanted ear.8-11 Furthermore, several patients experience relief for 60 seconds to several hours after the CI is turned off.9 Up to 9% of patients may report exacerbation of tinnitus, suggesting a relatively small risk of increase in tinnitus following cochlear implants.12
Mo et al5 compared the effect of hearing aid use and CI use on troublesome tinnitus. A reduction in troublesome tinnitus was reported by 54% of the CI patients, while only 23% of the hearing aid users who were candidates for CI reported reduction.
Overall, the above findings suggest that CIs can provide at least some, if not complete, relief from tinnitus for a majority of patients.
Potential Benefits of Cochlear Implants for Individuals Who Communicate Exclusively Through Sign Language | October 2007 | The Hearing Review

Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy ever since I got back from Omaha.

The appointments went well. From the looks of it, they will approve the CI, but the Insurance will most likely deny my claim.

Sucks. We'll find out if it's due to the fact that I can hear out of my other ear or my age (since I am under my mom's insurance and I am close to being 25, which is the age they stop the insurance for me). If it's the fact that I can hear out of my other ear, then the doctor will give us the number to the lawyer that lives in Cali that deals with this kind of crap and get me the CI. If it's my age, I'll have to wait till I get married and do it under my fiance`s insurance. Bleah.

Drama...I severly hate drama.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy ever since I got back from Omaha.

The appointments went well. From the looks of it, they will approve the CI, but the Insurance will most likely deny my claim.

Sucks. We'll find out if it's due to the fact that I can hear out of my other ear or my age (since I am under my mom's insurance and I am close to being 25, which is the age they stop the insurance for me). If it's the fact that I can hear out of my other ear, then the doctor will give us the number to the lawyer that lives in Cali that deals with this kind of crap and get me the CI. If it's my age, I'll have to wait till I get married and do it under my fiance`s insurance. Bleah.

Drama...I severly hate drama.

I had to go through it for a year. But I have my implants and it all worked out for me. The organization your doctor told you about is Let Them Hear foundation. They took care of mine. They are fantastic. You need to visit the web site at letthemhear.org. They are the best.

It really does not matter with insurance, most deny the coverage. My problem was I wanted bilateral and they don't cover bilateral. I was approved right away for one ear. So file insurance and then talk to let them hear.

I had to go through it for a year. But I have my implants and it all worked out for me. The organization your doctor told you about is Let Them Hear foundation. They took care of mine. They are fantastic. You need to visit the web site at letthemhear.org. They are the best.

It really does not matter with insurance, most deny the coverage. My problem was I wanted bilateral and they don't cover bilateral. I was approved right away for one ear. So file insurance and then talk to let them hear.

Thanks for the advice. I will most certainly look into it.

LadyCassia, did you get evaluated at a really good CI clinic? I'm wondering if maybe you might not have to deal with Let Them Hear, if your audi/ENT etc wrote to your insurance company to justify you getting implanted. I mean this is somewhat unusual. I think they might approve it if youre doctors emphasized to the CI clinic that you're interested in it b/c of your severe tintitas.
You said that you can hear out of your other ear......does that mean you have kinda a "lopsided" loss? Is your other ear "dead" or pretty much so?

LadyCassia, did you get evaluated at a really good CI clinic? I'm wondering if maybe you might not have to deal with Let Them Hear, if your audi/ENT etc wrote to your insurance company to justify you getting implanted. I mean this is somewhat unusual. I think they might approve it if youre doctors emphasized to the CI clinic that you're interested in it b/c of your severe tintitas.
You said that you can hear out of your other ear......does that mean you have kinda a "lopsided" loss? Is your other ear "dead" or pretty much so?

I went to the best Audiology/CI in the midwest area. Boys Town National Hospital. I don't know exactly what all is going on as for insurance or what the CI team will decide. From what I gathered from the people who interviewed me they seem certain that I should get it, but that may be hindered by the insurance.

Insurance companies tend to do what ever they can to avoid having to pay for these kind of things. Especially the particular insurance that my mother has. The doctor told me that the insurance company that my mother has is basically have a stick up their butt and they will most likely decide that I have enough hearing to survive.

I can only hear out of my other ear with the aid of a hearing aid. I have a moderate/severe hearing loss on my left ear. So yes I do have a loopsided loss as of right now. I do not know when my left ear will go (hopefully not anytime soon).

My right ear can hear some sound but it is not recognizable and it hurts when I do wear my hearing aid. I also have severe tetinitus in my right ear due to the drastic hearing loss. I basically consider the ear dead now due to the fact that I cannot get any benefit from a hearing aid and any sound that goes into that ear severely hurts me (I usually end up crying because it hurts that bad).

I am trying to get the CI because of the fact that I cannot live like I missing on half the world anymore. I am a Biology major. I am almost through college and I would love to graduate soon. The hearing loss has severely hindered me personally, academically and socially. I just would like to have my life back. I am tired of sitting at home and not being able to go out. I just can't hear my friends when I go out to public (all of them are hearing). The tetinitus is a part of the reasons why I want the CI but not the whole reason. I am only asking for my life back.

The only thing I know is that the CI team is going to review my case on Wednesday at lunch time cause that is the time that they all meet to discuss their cases. I also know that they will be including my normal audiologist into the meeting so she definately will be rooting for my cause.

I will update you guys once I know what all is going on.

Hopefully this will clear up any questions that you have. If you are still confuse please go ahead and ask... I am willing to clear things up for you.

Back